Why all the hype around XTAR PB2C and PB2SL powerbank-chargers? Honest review and discussion.

Photolunatic

Newly Enlightened
I really wanted to like the PB2C and PB2SL powerbank-chargers from XTAR. I have only seen a positive reviews from

https://zeroair.org/2020/03/19/xtar-pb2c-charger-powerbank-review/
https://zeroair.org/2019/09/12/xtar-pb2s-powerbank-and-charger-review/
https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger Xtar PB2C UK.html
https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger Xtar PB2S UK.html

Amazon and elsewhere, so decided to buy it.

Ordered my first XTAR PB2C ORANGE from XTAR Official Store. They shipped BLACK. As I had a quite good deal for it, I decided to keep it. Box powered ON fine, topped up my Japanese made cells (Panasonic NCR18650) to a nicely balanced 4.19V. I left the batteries inside PC2C and two days later it does not power ON again. Zero LEDs ON, no power on the input/output.

I returned it and got a refund.

In the meantime, I ordered the newest XTAR PC2SL from the same XTAR Official Store. Arrived on time. I put the cells in, and it showed the numbers on the display just OK. Maybe 5V output might be more stable as it jumped from 4.8V to 5.0V and back all the time. Charged phone seemed unaffected through.

When I used the PB2SL to charge the batteries it became quite warm (2x2A charging) but I guess nothing to worry about.

When batteries were charged, I noticed that the display (is it OLED as I read somewhere?) became faulty. Some of the sections were not working/ much dimmer than the working rest.

Questioned XTAR, and they tried to bribe me with coupons if I cancel the return and write positive 5-star reviews about BOTH PB2C and PB2SL. Even when my experience tells me absolutely opposite – 2 of two dead/faulty. I guess that would explain the positive reviews around.

I think, I will just return it for a refund too as they want me to lie in the reviews for $20 when I paid £20 for the actual item that is faulty. No deal for me at all.
As I still wanted a tiny powerbank, I went and ordered PB2C, this time from a different, XTAR Factory Store.

Item arrived on time. When I dropped the cells in, it powered ON and stayed at 4 LEDs for some time. I could not switch it OFF using the button. The instruction manual states that the button is for powering ON, nothing about powering OFF, so I thought it will auto standby after some seconds of no activity.

After 20 minutes, to my surprise, the 4 LEDs were still ON. I took the cells OUT of the box and the 4 LEDs went OFF. The device never powered ON again. I left one cell for an hour when I was testing/ writing to XTAR and the cell went from 99% to 90%, so I guess it still draws some substantial current regardless. I do not want to risk a fire, so won't be trying it again. To me, it is DEAD.

Do you have/had PB charger from XTAR? What are your experiences?

Are XTAR really that bad quality, or am I extremely unlucky to have 100% failure rate 3 out of 3?

Is it possible that I am missing something?

Thanks.

Photolunatic

Newly Enlightened
Just to keep you guys updated.

As a solution to the PB2SL being faulty, XTAR offered to sent me a new replacement with a battery if I pay $5 for shipping and cancel the return/refund case.

I was silly enough to do it.

The replacement PB2SL arrived today without battery, cable, charger or even packaging.

It also has a much more blurry display that the one I had before. I mean, the 'glass' is more opaque, so the display appears to be blurry and not that crisp as the one I had before.

It also seems not to switch to 9V or 12V and only charges at 5V. Well, not even that, the voltage drops to 4.8V during the charge.

I am shocked. Four items ordered - 2 DOA, third faulty and the fourth not complete and definitely not working at 18W that was advertised to do.

If the product they've made in the past were good, that would only mean that they decline in quality significantly.

What a waste of money and time that experience with XTAR was.

Definitely, I won't purchase anything from XTAR any more and would suggest you do the same.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did a search for lousy experiences with this charger and like your initial hunt, did not see the kind of problems you are having.

Can you show the link to this 'official website' you ordered?

Photolunatic

Newly Enlightened
I just did a search for lousy experiences with this charger and like your initial hunt, did not see the kind of problems you are having.

Can you show the link to this 'official website' you ordered?
Sure, why not. I have nothing to hide. I hope you are not thinking that I am bitchin for some malicious reason or trying to sway the attention at me being not professional. I wanted to like PB charger/power bank a lot. Furthermore, I gave them (XTAR) many chances and dedicated a lot of my time to make things right. They failed at every stage.
1. Not the right colour
2. DOA
3. Faulty
4. Trying to bribe
5. Promised to replace the faulty one and add the battery but they shipped only the shell without the accessories or even the packaging!

So please understand that they pissed me off.

XTAR Official Store (3 units)
XTAR Factory Store (1 unit)

See attached orders.
Wanna see history of the chat with them too?

