Who else enjoys flying? I know there are fellow pilots& A&P's on here with stories

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Who else enjoys flying? I know there are fellow pilots& A&P's on here with storie

Whilst I don't know heaps about the Dakota in general, The Cherokee 235 ( early Dakota ) was characterised by the fact that you could load in 4 x 200 pounders and still add full fuel and bags, a true take everything tourer. Just make sure your c of g was within limits and the doors would close, and off you go !! ( within reason ). 235 HP driving a 78" Sensenich 2 blade was enough. To me, adding a CS prop complicates things a bit, even for the few extra knots it gives. Like all 235-250 HP carb Lycs you had to keep an eye on/ear open for carb ice. Could come as a bit of a shock if you'd let down into a cct after a couple of hours on the right day and pulled heat on base ( 'gosh, the engine sounds unhappy', springs to mind ). Ask your instructor how carb ice and constant speed prop can affect the serenity of a flight !! Not such an issue with injection, but NOT unknown !!
Cheers again,
Mike.
And that capability of the 235/Dakota is what I'm wanting. As for carb ice I turn on the carb heat at different times during the flight just to be on the safe side

I personally enjoy flying, whether I'm a passenger or the pilot. Obviously it's more enjoyable when I'm the pilot!!
My thoughts exactly!

harro

Enlightened
Re: Who else enjoys flying? I know there are fellow pilots& A&P's on here with storie

And that capability of the 235/Dakota is what I'm wanting. As for carb ice I turn on the carb heat at different times during the flight just to be on the safe side

A very good practice. Especially those humid days. You can create 'ice' by use of carb heat ( lifting of venturi temp to critical condition levels ) Whereapon ice will form.

harro

Enlightened

Its all good !! I would find my pax asking ' did you see that ' or ' did you see this ' ? to which I would generally answer ' no '. Not being standoffish, just concentrating hard on the task at hand, haha. Yes, you do see so much more in the right seat. I found it great to fly as pax also. You DO enjoy the flight.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

Im not a pilot, but i do enjoy flying in anything other than a commercial flight.

Little planes (C152, Mooney, GA8 Airvan etc are ones i have flown in recently) or private jets (Falcon 900) are both great (although the food was much much better on the Falcon900)

I really love flying in a Robinson R44 though - i only ever get to do it for work, but standing on the skids in a harness, taking pictures is a great way to spend a shift.