Why NiMH's for the Fenix TK 70 ?

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's funny because I get slightly different results with LSD Nimh with the TK70 on turbo. 1h17 mn max with the LSD and 1h31mn max with non LSD. I did a few tests with the LSD and got consistent results (~1h15mn on turbo)
LSD 8000 mAh from Enix brand. Non LSD 10000 mAh white label from Tenergy.

Interesting. I can't any spec on max discharge rate for the Enix, but they seem like excellent batteries (85% charge after 1 year of storage, up to 1000 cycles!). Those seem to be made in France and I cannot find them directly on Enix's website (unless there are 2 companies with the same name that make batteries) Batteries do get better all the time... do you know if those batteries are a recent product? How many cycles are they at in your TK70 using turbo? How old is your TK70? All those are factors that can relate to the results you are getting and I'm really interested in hearing about it.

I should also say that I have NEVER heard that LSD batteries are unsuitable for high current. In fact, it is generally accepted that Eneloops are better for high current than other, non-LSD mainstream NiMH AA batteries (this wouldn't include high drain batteries like Elites). My recommendation would be to at least try using a LSD NiMH D like the Tenergy Centura before saying it WON'T work.

Before this thread turns into a nit-picking argumentation -for which I see only few personal experience stories and almost no numbers beyond battery capacity- this is my last reply:

Let's put things into perspective: All D batteries are made for high current discharge, but what is the real definition of "high current"? "High current" is not a number; it's a relativistic term: LSD's have a much lower max. discharge rate than non LSD (by almost 5 times last I checked!). It's a fact and unless someone brings me new information, I'm sticking with what I know and has been proven to be true. On the other hand, not too often do we need NiMh batteries for use in devices that need 10 amps or more or even near that.

My Tenergy premiums work fine with the TK70. The AccuEvolution LSD 10 000 mAh worked just fine, but only for a few cycles. They could be overrated by the manufacturer, but reports of people using Accupower batteries said they worked, but the non-LSD type else I would have gotten those instead of the Accuevoluton LSD. If the latest batches of the Accuevolution LSD do not match the original specs -possible- who said so and how did they find out? Did they get bad results because of a setup doomed to fail like the one I used mine in or did they run them through a battery analyzer? (note: as I am a hard fact type of guy: my Accuevolution batteries have been bought in August 2011, same month I received my TK70, and could have been on the shelf for a while before that. Even my supplier could have been unable to tell exactly the production date. When did those batteries really turn from good to bad from the manufacturing side? Did they really turn from good to bad or did flashlights just start asking for more power, proving them to be useless in those demanding lights at the time of the posts you mention? This part of the argument is lost in the total absence of hard data.)

I DO SEE that, on paper, the Centura 7.8amp max output (same for the Accuevolution 10 000 mAh) VS the measured (by CPFers) 11 amp input of the TK70 does not make it a match. you can't power a machine that asks for more amps than the battery can give, Jim! (I have to state the obviousness that only Turbo mode on the TK70 demands 11 measured amps and the lower modes should still work fine)

Perhaps later revisions of the TK70 use less current? Possible. Perhaps tenergy should revise the max discharge rating of the Centura? (and perhaps this whole part of the discussion belongs in a separate thread?)

To keep to the original intent of this thread, why not stop talking about paper, theory, impressions and ideas and let people with real-world experiences of what works in the TK70 after a few weeks of cycling their batteries talk?

From this point on, I'm letting this thread be what it was intended to be; why NiMh. Which NiMh or Lipo are proven to work should still be considered on-topic for the OPs sake.

Not sure if I mentioned that part, but the Asian version of the TK70 did come with a LiPo battery compartment... a quick CPF search should bring up two threads or so on the topic...

[EDIT]:

just one example of what can be found:

Fenix TK 70. Battery options. 32900 F cell?

Last edited:

eff

Enlightened
Interesting. I can't any spec on max discharge rate for the Enix, but they seem like excellent batteries (85% charge after 1 year of storage, up to 1000 cycles!). Those seem to be made in France and I cannot find them directly on Enix's website (unless there are 2 companies with the same name that make batteries) Batteries do get better all the time... do you know if those batteries are a recent product? How many cycles are they at in your TK70 using turbo? How old is your TK70? All those are factors that can relate to the results you are getting and I'm really interested in hearing about it.

Before buying them I didn't even know these enix batteries existed, so I can't say for sure if they're recent or not. The company seems to sell their batteries in bulk mainly to other manufacturers. So it may explain why they're not widely known to the public. There are a few online shops that do sell them (all-batteries, etc ...). I personally got them from a "brick and mortar store".
I got 12 8000 mAh Enix, that have around 20 cycles each more or less (same thing for my Tenergy D cells). The TK70 was bought in march or april 2012.

Your problem with your AccuEvolution LSD may also come from the charger. What kind of charger do you use ? (I charge my D cells with either the BC1HU or with a hobby charger)

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before buying them I didn't even know these enix batteries existed, so I can't say for sure if they're recent or not. The company seems to sell their batteries in bulk mainly to other manufacturers. So it may explain why they're not widely known to the public. There are a few online shops that do sell them (all-batteries, etc ...). I personally got them from a "brick and mortar store".
I got 12 8000 mAh Enix, that have around 20 cycles each more or less (same thing for my Tenergy D cells). The TK70 was bought in march or april 2012.

Your problem with your AccuEvolution LSD may also come from the charger. What kind of charger do you use ? (I charge my D cells with either the BC1HU or with a hobby charger)

Definitely sounds like recent batteries (or Europe is again way ahead of the curve) as they are stated with an output rate of 24 amps for great LSD. With such specs, no surprise they work just fine in a TK70. They don't seem to be available around here, but I'm keeping those in mind.

My charger is a titanium innovations MD-3000, bought especially for my TK70's batteries. AFAIK it is pretty much the same as the BC1HU.