I understand that they may be a site sponsor, so additional shame that they did not contact me or commented here.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-06-03 19-35-09.png
    Screenshot from 2024-06-03 19-35-09.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot from 2024-06-03 19-34-57.png
    Screenshot from 2024-06-03 19-34-57.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot from 2024-06-03 19-34-38.png
    Screenshot from 2024-06-03 19-34-38.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 25

Photolunatic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!
Yeah I do not buy from aliexpress.

Lets ping @XTAR Light for their take on this.
Are you trying to say that aliexpress products are not in par with other sources? I am pretty sure that all their stuff is coming from the same factory in China. In the UK we have no many choices. Amazon is overpriced with a slim selection of the products. Importing from mainland Europe or USA would attract import duties, VAT, additional Mail fees and the cables/chargers would be with non-compatible plugs. Also, no way to get any warranty or shipping back would cost a fortune.

Buying directly from China seem to be the best way as they charge VAT at source, no additional duties, free shipping, and recently they improved their shipping and offer a ton of products with 7-day delivery.

I buy a lot from AliExpress (I dig RC cars, and there is a ton of parts for them) and this is the first time I had that many issues.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Are you trying to say that aliexpress products are not in par with other sources? I am pretty sure that all their stuff is coming from the same factory in China. In the UK we have no many choices. Amazon is overpriced with a slim selection of the products. Importing from mainland Europe or USA would attract import duties, VAT, additional Mail fees and the cables/chargers would be with non-compatible plugs. Also, no way to get any warranty or shipping back would cost a fortune.

Buying directly from China seem to be the best way as they charge VAT at source, no additional duties, free shipping, and recently they improved their shipping and offer a ton of products with 7-day delivery.

I buy a lot from AliExpress (I dig RC cars, and there is a ton of parts for them) and this is the first time I had that many issues.
Ordering from AliExpress is basically a punt.
You might get what you ordered, eventually.
If it doesn't arrive, you can't get too upset.
If it arrives broken, you can't get too upset.
It's like giving the Village Idiot a mildly important task.
When he eventually screws it up, you can't get too upset.

scalpel_ninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had bad experiences with ordering from AliExpress despite the store saying it's the factory or official retailer. It appears many of the items that do not meet QC standards gets pawned off to these AE shops. They boldly sell them because they know overseas buyers cannot feasibly return them.

On the other hand, most of the official sources from local (US) warehouses appear to have better QC. Even though they might cost more, the factory knows buyers can easily return items at the manufacturer's cost.

Photolunatic

Newly Enlightened
I've had bad experiences with ordering from AliExpress despite the store saying it's the factory or official retailer. It appears many of the items that do not meet QC standards gets pawned off to these AE shops. They boldly sell them because they know overseas buyers cannot feasibly return them.

On the other hand, most of the official sources from local (US) warehouses appear to have better QC. Even though they might cost more, the factory knows buyers can easily return items at the manufacturer's cost.
OK. You say double standard, and it could be just that, but I can't see this doing any good for XTARs reputation. The items had those anti-counterfeit stickers on them.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
OK. You say double standard, and it could be just that, but I can't see this doing any good for XTARs reputation. The items had those anti-counterfeit stickers on them.
Well, it could very well be the real thing.... Just a flawed Factory 2nd sold through AliExpress.

Photolunatic

Newly Enlightened
Well, it could very well be the real thing.... Just a flawed Factory 2nd sold through AliExpress.
1717504459531.png

Just received their reply. Outrageous isn't it? The battery cost £10 with the shipping, and they offer $2 with the coupon.
The message seems similar to the one I had when they shipped the wrong colour one.
1717504819059.png

1717504846729.png

Photolunatic

Newly Enlightened
Recent update.
The new shell they shipped as a replacement seem to be faulty too. Not only the display is foggy. Last night I had batteries at 90% with two of those. The one with the faulty display is still showing 90% today, but the 'NEW' replacement went down to 34%

This is f'kin ridiculous. Burnt through the set of 2 16850 overnight, doing nothing! Fuming!

100% everything that they posted has some kind of fault if not dead on arrival. It's not a joke when you deal with Li-Ion batteries.
Started the return with Aliexpress and hopefully will get a full refund. Won't be dealing with them ever again. They will also receive adequate reviews.

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
Dear Sir, we read your thread here. So sorry to hear the chargers you received were faulty, and we totally understand how disappointing you are. Your feedback is very important to us, and our team take it very seriously. We will be conducting a stricter quality control and packaging processes, to ensure such problem will not happen again! Should you have any further questions about XTAR products, please contact us directly at [email protected]. Our dedicated team will respond to you promptly during working days. Once again, we apologize for your bad purchasing experience. Thank you for your patience and for giving us the opportunity to make things right.