Why did you sell your HDS light(s) and do you regret it?

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sold the Rotary because I wanted fewer moving parts to increase longevity and durability. I simply wanted to limit my ownership to four (4) lights in total and the remaining four are the ones I prefer the most.
I feel the same way. And I have the same lights, minus the UV. I've always been apprehensive that if I purchased a rotary the tail would develop that rough movement. I'm OCD about things not working correctly and therefore avoided the extra complexity. I like the stock medium preset that turns on and use it 90% of the time.

Wondering whether 3 is too many. Have to admit that I like the simplicity of not having to make a decision.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel the same way. And I have the same lights, minus the UV. I've always been apprehensive that if I purchased a rotary the tail would develop that rough movement. I'm OCD about things not working correctly and therefore avoided the extra complexity. I like the stock medium preset that turns on and use it 90% of the time.

Wondering whether 3 is too many. Have to admit that I like the simplicity of not having to make a decision.

Rotary tails are fixed on new lights

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a rotary and while I probably won't sell it I've thought about. If I did I doubt I'd regret it as I like lights that are practical and I view my rotary as less practical then others when all things are considered. Cool little light no doubt but it's more jewelry then tool to me.

Cpl S

Newly Enlightened
What I love about the rotary is that it's still a clicky at heart. With mine, I love that I can click the button just once to get to whatever brightness I need. Low low? One click. 50 lumens? One click. 325 lumens? One click. As long as I twist back to zero first, I can twist close to what I want. Super easy to do when I've got in in my front pocket holster from Dan. I reach in, twist to zero, then twist to the level I want. Pull it out and give it one click.

Another reason I need to follow RCS1300' lead and get myself a couple horizontal holsters. I want to be able to twist to zero, then set the brightness before I pull the light.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool little light no doubt but it's more jewelry then tool to me.

I think I understand what you mean, but this runs counter to HDS philosophy. These lights are engineered to be hard use tools, but precisely not jewelry. Granted, I treat mine rather like jewels, but that's a hobbyist insanity, which should not be misconstrued with the designers intentions.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Have a rotary and while I probably won't sell it I've thought about. If I did I doubt I'd regret it as I like lights that are practical and I view my rotary as less practical then others when all things are considered. Cool little light no doubt but it's more jewelry then tool to me.

I'm curious how you view the rotary as impractical and what lights you feel are more practical and how they are more practical. I'm curious how you feel it's more jewelry than tool.
Honestly I feel the opposite. The HDS lacks any real "decoration", and I feel especially the rotary is designed as a purely functional tool. Super fast, super easy to use with virtually no explanation of how to use necessary. The new internals and the newly shared deep carry pocket clip have me on the fence now thinking about joining the rotary "dark side" instead of keeping it old school with "team clicky"...

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
iPhones come out with a new color and every one looses there minds

I like that you are open minded about different peoples preferences
I Love my iPhone but I dont upgrade until it wears out ;-)

to the topic
I have not sold my HDS yet, Im still giving it a chance to convince me it deserves to be one of my choices
I dont regret getting rid of the Cool Green Low CRI LED my Rotary came with though, so I guess you could think of it like selling it, in favor of a nice warmish 3500k N219b High CRI

I can also say my RRT-01 does several things in ways I like better, than my HDS, and the reverse is also true

I dont have to choose just one
different lights have different strong suits

I confess I carried 3 different lights today, all with different LEDs and different batteries, one 10440, one 16340, one 18350. The one thing they have in common, is they are all High CRI, and 2 out of 3 have variations on Rotary UI's

you might say im polyamorous, I like to spread my love around.
Why limit myself? LOL

Last edited:

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like that you are open minded about different peoples preferences
I Love my iPhone but I dont upgrade until it wears out

I can also say my RRT-01 does several things in ways I like better, than my HDS, and the reverse is also true

I dont have to choose just one
different lights have different strong suits
What do you like better about the RRT?

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rotary tails are fixed on new lights

To me, the rotary tails were always top notch and dependable. I would have absolutely no reservation purchasing a HDS Rotary. I may even purchase the new Titanium light at the $200 premium if I feel that an Executive Titanium is never going to be made in the near future.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless something has recently changed, I believe that the special metal sprint runs will be rotaries only. They don't sell enough Executives to justify the expense.

