Why low mode first on LED lights? Suggestions?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm aware that I'm in the minority, I admitted that in the first sentence :) And did try to litter my post with "for me", to show it was opinion. I'm just trying to get jbrett thinking about the issue a different way. Or, in other words, different UI, issue completely disappears since there's no sense in talking about "order". Gotta find the UI that's right for you.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I'm also a lone voice in the wilderness :) , I'll re-iterate my point from earlier: for me, the mere fact that someone is talking about an order means they're tolerating a mediocre, our-engineers-are-barely-even-trying UI. These days, there are loads of well-designed UIs out there, from rings to Aeon-style or NC EZ-style twist-through to clever single-button approaches like HDS or ZL or Photon or any other number. For me, the problem isn't the order of the modes, the problem is that there's an order at all ... don't accept mediocrity in your UI, and you'll be much happier. Of course, if you'd done that, we wouldn't be having this fun thread; instead, everyone who has that light would simply be turning it on in the right level for them, and we'd all have to find something else to complain about :)

+1

Single modes ftw.

brianna

Enlightened
I want high first on my flashlight. I never use it for very close up work. Or if I wake up in the middle of the night and need to see. I have a Surefire minimus I use for close up, or indoors and it starts low.

tam17

Enlightened
It's practically impossible for a manufacturer to please all flashlight users with a fixed mode sequence, so OP's question doesn't make much sense IMHO. Some progress can be made by either: 1. designing a programmable driver, 2. including a last-used-mode memory function, or 3. simply sticking with a single mode.

One of my favourite EDC lights has a fixed Medium>Low>High sequence. How many times I wished it could turn on in Low or High, depending on the situation. On the other hand, my single-mode 500lm light is perfectly predictable: If I want it to turn on in Low, I wrap my fingers around the bezel...

Cheers

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I'm also a lone voice in the wilderness :) , I'll re-iterate my point from earlier: for me, the mere fact that someone is talking about an order means they're tolerating a mediocre, our-engineers-are-barely-even-trying UI. These days, there are loads of well-designed UIs out there, from rings to Aeon-style or NC EZ-style twist-through to clever single-button approaches like HDS or ZL or Photon or any other number. For me, the problem isn't the order of the modes, the problem is that there's an order at all ... don't accept mediocrity in your UI, and you'll be much happier. Of course, if you'd done that, we wouldn't be having this fun thread; instead, everyone who has that light would simply be turning it on in the right level for them, and we'd all have to find something else to complain about :)
The fact that we're even talking about a user interface for a flashlight is pretty crazy if you think about it. It's a device with a single button and sometimes a rotating bit. There are only so many ways to accommodate multiple modes in such a device, and I think all the best ideas are already on the market in one form or another. If someone can't find a flashlight that suits their own particular preference then they either haven't looked hard enough or their personal preference is so off the wall that it's unmarketable.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's practically impossible for a manufacturer to please all flashlight users with a fixed mode sequence, so OP's question doesn't make much sense IMHO. Some progress can be made by either: 1. designing a programmable driver, 2. including a last-used-mode memory function, or 3. simply sticking with a single mode.

One of my favourite EDC lights has a fixed Medium>Low>High sequence. How many times I wished it could turn on in Low or High, depending on the situation. On the other hand, my single-mode 500lm light is perfectly predictable: If I want it to turn on in Low, I wrap my fingers around the bezel...

Cheers

Infinitely variable too!

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the OPs basement test. This is indicative of a typical scenario an EDC is used for, sitting in the woods for a half hour is not. Also, in the typical town or city, there's enough background light that my night vision abilities hardly ever get used anyway.

In the basement, you blast your 100 lumens, get the job done and come out. If you're going to stay down there and do crosswords or something then you'd want to reconsider I suppose....

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are just too many variables for anybody to give a "one size fits all" solution. Sometimes 100 lumens will be the perfect amount of light, other times it will be too much (or too little). I think a flashlight's default brightness is largely irrelevant as long as you have quick access to the right amount of light for the job. In my opinion based on personal experience, it is always preferable to have a flashlight that starts on low because it's a lot easier on the eyes to start with too little light than too much which is always a risk with any light that defaults to high. But that's just my preference. I'm not suggesting that my opinion is the correct one.

Last edited:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are just too many variables for anybody to give a "one size fits all" solution. Sometimes 100 lumens will be the perfect amount of light, other times it will be too much (or too little). I think a flashlight's default brightness is largely irrelevant as long as you have quick access to the right amount of light for the job. In my opinion based on personal experience, it is always preferable to have a flashlight that starts on low because it's a lot easier on the eyes to start with too little light than too much which is always a risk with any light that defaults to high. But that's just my preference. I'm not suggesting that my opinion is the correct one.

+1