Winter Storm, Ice Storm Topic

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just thought I would start this as the discussion thread for the major winter storm/ice storm that is scheduled do do a number on a bunch of us.

For my area, snow today and tonight, changing to freezing rain overnight and monday. Changing back to snow on tuesday.

Anyone having 'fun' yet?

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
It supposed to be bad here, I'm waiting to see. I'm stuck in the city so I don't have any way to have a backup wood stove or anything.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Here, it's going to start at 22:00 tonight. It will continue throughout the night and change to ice and freezing rain on Monday evening and into Tuesday. Total accumilation 4-6.

snuffy

Enlightened
Started here a couple of hours ago. Strong NE wind and 2" on the ground so far. Temp 17 degrees. Looks like I'm finally gonna get to use my new snowblower. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

was_jlh

Enlightened
3 - 4 inches here so far, temp low 20's, snowed all morning, sleeting now

central NC

DBrier

Enlightened
Started here right at 1:00 just like they predicted. We didn't get any of the freezing rain, but the roads are very slick. I had to take the Subaru out just to make sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
A couple of inches so far.

Bill.H

Enlightened
I just want to wish you guys good luck!

I'd rather have a foot+ of snow than a few hours of freezing rain. It doesn't get much worse than an ice storm, well, maybe an earthquake.

Clear and sunny here today, negative temps tonight, a high barely above zero (F) while the sun was shining. To be honest, I wouldn't trade this cold for an extra 35 degrees if it meant precipitation with it.

Clean out the garage and get the car inside, and when you get it out, drive carefully!

Anyone have a recommendation for a light bright enough to melt ice? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
We're looking at a 24 hour snow/sleet storm, followed by a few hour gap, then followed by a snowstorm

This "sleet" storm worries me much more than the NWS lets on. The ground here is COLD - it's 17 degs now, and that's the warmest it's been in days. The ground is COLD - everything is COLD - I really think we have the chance of a serious ice storm

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hm. it's -13º here right now.. -23º with windchill.. but there is no ice storm or snow storm warning..
so for a change, please, allow me to be the first, to formally say:
suckerrrrrrs!!! hahaha

(be safe tho)

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a balmy 21 degrees here, heck I may go outside and test some lights. Well, except for the drifting snow and wind. Eh, only 4-5 more months til summer

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gee, thanks Blinded (I think). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As of 0000 EST Monday, a couple inches of snow, with very light flurries, here in Mansfield, Ohio.

No ice. Yet.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
As of 1355 EST 1/26, looks like a bit of mist or fog outside. Had to be at least 4 inches of new snow from this storm (part 1), since our drive was plowed and the front walk and porch was shoveled (4 inch minimum for this).

Not sure what is coming now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Well on our way to a foot+ of powder today, its been snowing since nighttime and shows no signs of stopping.

Gotta love the skiers' comments. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
We got about 6" over Sunday night, had a level 2 snow warning this morning which means don't be on the roads unless you have to so it took me about 45 minutes to get to work which normally takes 30, less traffic made it easier. Internet had some issuses, but probabaly not storm related but nothing eventful.

stockwiz

Enlightened
Got 2 or 3 inches so far here on top of an inch of lake effect that fell Sunday night and a few inches that fell the week before.... nothing really big, but a few 2 or 3 inchers that are starting to pile up. It's uncommon for us to get lake effect here on the west side of lake michigan, but today's storm is being enhanced by the lake.

Glad to finally see some snow. I'm one of those people that would love to live in a lake belt that gets pounded with snow constantly. Get to rub it in to these people that don't think we should be seeing snow in winter. :d

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eugene, your State would be helpful to know where your 'here' is. (state is good enough). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mail carrier and pizza delivery men told it is getting real slick out. I told the pizza delivery guy about those ice spike things for shoes and boots. He is very interested in finding a pair. He seems like a very practical minded person.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KC2IXE said:...This "sleet" storm worries me much more than the NWS lets on....

...The ground here is COLD - it's 17 degs now, and that's the warmest it's been in days. The ground is COLD - everything is COLD - I really think we have the chance of a serious ice storm

[/ QUOTE ]

I listen to NOAA weather radio a lot, and I've noticed over the years that the NWS tends be on the conservative side. With regard to snow totals, they routinely up the totals as the storm gets closer, instead of giving you what the models actually predict. TWC tends to give you the full story, with the understanding that it may change.

Last year, there was a storm upstate from you where the NWS said a dusting to an inch the day before it hit. TWC said it was possible it could be much larger, if it tracks more to the north. It did. We got 21 inches!