Why KLx ?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sooner or later the questionn will be asked...Why?

The Arc LS can run off one aa batt.

It can run off two cheap as dirt AA batts and run longer.

It can be pointed at the ceiling...with out falling over.

It can also run off a 123 batt and it`s shorter.

Why buy?

Come on PK...give us something good!

Ken

Darell

Flashaholic
The LS and the KL1 each have their strengths and weaknesses. You've named quite a few of the LS strengths. Here are some reasons that some folks may prefer the KL1 -

1. Cheap way to upgrade a light that many of us already own. (KL1 $50, LS $120)
2. Brighter than LS in all battery configurations
3. Fully regulated unlike the LS
4. No more "nut-cracker" battery tube (spring and switch much more elegant battery tube solution)

rlhess

Enlightened
Because it looks like 2x the light output of the Arc LS, it is the ultimate "spare lamp" for the E2e, and it's output is flat for 4.5 hours.

It also has a pyrex lens (as compared to the scratchable plastic one of the LS).

If my wife likes the KL1 on the E2e, that might replace her MiniMag with Nexstar as her EDC WHEN I get the A2.

WHEN I get the A2, I might cease carrying the Arc LS. For now, it offers more options for the E2e.

Cheers,

Richard

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by darell:
The LS and the KL1 each have their strengths and weaknesses. You've named quite a few of the LS strengths. Here are some reasons that some folks may prefer the KL1 -

1. Cheap way to upgrade a light that many of us already own. (KL1 $50, LS $120)
2. Brighter than LS in all battery configurations
3. Fully regulated unlike the LS
4. No more "nut-cracker" battery tube (spring and switch much more elegant battery tube solution)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">1: But if you don`t already have one...then how much.

2: But how does the run time compare...and are`nt they close in brightness?

3: See # 2

4: Well ...what about dependability? How often does a 123 batt driven device get used compared to a cheap as dirt to run AA.

5: SUREFIRE...I know the SureFires are not to far behind the ARC`s in quality...but still?

Ken

Darell

Flashaholic
1: Yea, but if you don`t already have one...then how much.
About the same as the LS, depending on host body.

2: Yea, but how does the run time compare...and are`nt they close in brightness?
Apples and oranges, I'm afraid. The KL1 is designed to run best on 2x123 - a configuration that the LS does not support....No they really aren't all that close in brightness OR color quality

3: See # 2
As with #2. No again.

4: Well ...what about dependability? How often does a 123 batt driven device get used compared to a cheap as dirt to run AA.
No fair asking two questions per item number. SF gets high dependability marks for using a spring and a real switch. A drop on the head is much less likely to be catastrophic to the batteries. Part 2: As far as I know, most (at least many) choose to use the LS in the 123 configuration, so the answer is "quite a bit."

5: SUREFIRE...don`t get it...what does this mean?
I know the SureFires are not to far behind the ARC`s in quality...but still?

Uhh. This was NOT my comment. Can't answer you there. You may notice that I'm typically considered a shill for Arc around these parts, and here I am simply calling it like I see it.

No question that the Arc has features that the KL1 doesn't have. But you can't simply discount the KL1 as being inferior in all ways. If there were a perfect flashlight, there wouldn't be any more choices, would there?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more reason?....you won't (by chance) get the "pea-green" Luxeon in it.
They're supposed to be hand-sorted for best quality color/intensity.

Glow Bug

Enlightened
Hadn't felt one yet. Except for the imaginary E3e:) I think that feeling could grow on me real quick. I do own an E2e, AAA,Arc LS and many others. I can say I love both lights. I may put one light against the other verbally on this forum, but: I love em all. I think Gransee and PK both are top notch. Thats why I continue to buy from both and will continue.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...I must say you guys are pretty fast at typing...run me in circles trying to keep up.

I would love to stay and argue...but my mom is calling me...it`s a good thing for you guy`s I have to go home now.

Ken

Darell

Flashaholic
Nothin' to argue about really. I think we all agree. Or were you actually considering NOT owning both?
smile.gif
The LS and the KL1 are great lights in different ways. They will both remain on my "active shelf" as I like to call it.

As for feel, that is just WAY to subjective to get into. They both feel great in different ways.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so now that I have stirred the pot...if you only had $130 to spend on one of these two lights...pick one! If you have no others...and you have no love for any company.

Ken

Darell

Flashaholic
Kids these days...

Is one of your rules that I DON'T already have a couple of E2's... so I can't buy a KL1 and just pocket the $70? That would be my first choice.

The decision would be harder between the KL1 and the LS2. I'm afriad that in this competition, I'd go with the KL1/E2. I'm a sucker for real regulation and a battery compartment with a spring. Always have been.

Now GIT!