Who EDC's spare battery?

litework

Newly Enlightened
The flashlight I "use" most often is a Tiablo MA6. I primarily use a 17670 rechargeable battery for it, but it can run on CR123s. I carry two 123s in my briefcase, along with a SF G2L that has CR123s down the tube. In my truck is a Fenix T1 that also uses CR123s. At my desk, I carry two spare 123s. I do not carry spare batteries in my pants' pocket unless I know I'm going to be working in the dark, and I know I'm going to be away from my briefcase, truck or desk. I do carry a single cell 123 flashlight in my pocket that should enable me to get to my briefcase, truck or desk.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
to srvctec --

Thank you for that tip about the Hobby Lobby tubes.

:twothumbs
_

You're welcome! :D I was hoping someone could get some use out of that idea. I started a thread almost 2 years ago in search of waterproof, single AA battery carriers on the cheap as well as form fitting so they wouldn't be too big for my pocket. It took nearly a year to come up with that idea. Here's the original thread. There were some good ideas by others in that thread as well.

soffiler

Enlightened
My EDC is a whole system based around both CR123A and AAA.

On my person, I carry a P1D-CE plus a Battery Junction coin-cell LED on my key ring. I do not usually carry a spare CR123A on my person, but I do tend to watch the level with a ZTS-Mini and I do tend to use low mode quite a bit.

In my man-purse (currently a Max Neatfreak, soon to be a Last Resort when my B-day rolls around) I've got a capped tube, like a cigar tube, that perfectly fits five CR123A and on my main key carabiner I have a waterproof pill bottle that fits one CR123A plus a cotton ball (also good as firestarter). That can be easily slipped in a pocket if I know my P1D-CE cell is getting down to 40% or less.

Then there is the AAA system. In the manpurse I have a Coast Focusing Lenser, a Coast Dual-Color, and a Princeton Tec Impact-II, and a Mag Soli, all running Eneloops. This gives me a wide choice from ~150 lumens OTF, to ~20 floody lumens, to ~2 lumens, plus red. The Impact-II (4xAAA) is mostly considered a waterproof spares carrier for the other lights. Then there's a 35mm film canister with another set of spare AAA, and these are alkalines. Since all the AAA lights are direct drive, they'll run for many hours at reduced output on a set of slowly dying alky's.

I'll have to do some math some day to figure out how much runtime I am carrying with this flexible system. It's a lot.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Sure, when I have my 6D M*g attached to my belt, I carry....

no really, depending on the light I'll have a 14500, RCR123 or AA as a backup.

This company has some quality cases that lets you carry an EDC with a spare: (ex. 87SA)

http://www.rainbowofcalifornia.com/bags.htm

Fird

Enlightened
Currently I carry 1 spare 18650 in its own pocket in my jacket. Right now I'm looking for a belt holster that will allow me to carry 2 more cells in separate cell-sized pouches/tubes as well as my CL1H V3.0 (as I have already destroyed the belt clip).

It's really really nice to be able to know that I can flip my light on, and expect 1-2 hours at full power, or more like 6-8 on low (my 18650's = low capacity), and then have a spare cell I can just pop in.

Fird

Last edited:

chuck4570

Enlightened
I never carry a spare battery on me, but I always have them close. I keep full Surefire spares carriers in both trucks, my desk at work, and in my bag that is always close by.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ed I like your setup....isn't the Inova a long lasting flashlight? :twothumbs

Personally I EDC extra batts whenever I go out of town...

Thanks. I've found that my Inova X5 gets a lot more use nowadays, too. I like the holster I bought so much, I bought a second one to have when this one wears out!

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my bag for work I carry a pouch (old gameboy color carry pouch) that holds:
- vapex battery case with 2x AA nimh, 1x AA alkaline, 1x AAA nimh
- cheap 'n' cheerful small battery tester
- a couple of sealed fauxtons (in original packaging)
- Jetbeam C-LE with eneloop
- Emergency mobile phone charger (takes 1xAA)

That bag will also go with me if I go on an extended trip. When I'm just out and about I tend to carry a spare flashlight instead.

What spares are for what:
- 2xAA nimh: L2D-RB100
- 1xAA alkaline: emergency spare for mobile phonecharger
- 1xAAA nimh: L0D-CE

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I do on the job with my 6P
I inspect telco rack-cabinets for various defects. Anything from sheetmetal scratches/rust, to poorly routed cables, rivet/screw defects, damaged connectors/cables..etc.. So things like shadow rendition, color accuracy, non-glaring light when used around zinc-plated metals are very important. As well as lumen output and beam pattern.

in a nutshell I prefer my incandescent 6P over my lowes task force for these reasons. However I need enough run time to get me through 1-2 hours of use per day (worst case). So I carry 4 extra cells in my backpack. and use the tactical thumb button often to conserve battery power. I find the 6P perfect for my line of work.... but it eats batteries:sigh:

IMHO the TF is a little harsh on the eyes in this application, but I can get by all week on just a pair of cells.

I have a cree DX drop in on order, I'm curious how well that compares to the lowes TF. The two have completely different optical systems, the TF is a Fraen refracting lens while the DX is a MOP reflector.

Last edited:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes I will carry an extra battery for my Draco in my coin pocket, but then again the Draco battery is TINY :grin2:

z282z06

Newly Enlightened
nearly all my lights run on 123 lithiums so i carry two extras in the watch pocket of my jeans. my keychain light doesnt get enough use to warrant a spare in my pants i keep aaa's in my car for that.:)
I carry a set in my watch pocket also. I only EDC my E2e or an L1, so 1 set of spares is fine. I do have an sc-1 in the truck with a spare bulb and 4 batts also, and I am never far away from my truck.