Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Glow In The Dark .......... Cats

omg...w00t is the word of the year...
l337 speech is taking over!

Crenshaw

Empath

Flashaholic

I moved these posts to their own thread. They were clearly off-topic in the "glow-in-the-dark cats" thread.

Merriam-Webster, Inc. can pretend to be the voice of authority over what is English all they want, but w00t is not a word.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been trying, vainly, to find just any worthwhile use for such nonsense.

Well, perhaps if Shakespeare were alive today, Henry 5.0 might read:
And gentlemen in England, now a-bed,
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks W00t
That fought with us upon Saint Crispins's day.

And Leonardo da Vinci might exclaim now:
W00t! Got me a smokin' idea for a ten megapixel image of a smilin' chick.

Maybe I was just born too late.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the move Empath..
the definitive english dictionary is still oxford i think.Still, theres probably a dictionary of L337 speech out there somewhere...

would have liked, incredulous to be word of the year, which is what we are now...

Crenshaw

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast

I moved these posts to their own thread. They were clearly off-topic in the "glow-in-the-dark cats" thread.
If a GITD cat isn't w00t, I don't know what is. :p

1337speak doesn't bother me too much. I'm much more bothered by abbreviations on the net. You know, the idiots who spk lik dis. I can understand them in SMS messages, where you pay more if you go over 160 characters, but there is not one valid reason to use them when you have a 101-key keyboard.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
actly thr is a diff, it means you cn typ les, and there4 typ it in a shrtr time....:p

oh and i forgot, it IS actually 1337speak with the 1 and speak instead of speech...

Actually that took me ages to type, had to think of ways to shorten words :D still, some people just get so used to typing it short, it comes out wherever they are involved in composing anything sort of written stuff

Crenshaw

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
actly thr is a diff, it means you cn typ les, and there4 typ it in a shrtr time
Shorter time for you to type it, but much longer for me to decypher it and answer you (while swearing).

still, some people just get so used to typing it short, it comes out wherever they are involved in composing anything sort of written stuff
Yeah, those people should have someone behind them to stamp a shovel on their heads every time they do that. :mad:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shorter time for you to type it, but much longer for me to decypher it and answer you (while swearing).

Yeah, those people should have someone behind them to stamp a shovel on their heads every time they do that. :mad:
actually i dont type like that, like i said in that post..:nana:

TIP for when you have absolutely no other choice: Read whatever the abbreviated text is out loud, most of the time it will sound right....and im pretty sure the shovel thing is illegal...:whistle:

Crenshaw

PS: but yes, its irritating i totally agree

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
It took me over a year to find out what EDC meant (I was a lurker then). Now I have to learn a new language? Arrrrgh! Why can't cellphone companies put blackberry type keyboards on all their text messaging capable machines.

What is 1337? IEET or LEET still does not make sense to me.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast

From the link in the OP:

"Online gamers often replace numbers and symbols with letters to form what Merriam-Webster calls an "esoteric computer hacker language" known as "l33t speak." This translates into "leet," which is short for "elite."

A separate survey of words used in the media and on the Internet by California-based Global Language Monitor produced a different set of winners on Tuesday. "Hybrid" took top honors as word of the year with "climate change" the top phrase. "

It looks like the Rayovac Hybrid battery got top honors as a word of the year!? Me thinks they got their categories mixed up. Must be too much LSD. :whistle:

DM51

Flashaholic
w00t is:
1. The noise a Navy warship makes when sounding Genl. Quarters
2. The title of a thread by LuxLuthor.

Illum

Flashaholic
LEDninja said:

its kinda of a language reform used in online gaming....it all started with shorthands, then words become composed of symbols of slashes and dashes, from then on certain letters are paired with similar shaped numbers and voila....

Pimp
I#!mI#
p1Mp
[]D [] []V[] []D
|>!|\/||>

theres too much versions of l33T [L3eT...] to werk with
I some times just swap out numbers....

say "anyone know what w00t means in english?"
switching numbers just yields:"4ny0n3 kn0w wh47 w007 m34n5 in 3n61i5h?"
now....if we switch symbols and numbers it looks like [:shakehead:ohgeez:]
"4|\|`/0|\|3 |( |\|0\|/ \|/|-|4+ \|/00+ |\/|34|\|5 !|\| 3|\|61!5|-|?"
"4nj0n3 kn0\/\/ \/\/h47 \/\/007 m34n$ 1n 3ngl1$h?"

you get used to it after awhile, but its practically useless, plus it looks ridiculous if you or the guy whose typing writes in long paragraphs, If I want to encrypt something over the internet I rather have it in hex:)

Last edited: