Who is the best EDC light and why?

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say the new inova X1. It's built about as well as the most expensive light listed, puts out enough light for about 95% of most folks edc uses, costs only 20 dollars, can be easily replaced, runs on very commonly available AA's , is pocketable and has about an 8 hour runtime.

More bang for the buck than about anything listed as well.

carrot

Flashaholic
So many people favor tiny lights for EDC... not me.

If I had to choose just one of my several EDC lights, it'd be the Surefire A2, hands down. It's just a little thicker than a Minimag, incredibly sexy, and extremely functional. High beam, low beam. High beam, low beam. I can play with the tailcap switch all day and entertain myself with the dual outputs. In a blackout, the LEDs will run for a long time on one set of batteries (and failing that, I have 6 more batteries in my bag), and if I need more light, BAM, I have it.

But I'd like to own a McLuxIII-PD too...

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no such thing as the best EDC light - there is only the best
EDC light for YOU.

Depending on each person's current activity interest, the answer to "What's the best EDC light?" , there could be many candidates.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
For me it's still the Arc AAA (or a similar size and weight Peak). I don't use belt pouches, since I rarely wear a belt, and want as little as possible on a keychain, since I sometimes sit on it. The Arc hides unnoticed in my front pocket and gives enough light for 90% of my needs when I'm at work or running around. In the car or at home there are always brighter lights readily available.

Geoff

prof

Enlightened
Arc AAAP--small, sits on my keyring and does everything I need. I have other brighter lights that I carry for specific purposes, the the arc is always there (ok I just got it, but it replaced an inova microlight).

When I teach at night I put my Inova T1 in my pocket or bookbag for extra light. It's a bit large for pocket carry in slacks but the light is nice when needed.

I used to carry an old-style x1, but the aaap is SO much smaller!

There's no right answer here--just what meets YOUR needs. Do you want something small and unobtrusive or do you want to carry a baseball bat that happens to light up? So many choices, so little time/money!

Enjoy the search. let us know what you pick!

tron3

Banned
Mi6 said:
Guys,
Who is the best EDC light and why? (also includ. custom lights)
Maybe this is stupid quastion, but I really like to see your opinions about that.
:lolsign:

That's like asking what is the best flavor of icecream. It's a matter of taste. However, Breyers Vanilla or cherry vanilla. Ohh baby!

Very fond of Turkey Hill "Tin Roof Sundae". Like sin on a dish. Arrgglglgl.

I really am a Fenix fan, so I have to say L1P. White light, nice throw, uses a single AA, candle mode, very water tight, 5 star rating from 2 noted review sites. Need I say more?

If I could eat it, it would be perfect flashlight. :laughing:

:sold:

Last edited:

wwglen

Enlightened
For me right now it is the fenix L1P modded with the two stage switch.

It is small enough for me to carry but big enough I haven't lost it.

I like the common AA battery size.

I like the idea of the miller mods L0P with the three stage twisty but I would loose it as it is so small.

wwglen

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC lots of lights in general.

The ones I'd miss the most are: the arc AAA-P
the Fenix L0P
the INOVA X1

But the one I'd EDC to the exclusion of all others: the ARC +4, it's a sentimental thing, but multi level reliability, it's been at my side almost as long as the AAA-P.

One day I'll find something else.

But not yet.

... it's a bloody white-knuckle ride, London, Innit!!!!....

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
As some have mentioned already, it depends on what you want/need. Different people have different criteria for size/form factor, cost, amount of light, type of battery, carry options, etc.

For me, my only real "EDC" is my KeyMate on my keychain as it's the ONLY light I carry Every Day.
My personal carry lights are either a V2 or a Nuwai Q3. I don't mind carrying them on my belt in a holster at work and they fit well in my pockets (I prefer to wear cargo-type pants with more pockets), but you may differ and want something sleek and very small. I like 1-cell lights with a somewhat thick, short body, but that's a personal preference. I don't mind having to run CR123A or R123A batteries, but you may want AA/AAA cell types. Both my V2 and Q3 offer enough light and throw to be used outdoors and can run off recharables or primaries(tho, the V2 doesn't run off primaries very well). I plan on picking up a Jet1 also to rotate as a personal carry light and it offers the ability for various cells (alkaline AA, NiMH AA, Li AA, CR123A, R123A).

Ideally, I'd like either a McLux PD or Jil Intelli for the quality and multi-level output. However, none of the lights I own are currently more than $40 (tho, the planned Jet1 purchase and possibly a Jil DD will push that to $70). I can't justify to myself, along with all the other expenses I currently have, for a light of that cost. If I could afford it tho, either one of those would be my ideal. I'd likely lean toward the Jil due to the smaller form factor and lower price (I'd feel really bad losing a PD).

For the time being, I'll just modify my Q3 with a 2-stage switch and have a much lower-priced, 2-stage light that has enough output and throw for outdoors use (something I think is important for a personal carry light as you don't know where you'll be when you need it). I have other lights I really like such as my TM-313X that make a good amount of light for indoors use and has good throw for indoors, but it's not very useful outside of the house...same is true for the new X1, I wouldn't mind picking it up for $20 (not yet at my local targets), but I wouldn't use it for my personal carry light, more as an indoors light.

jezzyp

Enlightened
Fenix 1LP with 2 stage. Small and well built - you can always raid something for more AAs if you need then (at home or work AAs are everywhere - in clocks, remote controls, computer mice, staffs personal audio kit etc). Run time of 10 hours + if you need it and 2 hours on bright. Plus you could lend it out without worrying about it.

Also have a photon clone on your keychain - cheap enough to break or give away.

greenLED

Flashaholic
JimH said:
There's no such thing as the best EDC light - there is only the best
EDC light for YOU.

Depending on each person's current activity interest, the answer to "What's the best EDC light?" , there could be many candidates.
Agree, and as somebody else pointed out too: the best EDC is the one you'll always have at hand when you need it.

For me, that's the ArcAAA in my keychain. Not the brightest, meanest, baddest, of 'em all, but it's always there when I need it, as I carry my keys everywhere I go.

SpeedPRO

Enlightened
Been EDC'ing U60XRGT or LionCup recently. Why? I'm in a big favor of variable output ever since they've invented those feature. I found variable output has the most use for everyday tasks with having a safety feeling of having a long runtime when I needed...

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a HDS U60. I have a McLux PD on me right now. Enough said. Even though it is twice as much as a, say, entry level HDS, it's well worth it.

I like HDS lights, don't get me wrong, but the PD represents a new generation of thinking in lights. It makes the HDS seem...so...2001.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
270winchester said:
I had a HDS U60. I have a McLux PD on me right now. Enough said. Even though it is twice as much as a, say, entry level HDS, it's well worth it.

I like HDS lights, don't get me wrong, but the PD represents a new generation of thinking in lights. It makes the HDS seem...so...2001.

I did the exact opposite. Had a CPFer let me try his PD, liked the HDS better,
though the PD is really bitchin', but need the other two level's, and the throw
was a bit better on the B-60.
just show's the diversity of light's and owner's need's for them.VDG

OwlEyez

Newly Enlightened
My personal preference is the Inova X1 - small, light weight, and I can adjust the tailcap just enough to use the clickie when a moment is all I need.

Right now I'm also EDC my CPF LE purely because it's new and can't get enough of the adjustable brightness and spot/flood features. It is heavier, so not a pocket EDC for me.

Good Luck with your search. Next on my list is a mini button light for my keys.:)