Why not more headlamps?

Lefselight

Newly Enlightened
I have also have really gotten into headlamps lately. I find myself using them more and more often for many of the above reasons. I, too, have wondered why there isn't more about headlamps.

I do occasionally use a Nite-Ize headband, usually with a LW 2000 or PT Attitude. The problem is, that I'm old and wear bi-focals, and on close up things I have a terrible time getting the light pointed in the right direction to use my bi-focals. I can do it, but it takes a bunch of fooling around and gets irritating. For distance use it's OK, I guess, but far from ideal. A real headlamp is far easier to use and more comfortable.

As far as brightness goes, consider that the PT Vortec is essentially a PT 40 with a different battery case on a headband. We all know that the PT 40 gives us quite good brightness and throw, especially with NiMh batteries and a KPR 103 bulb. It, however, may be slightly heavy on the forehead for some people. I have converted a PT Matrix to use external battery packs (the insides got pretty messed up by a leaky battery, but the Matrix module wasn't harmed) and with 4 cells and the appropriate bulb its pretty darn bright. Essentially a PT Vortec in slightly different form. I could probably go brighter with more cells, but hesitate to do so because of heat concerns on the reflector and lens.

I agree that a headlamp is not convenient for EDC. Just too bulky. When I do need a headlamp, I use the Matrix (now in a PT Quest housing) and the Aurora the most because they're bright enough most of the time. Now, if I could only decide exactly what I want to do with that Petzl Mega I found in a thrift store for 80 cents!

StuU

Enlightened
My first head-lamp was a mod built from an ancient REI incandescent headlamp and 3 loose leds. I showed my elderly father-in-law how neat it was. He said I must be thinking of becoming a coal miner.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
One main reason why not, may be the simple fact that people are programmed from birth, to think in terms of flashlights. Think of it as Generational Brainwashing.

To get a decent headlamp, you generally have to go to an outdoor outfitter on the local level.

Only incandescant headlamps (and carbides) attract bugs. LEDs and 1 Watt LSes don't (at least where I live).

For that Petzl Mega: get an LED bulb for it. C. Crane, REI, LEDcorp, and Inner Mountain Outfitters have them. Maybe others.

Brocken

Newly Enlightened
I have been using the photon Fuson for biking home from work at night, it isn't enough even with a catseye inexpensive bike light on the front when in total darkness without any moon light. The first night on the way home from work I thought I had made a mistake, not enough to see anything, luckly I had a surefire M2 upgraded to the P91 bulb and three cells. It only gets 20 to 25 minutes of run time but it was enough to get me back to town where there are street lights. when it was lit up, it was like driving a car down the bike trail, lots of light. I did get a handle bar mount for the light so I don't have to hold it but have been toying with the idea of trying to run it off a battery pack instead of using up my lithium battery supply. If I could figure out a way to power and disspate the heat this 200 lumen light would be a rocking headlight.

dave

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brocken, we are talking about headlamps, like your fusion. What's mounted on your bike or vehicle, are headlights.

There are far too many junky headlamps on the market. In a pinch, even a junky one is better than nothing (if it works).

I am a headlamp buff and I currently have:

Lightwave Illuminator - 3AA, 4 LED
2 Brinkmann Focused LED headlamps - 2AA, 1 LED
PT Solo w/Matrix Module - 2AA, 3 LED
Coleman Peak 1 Expedition w/Versalux PR-2 - 2D, 1 LED
Petzl Zoom Adapter w/LED bulb - 3AA, 1 LED
Petzl Mega Belt w/LED Bulb - 3AA or 3C, currently 3 LED bulb
Headlamp Mod for Arc LS - 4AA in series/parallel

Oh, I am sure I will get more. The Petzl Myo intrigues me.

hideo

Enlightened
I've been a pretty avid headlight user for awhile, but was frequently frustrated by compromises in size/weight/fit (dosen't do any good when it slips down over your eyes), brightness and burn time . . .

I use an ARC AAA on a Jakstrap frequently, but just got one of Wayne's (Elektrolumens) 1W Luxeon headlamps--it's a little bulky, but puts every other readily available headlamp (and most flashlights) I've seen to shame . . .

hideo

Dorcy yellows smooth and FACETED reflector , ARC AAA LEs, 1 turquoise and UV, Mag 3 cell,numerous mini-mags, RayOVac 4AA xenon cheapies, Lenser Photonpumps in red, white and blue flashing, Surefire G2, Streamlight 4AA LED and Elektrolumens 1W Luxeon headlight

shrap

Enlightened
Brocken -

Go get a real bike headlight from NiteRider, Light and Motion, Apex, Cateye, etc. so you can be safe.

While 200 lumens may be a lot for a hand-held flashlight, it is standard with bike mounted systems. My NiteRider Digital Pro 12-E has two lights, 10 and 15 watts, and the 10 watt lamp can be undervolted to 3 and 6 watts for longer runtime.

Even with both lamps (spot and flood) burning, it gets runtimes of over an hour, constant output (b/c of NiMH).

Much cheaper to run than your Surefire.

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
For *interesting* headlamps: www.lupine.de
all their lights can be used as head- or bikelights.
Got their 26 LED light (the so-called cheaper version) and it's great! Use it mostly on the bike (mounts on handlebars and the like). Virtually indestructible (I tried!) and a terrific foglight :).
They also make a HID head/bikelight.

Also have a couple of Petzl Tikka's: wouldn't go camping without one, now I want a Petzl Zipka too (easier to EDC).
My only "proper" flashlight is a ARC AAA (LS4 or -5 eagerly awaited!) Almost bought a G2, but 123s are VERY expensive here...