Wolf Eyes cree drop-in

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my 170 lumen LED drop in for my 2 CR123 Wolf Eyes 6P/Sniper. For a total cost of $80 light and drop in combo ($50 for the drop in) this thing is incredible! BRIGHT! beautiful white beam, amazing. It replaced my L1P CE as my LED belt carry. It now rides along side my A2 on my belt!

Flash007

Enlightened
tsask said:
I just got my 170 lumen LED drop in for my 2 CR123 Wolf Eyes 6P/Sniper. For a total cost of $80 light and drop in combo ($50 for the drop in) this thing is incredible! BRIGHT! beautiful white beam, amazing. It replaced my L1P CE as my LED belt carry. It now rides along side my A2 on my belt!

You use the drop-in with 2x cr123 ?
It must be much brighter than your Surefire A2.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash007 said:
You use the drop-in with 2x cr123 ?
It must be much brighter than your Surefire A2.
yes it's 2 x CR123. I have yet to run 2 RCRs together. It is brighter than my A2 but I think the "perfect incan A2" could throw further in rain, fog, mist etc I highly reccomend that 170 lumen CREE drop in.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Flash007,

opps - I did not see the MFG "listed" runtime with one 18650 cell for the 170 lumen module.

Even so, according to the current readings posted for the 170 lumen module, it is not regulated down to 3.7 volts. The current goes up as voltage drops to around 4.8 volts - but then does not regulate (as voltage drops the current increases to maintain power). This indicates the module is not regulated for a single cell at 3.7 volts - WE NEED ACCURATE INFO.

Flash007

Enlightened
You're right.

We need more information about the regulation with 1x 18650 and these new modules (3,7V-13V). Maybe Mike-PTS or GlenC shoud give more information after contacting the manufacturer.

Discharge curve graph is the best answer.

If these new drop-ins aren't regulated with 18650, I'll use them with 2xRCR123 to keep regulation, but I'll loose the longer runtime. :sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

I have ordered both 130 AND 170 lumens Cree new drop-ins, and they are on the way.
When I'll receive them, I'll do some comparative test with different cells type.

What's bad in the story, I have buyed these new drop-ins for only one reason :

they are supposed to be regulated with single 18650/17670 cell ! ! !
(according to the MFG specs).

edc3

Enlightened
Not sure if this helps the thread at all but I was playing around with my 170 lumen drop in tonight and took this shot of my Sniper vs. my highbeams.

sniper_vs_headlights.jpg

Flash007

Enlightened
Your 170 lumens Cree, with wich type of batterie do you use it ?
2x cr123 ? 1x rechargeable Li-ion ? 2x rechargeable Li-ion ?

It appears to be dimmer than the others two incandescent beams.
What are these incandescent beams ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

edc3

Enlightened
The Sniper is top middle. I'm using 2x CR123. It is dimmer than the headlights, but then again, they're headlights on high.

Flash007

Enlightened
Thanks.

2x cr123 means regulated with the HO 170 lumens Cree.
The headlights are vey powerful compared to the Cree.
Do you how many lumens they are ?

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash007,

That would be great if your could provide some info when you get the modules. I am interested in getting the 130 lumen module but only if it is regulated on 1 rechargable cell - I am going to run my Pila G2 on the 18650. I already have the Cree module that it came with (and is very nice - and BRIGHT) but it is not regulated with 1 cell. It still does produces a lot of light on 1 cell and the dimming is too hard to see - only after 4 or so hours of runtime can I tell even a little dimming and it is still brighter than a Streamlight 4aa Luxion! It can go for a few more hours too.

If the specs by the mfg are correct for the 130 lumen module (3 hours regulated - 30 minutes dimming) I would be very happy with this module.

Last edited:

Flash007

Enlightened
regulator said:
Flash007,

That would be great if your could provide some info when you get the modules. I am interested in getting the 130 lumen module but only if it is regulated on 1 rechargable cell - I am going to run my Pila G2 on the 18650. I already have the Cree module that it came with (and is very nice - and BRIGHT) but it is not regulated with 1 cell. It still does produces a lot of light on 1 cell and the dimming is too hard to see - only after 4 or so hours of runtime can I tell even a little dimming and it is still brighter than a Streamlight 4aa Luxion! It can go or a ew more hours too.

If the specs by the mfg are correct for the 130 lumen module (3 hours regulated - 30 minutes dimming) I would be very happy with this module.

Be sure I'll do a runtime test with LM631 luxmeter.

For the 130 lumens and 170 lumens version.

:)

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash007 said:
Be sure I'll do a runtime test with LM631 luxmeter.

For the 130 lumens and 170 lumens version.

Looking forward to that. 18650 and maybe another cell combo? I know that's asking alot, but it seems to be the only way to see what is going on in this circuit.

Flash007

Enlightened
I plan to do two runtime test with different cells in a Wolf Eyes D2AX :

- 18650 cell (AW new cell 2200mAh)
- 2x RCR123 (AW high current 750mAh)

Both for 130 lumens and 170 lumens drop-ins.

I'm sure with 2xRCR123 the drop-ins will maintain regulation, but we'll see with 18650.

BSBG

Enlightened
Glock40 said:
Has anyone compared it with the bug out gear drop in?

No, but since my BO Gear drop in appears to be the Dealextreme drop in, right down to the plastic insulator, I'd guess that the WE was put together better :thinking:

cchurchi

Enlightened
I have both the 130 and 170 lumen wolf eyes cree drop-ins and have run them back to back in my D2AX sniper using 1 X 18650 and output seemed identical. However, the reflectors are clearly different between the two drop-ins. The 130 lumen drop-in has the emitter sitting about 1mm above the reflector, which has a flat, unpolished base. The 170 lumen drop in has a polished, concave base that sits flush with the emiter. The beam profile is also different between the two. The 130 lumen drop-in has a smaller, brighter hot spot with a very dark ring around it. The 170 lumen drop-in has a roughly 50% larger, and slightly dimmer, hot spot with almost no dark ring visable and the flood area is definately brighter. Next, I installed my 130 lumen drop-in into my surefire Z2 combat light running on 2 X CR123 and ran them back to back while camping last night. I couldn't see any output difference between running 1 X 18650 in the D2AX or 2 X CR123 in the Z2. Not to say there is no difference, I just couldn't actually see it. If I could only keep one drop in, it would be the High out put drop-in because the beam was cleaner, and more usable because of the brighter hot spot and only slightly compromised throw. Still interested in the output and runtime graphs that have been promised else where in this thread.

m5shooter

Newly Enlightened
jumpstat said:
Output wise, is the WE-130 lumens brighter than Litemania's or Calvinmo28's 6 mode drop in? . A beamshot of them would be better. TIA

I have this same question...considering the price differance.
Calvinmo28's drop in is $22.
Litemania's is $30.
PTS is $45.

Is the WE-130 worth the extra $$$ because I'm...:broke: