Who here has a 10440 cell in a key chain light?

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. It seems that there are all sorts of problems with Li-on batteries.
Jerry

cashrip

Newly Enlightened
I use a Ray s20 with a 10440 on my keychain as my edc. Theres only one mode, on, which puts out a lil bit over 200 lumens otf. It's made out of ss, and starts to warm up after 45 sec or so. The longest i've had it on for was about 3-4 min and it does get pretty warm, but not hot enough to be uncomfortable.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
On ebay I see Ultrafire and Trustfire 10440 batteries. Are both OK? I have been hesitant to use Li-on batteries due to the danger involved, but would like to use these in my AAA keychain lights.
Also, what is a decent charger for those batteries?

Thanks, Jerry
Cottonpicker got a small usb charger, and you got the old nanocharger.
I dont feel like there is any danger using a single Li-on. Just dont try to charge a overdiscarged cell, thats the only "danger". It's getting more dangerous when you use 2 li-on's in one light.

flashflood

Enlightened
I thought you can use those but not official in some keychainlights. Yes brighter output but also alot more heat and a keychainlight has not much material for cooling, nobody would sell those lights for "normal" ppl because you can only use them half a minute or so, flashlights are targeted for the ordinary consumer, not a flashlight addicted. If you want those lights you can buy custom flashlights like the Torpedo project which will offer those kind of batteries.

Exactly. Imagine yourself being a flashlight manufacturer, selling into lawsuit-happy USA. You would want a light that the idiot user can turn on high, throw into a pile of kerosene-soaked rags, walk away, and be unharmed. The McDonald's hot-coffee moron -- and the jury that rewarded her -- makes everyone's life less interesting.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The advantages of the Logan head:

- Choose your beam pattern - Narrow, Med, Wide
- Better heat sinking (more material = more thermal mass)
- A stock Logan vs a stock Eiger the driver pushed the LED harder because you were using a larger cell and had better thermal performance, but with the EigerX you might be pulling as much or more amperage than a stock Logan.

Disadvantages:

- Size

Thanks. What are the pros/cons of a Logan head?

Racer

Enlightened
I have lots of 16340 and 18650 lights, but I have been meaning to buy some 10440's and try them out.

The problem is that there's no "cheat sheet" on which lights can take them. I know some of my lights can:

- Olight I3
- Streamlight Microstream

But what about:

- Fenix E01
- Sunwayman R01A
- Thrunite Ti
- Nitecore T0

But in general they are backups to more powerful lights. With a backup, I'd rather have run time and durability. But it's still nice to know...

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several AAA lights that run on a single 10440 cell. I rotate them EDC. My favorite is Peak Vesuvius, but it has a short battery life & wont run on primaries.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a high CRI Eiger X clipped to my pocket as I write, and an Eiger 10280 on my Keychain as a backup.

With the QTC you don't have to use full output and can conserve the battery. The high output is there when you need it.

I make a point of charging the X twice a week so I don't have to worry about taking the cell down too far.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
i use 10440 in the current controlled (no PWM confirmed!!) Fenix LD01 Release 4!

many people use 10440 in the LD01 (any version).. cpf is full of such threads.

even a poll exists ;)