Will I turn into a Maglite fan once again?

The Hawk

Enlightened
Just when I thought I was finished buying flashlights (yeah, right), I read this thread and started researching Maglite. I ended up ordering a ML300L LED 4D cell Maglite. It claims to have 1002 lumen on high with a 5 hour run time. Also claims 18 day run time on Eco mode. They had a discount code of 30% off. Regular price was $90. I got mine for $66.75 including tax with free delivery. Thanks for the info.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just when I thought I was finished buying flashlights (yeah, right), I read this thread and started researching Maglite. I ended up ordering a ML300L LED 4D cell Maglite. It claims to have 1002 lumen on high with a 5 hour run time. Also claims 18 day run time on Eco mode. They had a discount code of 30% off. Regular price was $90. I got mine for $66.75 including tax with free delivery. Thanks for the info.

The 4D ML300 seems like a great light, I may have to get one. Do you have the coupon code?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I opted for a HALO edition ML50LX and a St Jude solitaire.
That will complete the St Jude collection as unless you look in the St Jude section the solitaire version does not show up anywhere else.

The HALO is program created by a double amputee Dana Brown to assist fellow wounded warriors.

I struggled between the Popular Mechanics 4D, the National Association of Search and Rescue 4D or a plain one so I opted for the ML50LX. At around 8 hours (or less) per night the ML50 would light my den for up to 2 weeks.

On another note, in my mailbox this morning was a pewter color 2aa minimag from around Y2k with an inova nite ize triple that uses 5mm LED's and along with that was a mint condition gold colored 2aa minimag from around 1986. Member JayHawk said he was thinning the herd so he sent them to little ole me. That was awesome!!

FC28-E3-F7-AA9-D-496-E-94-F9-E60682-FBE6-AF.jpg

The triple minimag

F7742-F9-D-43-DF-4831-A896-99099-B29-E8-D0.jpg

The (g)oldy but goody.

The Nite Ize bi-pin drop in pits out around 25 lumens or so like having 3 Yujis in a circle.
Up close to a wall the beam looks like a radioactive symbol but back away a few feet and you get a nice floody beam good for checking that bump in the night without waking anybody.

D86102-F4-2025-4469-A310-C191-E62125-B3.jpg

Up close and personal

ED822-C29-CA31-4512-97-DD-CDD2-B525592-D.jpg

A few feet away things look normal

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of those tripple LED nite ize drop-ins in one of my old mini Mags, got it a walmart back around 2005. To tell you the truth, I was never all that impressed. I doubt mine was 25 lumens and the beam is all flood with no real focusability. I tested the run time on eneloops and brightness dropped off a lot in the first two hours to about 6 lumens and by 11 hrs it was down to about 2 lumens. Back in 2005 LEDs were not all that efficient. One thing I did like was that it was good for "candle mode" using the head as a stand for the rest of the light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I was figuring 'not bad for 2005 territory'. Not bad at all.

Then I fired up the pristine '86 minimag and thought "no wonder these things sold like 1/2 price beer. Good gosh it's bright"……not realizing just how dirty my users are.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was figuring 'not bad for 2005 territory'. Not bad at all.

Then I fired up the pristine '86 minimag and thought "no wonder these things sold like 1/2 price beer. Good gosh it's bright"……not realizing just how dirty my users are.

Yup, that was state of the art back then, LEDs were just beginning to be offered to the mainstream public and most people were amazed at the light they put out, their longer battery life and the fact that the LEDs last pretty much forever. Maglite didn't come out with a LED MM until 2006 (running a Luxeon III), so something like the Nite Ize drop in is what was available in c.2004/5 if you didn't come up with your own LED mod.

BTW that gold MM looks real nice, I always like the gold Mags, but they seem to be something of a rarity or at least one of the colors you don't see all that often.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I suppose there was a time when the minimag was popular enough to have an accessory industry built around it kinda like the P60 later on did. And the ripoffs minimag holster was much nicer than those provided by Maglite at the time. Today there are so many choices out there that the minimag got lost in the crowd with Joe the Plumber types.

From time to time my fakebook page has a Maglite ad. And the typical reply is "phonix is better" or "maglite can't compete with q light" type comments. What I saw yesterday were "thank you for eco mode" type comments from people who had lost electricity in recent storms in America.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ Plus.. RIP-Offs is veteran owned company

BrightGuy dot com has a nice collection of RO holsters offered at decent prices! :party: 🇺🇲

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose there was a time when the minimag was popular enough to have an accessory industry built around it kinda like the P60 later on did. And the ripoffs minimag holster was much nicer than those provided by Maglite at the time. Today there are so many choices out there that the minimag got lost in the crowd with Joe the Plumber types.

From time to time my fakebook page has a Maglite ad. And the typical reply is "phonix is better" or "maglite can't compete with q light" type comments. What I saw yesterday were "thank you for eco mode" type comments from people who had lost electricity in recent storms in America.

There used to be a whole cottage industry making Mini Mag accessories - I think that's how Nite Ize got started?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Nite Ize started in 1989 in Colorado making a head band to hold a small flashlight. Perhaps the minimag played a role in their success.
In 2010 they acquired the Inova brand after colaborating with Emissive Energy for a few years. Emissive Energy was responsible for many developments in LED technology. So the partnership may be what led to Nite Ize selling the bi pin drop ins for minimag lights from technology acquired from Emissive Energy who chose to focus on military products like InForce lights.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nite Ize started in 1989 in Colorado making a head band to hold a small flashlight. Perhaps the minimag played a role in their success.
In 2010 they acquired the Inova brand after colaborating with Emissive Energy for a few years. Emissive Energy was responsible for many developments in LED technology. So the partnership may be what led to Nite Ize selling the bi pin drop ins for minimag lights from technology acquired from Emissive Energy who chose to focus on military products like InForce lights.

That small flashlight was the Mini Mag. NiteIze used to make a stand with 4 movable legs so that you could set it down and light up something you were working on, a neoprene, soft grip sock and a thingy that went on the back that you could bite on to hold the light with your teeth – all for the Mini Mag.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
There used to be a whole cottage industry making Mini Mag accessories

Absolutely, such as my incan MM 3xAA conversion kits w/Al reflector, extension tube (w/coupling w/second spring), and appropriate lamps for the app. Those were circa 1995 from TacStar. Oddly, I just got one of those out and played with it last week:)

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutely, such as my incan MM 3xAA conversion kits w/Al reflector, extension tube (w/coupling w/second spring), and appropriate lamps for the app. Those were circa 1995 from TacStar. Oddly, I just got one of those out and played with it last week:)

Cool. I remember those but I didn't know who made them or much of anything about them. Maybe we need a thread on Maglite accessories?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nite Ize started in 1989 in Colorado making a head band to hold a small flashlight

I think they still sell those. I picked one up only ~5 years ago. I've used it with 1xAAA/AA/123 lights as a cheap and dirty, fold up and slip in a pocket 'emergency' head light when mobile hands-free light is needed in a jam. A MM 2xAA is probably near the practical weight limit, and they may not be ideal, but hey - the thing works, and is way better than nothin', and better than sticking the thing in my mouth! I always have such a light with me, and it takes very little room in a pocket etc.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. I remember those but I didn't know who made them or much of anything about them. Maybe we need a thread on Maglite accessories?

TacStar has also produced a remote pressure switch setup for the MM - if you can believe that! No, I don't have one:)