wolf eyes pilot whale

archerer

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys this is my first post so how are you all doing. I need a super bright flashlight. I work on a paper machine and need to view things from a long ways away. Also a paper mill is wet and nasty so I need a very tuff light that is water proof. I thing I want the wolf eyes pilot what. Is this light to big to carry on belt sometimes. I wouldn't need to carry it all day. Does it compare in diameter to one of those cheap yellow d cell flashlights. MOST important question........where to you buy the diving version online in the US.......I can't find it anywhere.

thanks

archerer

Newly Enlightened
ttt.........I can't find the diving version online anywhere and I really would like to order that one.

Wattnot

Enlightened
:welcome:

The Pilot Whale is a 1000 lumen monster, mostly flood light. It doesn't seem right for your application. A super bright flood light will reflect on all things prior to your target and can actually make it more difficult to see. I have lights so bright they will reflect off of grass and trees! There are many, many threads with questions very similar to yours. Browse/search for a while, you'll learn a lot.

You don't need a dive light to have a good light that can take a dunking. We have people who leave their "regular," non-dive lights in fish tanks for months with no problems. I believe every light I bought since hanging out here will do that.

I don't want to throw out suggestions here because there are literally DOZENS of lights that would work very well for you . . . but do a search in the reviews section and I'm sure you'll find something. You can search my name and selfbuilt, just to name a couple. You can get a much smaller and much cheaper light that will serve you well. Also consider batteries if you're going to use it a lot. For instance, daily use of a light that only takes CR123 primaries (non-rechargeable) will get expensive fast.

Enjoy but be forewarned, it doesn't take much to become one of us and end up owning dozens of lights, all different kinds of batteries and charges and more!

archerer

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the reply. I would have told you that earlier but they have been killing me at work. I appreciate you trying to help me. I was just thinking about the pilot whale because I have to go outside at night sometimes and inspect chest that are sometimes 100 ft tall. I got my mind on wolf eyes for some reason. I think I am going to pick out a more compact model. Do you have any suggestions. I like the mc-explorer model, but I don't like the 45 minute run time. What would be some good choices from wolf eyes that offer good run time and brightness. Also rechargeable is a must, because I would be using this light daily.

357mag1

Enlightened
Have you considered a Streamlight Stinger HP LED? It can put an amazing amount of light right where you want it and you can twist the head to get more flood. Kind of like a Maglight but works a ton better. Can't beat a lifetime warranty either.
The carry them on the BoTach Tactical website and give CPF members a 15 percent discount. Also a sponsor here.

This version http://www.botachtactical.com/ststdsledhp.html comes with two batteries and AC/DC charger option. One of the most practical lights I own and extra batteries are only $20.

I have the Dereelight DBS and Jetbeam RRT-1 both know to be great throwers and this light will come very close to matching their throw and has the ability to spread it's beam as well.

Just anther idea that might work.

Wattnot

Enlightened
The Pilot Whale could be good for you, if that's what you want. The Explorer too but both of those are more flood than throw and I was just a little concerned that you might need more throw if you need to see something that far away all of the time.

Why not study some beamshots in the various reviews in the review section. Here is my review of the Pilot Whale:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/236315

If you like Wolf Eyes that much, check out the Storm. I've never met one in person but there are beamshots of it around and it too takes 3 18650 rechargeables. I believe it's more of a thrower than the Pilot Whale. You could also contact Mike at www.pts-flashlights.com and get his opinion.

Let us know how it turns out.

archerer

Newly Enlightened
You are probably right wattnot. I really am a rookie when it comes to lights. I do know that work had supplied me with a coast led and a dorcey and they have both allready stoped working on me. I want to get a decent light. What would be some more good choices for my application. I was also reading about the ra lights. I think that would be a tuff one from what I have read.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, lots of options for you.

I can tell you that I purchased a Pilot Whale (non-diving model) and I gave it to a good friend... it was, in my opinion, not that great of a light. Well-made, yes, but bulky and big and not that bright given the size and expectations. I also did not much like the somewhat greenish tinge on mine.

I would say that, depending on your needs, an EagleTac M2CX4 is an insanely great light that is well-warrantied and now, apparently, is water-resistant enough for your needs (there were some issues with water in the early models).

Also, if you can wait a little bit, 4sevens has some SERIOUS lights coming out soon (maybe just a few weeks for the first ones!!) that I think are going to be game changers! The line is called the Maelstrom and I think these will set a new standard... :popcorn: