Why Led Lenser's flashlight so bad?

Glofindel

Newly Enlightened
As regards your observation your dates are not correct for the UK retail market and the increase of on-line shopping was due more to other factors.For the UK you will see the typical High Street change to something we have never witnessed in the UK before and the outlook is exciting for what they have planned to regenerate.

I think we were suffered of economic downturn later than everybody else due to previous government's campaign to pump in the money back in to keep the economy float above the water. Thanks to them, most of major retailers were keeping employers and I kept my job.
However I knew it won't be long.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we were suffered of economic downturn later than everybody else due to previous government's campaign to pump in the money back in to keep the economy float above the water. Thanks to them, most of major retailers were keeping employers and I kept my job.
However I knew it won't be long.

It was the second quarter of 2008 that the downturn kicked in

Urbex Archangel

Newly Enlightened
I come at this from a different angle, and maybe some of you can help me. I'm a professional photographer. What I like about the LED Lenser lights is they throw a nice neutral colored light, and have even illumination across the beam which is very useful for light painting, and very rare to find, at least in my limited experience. For this reason, I'm considering the Led Lenser X21R.2. But, if you can give me an alternative that can can go from wide to spot with the same characteristics that the LED Lenser does, I'm all ears.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I come at this from a different angle, and maybe some of you can help me. I'm a professional photographer. What I like about the LED Lenser lights is they throw a nice neutral colored light, and have even illumination across the beam which is very useful for light painting, and very rare to find, at least in my limited experience. For this reason, I'm considering the Led Lenser X21R.2. But, if you can give me an alternative that can can go from wide to spot with the same characteristics that the LED Lenser does, I'm all ears.

I have to agree that one of the nice things about Lensers is that they DO produce a nice, even beam when set to flood. But neutral? Haven't seen a neutral Lenser yet. They're all quite cold. Even a typical neutral XM-L2 makes the tint of a Lenser look pretty bad, to say nothing about a Nichia.

ven

Flashaholic

Check out a few mtg2 lights,great neutral tint,like the acebeam k40m and x60m,also thrunite tn35. For a flood light then the mm15 or vinhs latest creation here

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...M15vnM-Videography-amp-Photography-Mule-Light

None are spot to flood,but the x60m and k40m/tn35 offer a good range of throw and flood.

Urbex Archangel

Newly Enlightened

Big Al W

Newly Enlightened
My p7 failed hard after just 10 months, can't fix no matter what i try.. Binned and won't be buying anymore lensers

TM06, TM36, P25 (Black), EA1, E99TI (Ltd Edition)

ven

Flashaholic
My p7 failed hard after just 10 months, can't fix no matter what i try.. Binned and won't be buying anymore lensers

Dont know if genuine or not but a ring or mail to LEDCO will have soon sorted out,usually within a working day part/s sent out free.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

TM06, TM36, P25 (Black), EA1, E99TI (Ltd Edition)

Many lights do that including other leading makes,you should have used your warranty.

ven

Flashaholic
Many lights do that including other leading makes,you should have used your warranty.

Yes this is true,many well known and more expensive lights can be DOA and this can mean a long wait...............posting to China for one example.

phoenix1901

Newly Enlightened
Hi all there from Turkey,

I bought my Fenix TK-41 v1. via this forum which share reviews on it from Denmark and really happy with it even don't use much.

A good light but a little big.

For the car or bag i wanted to buy a small 4xaaa battery powered Led Lenser M7 new version 400lmn.

Today just got my led lenser but it's storobe function failed just after a few minutes.

Now only working in high mode and fast strobe mode so the other don't work.

I'm not sure i do the something wrong as there is only one button.

I was read one user have strobe functions failed like mine and changed one as same too but it was for the old 220lmn version must be in amazon.de

Now it's exciting the new version have problem after only a few minutes.

Do you have any ideas on solution or i think to return it in tomorrow.

Best regards

Jiri

Newly Enlightened
hello,
I bought the Led Lenser MT7 two weeks ago,and It's one of the best flashlights I ever had,but I saw in the forum that Led Lenser's flashlights are bad flashlights.
Why are you think that Led Lenser flashlight so bad? they have many functions as strobe,SOS,boost and blink-even most of the surefire flashlights haven't strobe mode.Led Lenser's flashlights need only few cheap aa batteries,not like the 123A that costs a lot of money,and the advanced focus system of led lenser is awesome.
So why a lots of people hates Led Lenser?

The question is not why is Led Lenser so bad, but why it is so popular? I guess because a lot of people who don't follow flashlight world think this is the best choice on the market, because their friends have it too and it's the only thing they can recommend. And also cause their are available in almost any outdoor store. We have like just a couple of Brick and mortar store for Fenix, NiteCore or Olight flashlights in Czech Republic. Don't know any of these store that would sell for example SureFire. Led Lenser otherwise is everywhere. So people buy it, don't see a much better choices in stores...

Last edited:

Jiri

Newly Enlightened
Fenix are perfectly good.

However IMHO they are in no way,shape or form far superior to LED Lenser.

My reasons are as below at least as far as the TK41 was concerned:

Third-if a Fenix proves proves ever faulty or you have an accident with it.Where do you send it to? How long will you be without it for?

I don't know how elsewhere, but in Czech Republic the seller has 30 days for solving your problem, if it's unrepairable malfunction he either gives you new light or refund your money... the seller has to deal with his supplier (Fenix). It is not customers job to deal with the company. And it is the same with Fenix or Led Lenser or any other brand.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Sitting here on my comfy sofa in America, it's enlightening to watch the conversation of folks across the world on New Years Day. Almost as if I'm in a pub listening to folks in a nearby booth discussing of all things...flashlights.
Folks who've all landed in town for work purposes and are meeting in a tavern at 5 pm happy hour.
Cheers.

It sounds like LED Lenser has done over there what Mag Lite has done over here. Saturated a flashlight market long enough that the masses buy them....well because everybody else does.

I gave my brother in law a Coast HP1 for Christmas. He says "Coast? Never heard of them" in a 'that's pretty cool' tone.
I told him it's a focus light. He imediately defaults to a Mag Light twisty head focus mindset and begins twisting the head saying "I don't get it."...I slid it for him and he was impressed with the beam, in a non flashaholic way, spot or flood.

Reading this thread I wonder if the masses where you guys live if given a Mag Lite would try sliding the head because so many folks default to an LED Lenser sliding head mindset.

ven

Flashaholic
There is a bonus of the mags in the focus respect imo, the twist does stop the zoomy from moving as easy as the t7/p7 etc models(any that zoom other than the now lockable ones like the t7.2). My t7 always moved easily........too easily and always had to tweak it. Kind of do it subconsciously after a bit, so what was a pita at 1st becomes the norm after a while!

I reckon the push/pull zoomy saved the light on many many drops though over time with the added cushion so to speak(absorbs the impact if a head fall and zoomed out).

Mstevens113

Newly Enlightened
I always liked the looks of the Lenser P7.2 for some reason maybe as when I fitst started looking at proper lights rather than cheapo crap it was one of the first I saw. I managed to win one dirt cheap on ebay. Thought I should have one, might not be the most high tech or useful but what the hell, for the price theres nothing lost.

Compared to my Nitecore MH10 the lenser is nowhere near as versatile. Things the MH10 does the Lenser can't - Slimmer for carrying, moonlight mode, strobe/beacon, 1000lm even spread from close to mid range, long runtime, tail stand, diffuser compatible, waterproof, USB charge etc, you get the picture, we've all heard it so many times. If off out somewhere dark this light will be with me as its so versatile.

The Lenser has its zoomed in throw which is pretty good, goes way further than the MH10. Thats pretty much the only thing it can win on though.

Yet, for some reason, it always puts a smile on my face when I use it. Maybe its the throw, or the feel of it, or the zoom to play with, I don't know. For someone who likes his lights though that is ultimately it what its all about.

So Lensers, yeah, I'm a fan if one can be picked up at the right price so its a fun light not a 'serious' light.

ven

Flashaholic
Trouble is, dirt cheap lensers are usually fake unfortunately. p7.2 for much less than £40 will be fake, even better when you can buy 2 for £30 :laughing: . Ebay is full of them.........brimming! Torch direct or flashaholics for genuine in the UK(of course more authorised sellers, just naming a couple).

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
They do make some cool looking lights and they were among the first to get their LED lights in retail stores in the USA, yet their marketing expertise exceeded the quality and reliability in the light itself. I just had one of my 3 AAA White/green LED Lensers fail this week. For the 'enlightened' there is no reason to buy one of these "LED Lensers" when so many other quality brands are available today.

Last edited:

Buch Nezzer

Newly Enlightened
Trouble is, dirt cheap lensers are usually fake unfortunately. p7.2 for much less than £40 will be fake, even better when you can buy 2 for £30 :laughing: . Ebay is full of them.........brimming! Torch direct or flashaholics for genuine in the UK(of course more authorised sellers, just naming a couple).

@Mstevens113 - "could" have hit on a genuine P7.2 - I know I did - checks out 100%. If the same, seller was listing them (new in box) starting at £9.99, the max I saw one go for was 18 quid, free postage. So if it's about the money, those that got hold of one of these, have no complaints... am sure. At it's brightest, focus/spot , I get a few hundred meters good visibility from it, is well built, feels nice, and looks good - a keeper :)

My first post...good to be here - and HI.

:rock:

Latest posts