Winter stove options. My preferred is White Gas.

PiperBob

Newly Enlightened
I have a whisperlite. Last time I tried to use it it caught fire. There is leak where the fuel line goes into the stove. Bad O ring I believe. I saw MSR sells an O-ring kit, but I didn't feel like paying as much as they wanted for something I don't use often.

Ended up buying a Coleman single burner instead and it's been great. I haven't been backpacking for 18 years though.

When I was a Boy Scout in Kansas I learned a propane trick -- take the canister to bed with you and you'll be able to use it in the morning ;-)

Back in the 80s we had an assistant Scout Master who had an old Optimus stove. That thing was incredible.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i found gas for my new grill i have on the way. it was only 1.75 per bottle for 8 ounces a butane

raggie33

*the raggedier*
dont buy the above stove in my post it worked for a bit then quit.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yeah im lucky i aint going camping to april b4 it gets hot.. i was kinda bummed i was so exicted to be able to use the cheap butane canisters got em for like 150 for 8 ounces at a asain grocery store way cheaper then the butane propane camping fuel. .now i have a dpower stove on the way

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to hear that:) I'm always searching also. Love reading Mr Walkers posts on this issue because his are always hands on evaluations..

You'll want to create a good windshield for the dpower as I believe they don't come with one. But it gets good reviews.

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ps check ya local walmart mine has heet in the yellow bottle for 1 buck great in alchol stoves

raggie33

*the raggedier*
dpower is ok now. right now im trying to bring 6 cups of water to boil its kinda slow but i got time

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered a StoveTec's Big Foot Two-Door and Super Pot Combo. This is not for backpacking but a great stove to have around for power outages and when your car camping. This will burn just about anything. I'll give reports back when it arrives. I also already have a Kelly kettle. Same thing not for backpacking. I love being able to burn the items I have around me and not have to bring in fuel.

image upload no size limit

image upload no compression

Both pictures are from the Web just to show if you've never seen these. My Kelly kettle has been used many times for boiling water for coffee, tea hot chocolate etc.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Just ordered a StoveTec's Big Foot Two-Door and Super Pot Combo. This is not for backpacking but a great stove to have around for power outages and when your car camping. This will burn just about anything. I'll give reports back when it arrives. I also already have a Kelly kettle. Same thing not for backpacking. I love being able to burn the items I have around me and not have to bring in fuel.

image upload no size limit

image upload no compression

Both pictures are from the Web just to show if you've never seen these. My Kelly kettle has been used many times for boiling water for coffee, tea hot chocolate etc.
2 cool dude i love survival and camping gear. lol i have like 11 laterns 4 stoves and like 250 d cell batts.i pick stuff up when it goes on sale today i found a jet stove with a 12 pieace cooking kit for 21 bucks

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a MSR Firefly gas stove that is approaching umm lets see almost 60 years old and still does the job required of it.