Why is a A2 so popular?

Max Brightness

Enlightened
win67 said:
Delta447 said:
I'm guessing that these batteries are then transferred to LED lights or that you are using rechargables. /QUOTE]

Is it possible to use rechargeables in the a2?
2 x rcr 123 li-ion or what type?

Jens

There has been much discussion in this group however, I can't find the link. As a summary here's how I remember it...

unprotected RCR23 will fit in the A2 and run with no issues to the incandescent bulb nor the regulatin circuitry. The LEDs however are being overdriven.

There has been much discussion of the effects of LED overdriven. There is atleast one person that cycled the rechargeables over 100 times with no noticeable effect and another person that cycled then under 20 times and noticed a color shift in the LEDs.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, i dont understand why its so popular either... never did..

-david

meat

Newly Enlightened
As others have said, the regulated incandesant bulb and the option to just use LEDs are the main selling points.

Some people don't appreciate incandesant bulbs and prefer the brighter LED lights like the L2,L4 and U2. I like both lights and appreciate the A2. The A2's LEDs, while not as bright as the L2's on low, do fine for me in most situations.

Different strokes for different strokes, but there really isn't another light like the A2.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I just don't see what others see in this light. The price tag is WAY too high for what it gives in performance. I do understand that it covers two lights in one, but for under $50 you could buy a Wolf Eyes 6M with the 3.7v lamp that has 3 times the throw of the A2 and almost twice the overall output. You could then buy some cheapie keylights ($5 for 10) and put a nice Nichia CS U bin in them. The keylight will have the same amount of output as the LED's in the A2.

marxs

Enlightened
like what has been said time and again, the A2 is the jack-of-all-trades and the master of none. it doesnt have the best throw, nor the best low light (others far cheaper can do the same). its meant to be a very "useful" tool all in one package, low lights plus decent high output throw. it was never meant to be a winner in any category. i think thats the thing that people mistake the A2 for. dont compare the A2 to champions of throw or flood. instead, try getting your hands on one and use it a couple of times. its meant to be useful (thats how you appreciate it over time), not really a WOW kinda light.

if you like having two seperate lights because of price, cool...cause id do the same in a heartbeat :laughing: but i prefer carrying just one light.

mark

xdanx

Enlightened
adirondackdestroyer said:
I guess I just don't see what others see in this light. The price tag is WAY too high for what it gives in performance. I do understand that it covers two lights in one, but for under $50 you could buy a Wolf Eyes 6M with the 3.7v lamp that has 3 times the throw of the A2 and almost twice the overall output. You could then buy some cheapie keylights ($5 for 10) and put a nice Nichia CS U bin in them. The keylight will have the same amount of output as the LED's in the A2.

I won't even touch this one.

Scott112

Newly Enlightened
I also had the same questions and doubts about the A2 until I finally gave in and bought one. Now I understand. The A2 is not perfect and it's not for everyone, but it is my favorite light by far.

Last edited:

ZippyDan

Newly Enlightened
xdanx said:
You have to pay more than $190 for a perfect light with NO downsides or weak spots. I have only two, both were made by the same person.
grinser2.gif

The A2 is a fantastic light. I just think people should do a little research before they attack a light.

js's thread and Quickbeam's Site are great resources.

i need to know more about which lights are perfect for over 190. not being sarcastic cuz i want one!

~Zippy!

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
I have been an A2 user for years now and would tell anyone who scoffs at the price or "strange batteries" to go through a blackout with one before rendering final judgement. I was caught in the Blackout of '02 and can testify to the usefulness and utility of this light. Yes I had plenty of lights and lots of batteries but the A2 was the most used light. Blue leds and white incan was just fine for my varied uses. It is the main light of my EDC bag to this very day. The others are situational and not as useful overall as the A2.

stockae92

Enlightened
i don't think there's a perfect light everyone anyone.

but for me, having lower power LED and regulated incan are big pluses

when my A2 is done with the battery, i will throw them into my X5T for many more hours to go :p

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had the U2, sorry, no comparison.

The U2 is a great light, but the A2 eats it up when it comes to EDC.

The U2 is big!

Lot's of lights that I use more than a U2, and no, I don't find more than 2 or 3 levels useful. My U2 was either on low or high, seldom in between. That effectively makes it a 2 level light!

Bill

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
I've found that a number of people - myself included - are initially very disappointed with their A2. You rip open the package, fire it up, and think "hey, I have better incan lights and better LEDs than this."

But the crazy thing is that you start reaching for the A2 more and more, and it starts to grow on you. The LEDs are designed to provide a useful flood, which is what I usually need on low. And the incan is there with a tight focus when I need to "reach out" and illuminate something farther away. And there's nothing like an incan for color rendition - LEDs just make everything look flat.

The switching is perfect - you have both types of light immediately available with the press of a button. Yes you could carry two lights, but why? With the A2 you have two different lights available at your fingertips. The A2's small, convenient, and bullet-proof. I find that it's simply the light that I reach for more than any other. It's got everything that I need for 95% of the times that I need a flashlight.

I almost returned my A2 a week after I bought it because I didn't see the need for it. Now I can't imagine ever giving it up. It's the light that I turn to before everything else, and the one light I'd take with me in an emergency.

So I guess my bottom line answer is that it's just useful - exactly like a good flashlight should be. It may take you a month to appreciate the A2's true utility, but I'm guessing that if you spend a few weeks with the A2, you'll be a convert.

- FITP

redskins38

Newly Enlightened
When i get the money that will be my next buy. I cant wait to get that baby. How much harder are black A2s to get a hold of?

carrot

Flashaholic
Black A2's pop up on BST every so often and you can expect to pay at least $150 for one, new condition or slightly used. They used to sell for $115 or so from Supremeco and are not sold anywhere else.