Why no strobe on the new L1?

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you need the strobe for?

As I have said before, there are three possible applications for a strobe:

1) Tactical. Fast strobe to disturb someone to gain a few crucial moments in a fight. That needs a radically re-designed user interface compared to the standard SF UIs, and even then it's doubtful that it's more successful than a normal momentary flash, never mind the fact that you need special training to take advantage of any such application. As I see it, Surefire does not see it useful enough to invest in the R&D for the UI. As far as I can see, the Gladius is the only light that can fulfill this purpose (though the Nocatac T-model might be close, but I never used it).

2) Attention getter. Warning or signaling. That should be much slower than the tactical strobe, more of a blinking. Still needs some R&D for adding an additional mode. But it's not really useful for a handheld light. For a lantern or a specialized light (bike, or a light to clip to your clothing for jogging in the dark), this is a useful mode. But for a general purpose light not really necessary, IMO.

3) To show off. Meh. (The way Fenix implements it, that's only what it's good for, IMHO).

In summary, I don't think that a strobe mode is something a manufacturer interested in making a useful illumination tool should be bother with.

Last edited:

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it seems many flashlight makers have adopted the strobe feature, which lets the customer decide if this is useful. Surefire seems to be of the opinion that it isn't, so they don't bother.

Last night, I came close to fighting with a high risk, muscular mental patient who claimed to have a lot of fighting experience as part of a Crip "set." He did have prison time. I had my strobing Novatac in my pocket, but my plans for the fight didn't involve a small flashlight in my hand. It wasn't dark enough to require a flashlight.

A lot of hand to hand techniques require both hands--particularly the takedowns. I guess if you strobed, then dropped the light to do the takedown, it could work. This all requires more training and thought about where strobing might help than, "OK, I'm strobing. . .now what?"

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
...This all requires more training and thought about where strobing might help than, "OK, I'm strobing. . .now what?"

LOL. Well put. I feel the same way. If it's dark, I think if you flash a high lumens light in someone's eyes, that's as good as it gets. I doubt they'll even notice the strobe for awhile. Beat feet for the door, exit stage right, etc., etc.