Who's buying the new Olight SR-91?

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
But what happens if you need to lend a few lights, some of your older lights fail and you need a -very- powerful light to check if your car is fully functional in the garage?

I'll keep my super lights thank you very much...

You can never be too prepared, right?

Don't get me wrong, as far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as too many lumens :D - or being too prepared. But I think many members on cpf are at the point where they are buying lights mainly for the fun of it, not out of any practical necessity. I can say that applies to me...and that I would be interested in the SR-91 if it wasn't $400.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, that's the gist of it. Other than newbies, I don't see many guys here buying something 'cause they NEED it.

Yep, it's a bit high but then, I got tired of NOT finding a light I like and then when this one came out, I thought, what the hell and bottom line is, you can always sell stuff :)

Sure beats snortin' coke, smoking or drinking. You can't sell that! :)

I had to sell my camera equipment last year to survive but hey, I made it six months on my equipment alone and I only took a 20% beating on it. Not bad!

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
unless you are security/police/military i cant think of a real world use for a light that does 1500 lumens

I'm seriously thinking of buying one of these for use on my boat at night.

Simply because you can't imagine a use you would have for something doesn't make it useless or a waste of money.

for the money this light costs i can buy 4 really nice practical lights.

Lights are tools. This is a fairly high powered tool, but it isn't expensive given what it can do. There are all manner of tools people buy. Some of them are relatively expensive, and maybe they don't need those tools immediately. But they may need them some day.

I don't really see the point of sticker shock over this thing. I can certainly understand the mindset of "I don't need this, so I'm not buying it." It seems specialized to me, and definitely not for everyone. But I don't understand at all the mindset of "I don't need this so nobody should buy it."

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, enough people bought the 90 and I sure as hell wouldn't want to lug that one around and I think this is a much better buy and seems much more useful to me.

Also, 450 lumens for ten hours is a killer option. That's way brighter than MOST lights out there and for TEN hours!
Trez cool!

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
I agree with you on both points, guiri. The form factor and performance of this light make it seem much more useful to me than the SR-90.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I wanted something really powerful but couldn't see myself lugging around the 90 or the howitzer. Let's see if the 91 has the wow factor that I'd also like (no, not that important but fun to have)

:)

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
the olight sr91 seems appealing but the price is too high. its coming out at the same price the sr90 came out as. but the sr90 is so much bigger. bigger head, reflector, heatsinking. when has the compact version of anything cost just as much as the larger version?

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm seriously thinking of buying one of these for use on my boat at night.

if i drove a boat at night id want one too :thumbsup:

be sure to attach some kind of flotation device, just in case.

recDNA

Flashaholic
V
I agree with you on both points, guiri. The form factor and performance of this light make it seem much more useful to me than the SR-90.

Oh I think sticker shock is a very real and very appropriate reaction. The thing is it varies the from person to person. For folks from the bessiebenny crowd it might be $50. For me its about $150. When I see a flashlight for $299 I say to myself, "are u kidding me? It's a flashlight! " I spent more once and returned it. I couldn't enjoy it.
Now I'd spend 50k for a car but I just won't spend $500 for a flashlight. No matter how well it works it just isn't worth it to me.

red02

Enlightened
Don't get me wrong, as far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as too many lumens :D - or being too prepared. But I think many members on cpf are at the point where they are buying lights mainly for the fun of it, not out of any practical necessity. I can say that applies to me...and that I would be interested in the SR-91 if it wasn't $400.

I hear you, and this is what I try to tell myself everytime I see something I like. Currently I'm trying convince myself not to get a G2. If I stopped buying lights after I had all I needed I would still have only my photon freedom.:laughing:

400? thats too rich for my blood, any time I get the craving like that I get a few photon freedoms as a type of harm reduction. I don't think theres a color that I don't have...

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
the olight sr91 seems appealing but the price is too high. its coming out at the same price the sr90 came out as. but the sr90 is so much bigger. bigger head, reflector, heatsinking. when has the compact version of anything cost just as much as the larger version?

Why is bigger necessarily worth more? I think in this case it's the reverse as I think it's a much more practical light.

PayBack

Enlightened
I never considered the SR-90 because it was so big as to be pointless for me due to owning 2 POB Hids, I may as well use them.

However this one is very close to the size of light I take when I know I'll need a light of a size between my EDC and my HID.

I'd be interested in seeing it in someones hand or next to an every day object to judge its size.

I'm hoping it's still too big because then I won't be tempted.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'll be happy to put it in one of my fat paws and take a picture of it for ya. Just remind me in a week or so..

Should you happen to be in my area, feel free to come and look at it (Charlotte, NC)

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
any time I get the craving like that I get a few photon freedoms as a type of harm reduction. I don't think theres a color that I don't have...

I think I have a solution for you. Put all your freedoms on a string, like a rosary kinda and when you get into your panic attacks, just sit and go through them like a prayer bead, chanting some appropriate mantra... :crackup:

Ronin28

Newly Enlightened
I never considered the SR-90 because it was so big as to be pointless for me due to owning 2 POB Hids, I may as well use them.

However this one is very close to the size of light I take when I know I'll need a light of a size between my EDC and my HID.

I'd be interested in seeing it in someones hand or next to an every day object to judge its size.

I'm hoping it's still too big because then I won't be tempted.

Marshall from GoingGear did a YouTube video for this light and he holds it in his hand and also compares it to the SR-90. This should give you and idea of how big this light is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKAswll82cA

Scuderia

Newly Enlightened
I will be getting the SR91 to accompany my SR90. :grin2:

For me, I have a weak spot for big led lights. This is due to a life threatening experience during one of my hunting trips with lousy lights. Well, that's another story.