Lithium466

Enlightened
Over the course of many years [...]
It was, however, a good experience for me owning those flashlights. It helped me realize the true value of lights for me and what was ultimately most important in my mind.

Although I was relatively late to the HDS game (my first registration on the forum was 2006, but I wasn't into "expensive" lights at that time, how foolish), I read everything about the HDS lights, including the old Arc flashlights stuff, Peter Grandsee, Joe Mintz, etc. Everything I could find, including of course the CPF threads, past or présent.
I've followed your "adventures in HDS" been there, done that, and even got one of the lights that was yours, haha.

All that just to say, this has to be one of your better posts about HDS 👍
I can relate on many points, but I actually never sold an HDS. I have way too many according to my wife, but am still looking to buy some more (well, that part more in my dreams).

The closest I got to sell an HDS was sending a legacy HC 100 to Henry for a battery draining problem. Sadly it didn't make it, but I got another high CRI 100 in return...sadly with a very meh emitter compared to the Seoul P4. I still miss my light :)

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you like better about the RRT?

advantages of RRT-01
the ramping is continuous (a biggie for me), does not hop in steps like HDS (bugs me)
the dial is at the head, more natural grip for me
no tail button, so no extra step, otoh, the HDS Rotary button acts as a Memory mode, RRT does not have memory
screw on pocket clip is deep carry, and due to the ring being on the head, Im ready to fire when I draw, no flipping the light
compatible w 18350
not as heavy, not as big
wider lumen range: goes much lower minimum, and much higher maximum
lower price

advantages of HDS
Rotary dial is smoother, like butter
Built in Low Voltage step down and Overdischarge shut off for LiIon
Most Awesome High CRI LED options
diffuse reflector option
Each ramping step is consistent and repeatable
Strobe option, with direct access (programmable to a triple click for example)
Programmable, can be used as a 4 mode clicky
Tactical momentary option, and also the press hold for maximum from any level
Locator flash
Auto shut off timer

l-r 10440 Folomov w 3000k Nichia E21a, 18350 RRT-01 w N219b 4500k 9080, 16340 HDS Rotary w N219b 3500k 9080
alRZUer.jpg

Last edited:

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had over 10 at one point, and I came to the conclusion I dont need multiple iterations of the same flashlight with slightly different emitters.

That being said, I currently have:

High Noon 18540 Rotary
Orange cerakote 325 lumen clicky
Vinh Modded 16340 clicky
RA Twisty
3-4 Novatacs
Action Light

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive had a few but none if the limited emitters. All of mine were bought off the shelf. I sold all that I had due to not being happy with the tints. However I did have a LE 250 with smooth reflector that actually had a decent tint. I should have not sold that one. I did order a new 325 long throw rotary. Hoepfully I like it so I dont have to sell it as well..

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have owned many hds lights and have sold quite a few as well. I don't think I regret selling any of them.

At one time i got a good deal on one and resold it, kind of wish I kept it for an emitter swap. However with the recent special runs, I've put that thought behind me.

nbp

Flashaholic
I've sold a couple mostly to make room for different HDS. The one I regret selling was my Ti Clicky, but I sold it to get a McGizmo McLux III-T so it wasn't all bad. But that's gone too, I think for a SPY 007. But that's gone too, for who knows what. What a vicious cycle. I can't barely recall all the neat lights I've had, but only a few get to stay at any one time as it just isn't fiscally possible to keep them all. It's been a good ride though and I'm happy to have been able to experience so many cool flashlights over the years.

Dirty wage guy

Enlightened
I've sold a couple mostly to make room for different HDS. The one I regret selling was my Ti Clicky, but I sold it to get a McGizmo McLux III-T so it wasn't all bad. But that's gone too, I think for a SPY 007. But that's gone too, for who knows what. What a vicious cycle. I can't barely recall all the neat lights I've had, but only a few get to stay at any one time as it just isn't fiscally possible to keep them all. It's been a good ride though and I'm happy to have been able to experience so many cool flashlights over the years.

Well said Sir and +1. I'd love to know what gems you kept.