Will a "SUPER" lithium battery damage my flashlight?

Enzo

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a 4Sevens Revo and it came with a Duracell AAA alkaline battery. I want to change the battery to a primary lithium and see where some brands like Everready have 4X or 8X on the packaging.
Is it possible to damage the flashlight if I use a lithium AAA that claims to last 8 times longer than a "regular" lithium or is this all hype?

afdk

Newly Enlightened
The only concern is, can the flashlight in question except the higher typical voltage of 1.7-1.8. I have a Felix LD01s and use a AAA lithium energizer ultimate cell, no problems at all and the 77 lumen mode is brighter! If your light can use the lithium cell, you won't have to worry about alkaline cell leakage.

Last edited:

onetrickpony

Enlightened
Here's what to do: Contact 4sevens and ask em'. From what I've heard, their customer service is top notch, I'm sure they'll give you an answer. Just look at their ad banner on CPF: "You spoke. We listened." (Or some such thing.)

If I had to guess, I can't imagine that going from 1.5 to 1.8 volts could damage the driver, which is what you'd be worried about. Most drivers are rated in a range, such as .8 to 4.2, 3 to 9, or 4.2 to 18. Just a few examples, but the point is that there's always an acceptable range, and most manufacturers don't send out products that are constantly on the verge of frying themselves every time you turn them on.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are about 20 to 30 different Lithium chemistry. Some rechargeable and some not. Do not use one of the rechargable chemistries

There really are only two that will work in your Revo and both are made by Energizer. The Energizer Advanced Lithium cell or the Energizer Ultimate L92 Lithium. These are available at almost any store that sells batteries. They come in a blue package, and the latest batch should have a exp date of 2025.

Both of these are great and are actually less likely to damage your Revo, because they don't leak. Alkalines leak all the time.

The 4x and 8x applies only to digital cameras or other very high power devices. Alkalines can't handle that. The lithium's will run longer on max in a Revo but the runtime difference on med and low isn't as great. Nimh rechargeable also will perform considerable better than alkalines in high and almost never leak.

Revo Runtime graphs for Alkalines, Eneloop Nimh and Energizer lithum available here:
http://www.flashlightreviews.ca/ReVO.htm

Last edited:

onetrickpony

Enlightened
There are about 20 to 30 different Lithium chemistry. Some rechargeable and some not. Do not use one of the rechargable chemistries

There really are only two that will work in your Revo and both are made by Energizer. The Energizer Advanced Lithium cell or the Energizer Ultimate L92 Lithium. These are available at almost any store that sells batteries. They come in a blue package, and the latest batch should have a exp date of 2025.

Both of these are great and are actually less likely to damage your Revo, because they don't leak. Alkalines leak all the time.

The 4x and 8x applies only to digital cameras which require huge amounts of power for very short duration. Alkalines can't handle that. The lithium's will run longer on max in a Revo but not 4x as long. The Lithium's will also have a flatter discharge curve.

I sincerely hope no one was talking about rechargeables! OMFGWTF!? Chances are the person asking this question wasn't about to hop on the web and order up some 10440's....

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OP joined in March so I just wanted to clear that up right off the bat. I have seen about 2 posts a week from people who didn't understand the difference between Li Primary and Li Rechargable.

onetrickpony

Enlightened
The OP joined in March so I just wanted to clear that up right off the bat. I have seen about 2 posts a week from people who didn't understand the difference between Li Primary and Li Rechargable.

Good point.

EDIT: By the way, I only just "joined" in March, but that's only because of the Titanic hitting the iceberg, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

bobrip

Newly Enlightened
Please post any products you have that have been damaged by Lithium L92 batteries by Energizer. Only post actual damage reports, not theory.