World Cup Soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenLED

Flashaholic
barnabe said:
Gary Linecker said :
"Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.":whistle:
Not a chance, Brazil will whoop everybody's pattotie this time. (I go with Brazil just to p**s off all of my Argentian friends, and tell the Brazilians I root for Argentina) :crackup:

I really don't care much about fútbol, but I'll be cheering for Costa Rica this time. Maybe they'll get to the second round again. Like PEU, said, the whole country stops and holds its breath for 90+ minutes.

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened
barnabe said:
Gary Linecker said :
"Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.":whistle:

truly the words of a wise man :whistle: :nana:

I´m usually not a soccer fan, but every 4 years (2 years if you count the euro championship too) I make an exception :naughty: ...

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
After seeing ronaldinho play earlier today the UEFA champions league final, im not sure about Brazil... What a crappy game Barcelona played, even after they won, they played like newbies during the 1st 75mins of the game, scored twice and kept playing like crap. Maybe is because the Argentino Lionel Messi did not played for them due to an injury...

Again, VAAAMOS ARGENTINA CARAJOOOOOO :nana:

Pablo
PS: greenled cheering for Brazil... OMG... The horror, the horror :D

raggie33

*the raggedier*
wow peu like sooocer more then vi like football .good luck to ya team peu .ill try to find it on tv

tygger

Enlightened
i would be a little worried PEU. argentina has an unpredictable group. especially since Van Basten brought on lots of younger Ajax players. and there's always van nistelrooy (even though he's can be unpredictable). and never underestimate african teams (most of those guys play in europe during regular season). thats whats great about the world cup, you just never know.

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
Van Basten is about the only dutchman who didn't think Huntelaar should go.
The Netherlands are the country of 16 million football union coaches.
What he seems to have achieved is a far better spirit in the team, which I think is even more important than individual qualities, especially when things don't work out so well in the beginning. This has mostly been the case in recent tournaments.

Kees

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats correct, even with world class top players in our team, you never know... last world cup we were off in the 1st round :( I still can't digest that fact...

We're on the same group with the Dutch, Costa de Marfil and Serbia-Montenegro, if I have to choose the most feared rival, I would say... Costa de Marfil :nana:

The other day we knew our team list, its impressive, my bet is that we reach semifinals to say the least, but I would really love a final between Argentina & Brasil.

Pablo

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
If Argentina used green uniforms, I'd root for them :nana:

...esta barra no se deja... no se deja... :D

schrenz

Enlightened
DoubleDutch said:
The Netherlands are the country of 16 million football union coaches.

Kees
I know that, Germany has about 80million National-Coaches:ohgeez:
Excuse me, that I have forgotten to explain Linneckers sentence, I hope he still is right (but don't really believe:candle: ). We can live with everyone as world champion, except one team :whistle: .
Greets Jens

luigi

Enlightened
Another argentinian here so we are now a mass of crazy argentinians rooting for Argentina in CPF (if 2 is a mass)

I'm both a soccer and football hyper-mega-fanatic, I call the period when there is no NFL and no local soccer "The dark ages" since basically nothing can be done to keep the adenalyne levels that you need for normal living.
I'm a huuuuuge Green Bay Packers fan and huge Boca Jrs (recent champions here) fan.

About the World cup my boss has decided to send me to Lithuania for business in the middle of the World Cup I was close to just quit but suddenly I noticed my trip has a stop in Frankfurt, if you get news about a CPF member kidnapped in Germany or missing don't be scared it is me and I'm watching a WC match my family has been notified on my upcoming kidnapping incident.

We are going with a handicupped team this year, goalkeeper has no hands, our best striker can't make a goal in the arc of triumph and some of our best players have been just "forgotten" by our coach. We'll see what happens.

"Vamos vamos Argentinaaaaaaaaaa....."

Luigi

greenLED

Flashaholic
I just realized Costa Rica will be playing against Germany in the opening round. German team, prepare to be pulverized!!! :nana:

Topper

Flashaholic*
Off topic a little,
Eric recieved 3 Awards at school today---Rookie of the year--the Hustle Award and All Regional Award. First Freshmen to get 3 Awards and the most awards on the team :rock:
Oh Barcelona beat Arsenal 2-1---Just like Eric said they would. He is trying to get me to drive him to a Pro game in Oklahoma or Texas. Not sure about that.
Sorry but I wanted to bragg on my kid.
Topper :whistle:

dbedit

Newly Enlightened
I do not follow soccer at all. The problem is the only thing I know about soccer is you get a point if your team kicks it in the net while the other team try's to prevent it. There has to be more to it than that. Can some one enlighten me on the strategies, rules, ect on the game.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Congrats on your son's achievements, Topper!!

dbedit, that's pretty much it. There are far more entertaining sports out there, I don't know why people get so pationate about soccer. I just pick "the other guys" to mess with my friends; :devil: I've never really cared for soccer.

schrenz

Enlightened
:confused: :confused: :confused: Why are the Americans the only people in the whole world, don't understanding the real spirit of this game?

:buddies: although......greets from the world-cup-country

@luigi:I am able to kidnapp :knight: you, i'm living near frankfurt

greenLED

Flashaholic
schrenz said:
:confused: :confused: :confused: Why are the Americans the only people in the whole world, don't understanding the real spirit of this game?
FYI, there's a growing crowd of soccer fans in the US. Regardless, I'm not from the US, and I don't get it either.

Costa Rica is giving the day off to all public workers on the day of their first match, for example. With that (extreme, IMO) example in mind, why is that some people (and entire countries) are so pationate about it?

TorchMan

Enlightened
schrenz said:

:buddies: although......greets from the world-cup-country

@luigi:I am able to kidnapp :knight: you, i'm living near frankfurt

Hey, I'll take the holiday(s) if they want to make some official ones for it in this country. Of course my job wouldn't care anyway, as we get no holidays that don't fall on an off day anyway.

Soccer was nothing here when I was growing up, even though we had an indoor team that was (I believe) fairly successful. I know the world is crazy about it. I've even read that two nations had a short war over a soccer match in the decades past!

Trying to get into the sport simply failed for me. Hockey was the same. In fact I think of hockey as sort of soccer on ice. I'm not tryng to offend anyone here, it's just that soccer bores me. This doesn't mean I'm better or even right about it, just that it's not my thing. Surely there must be some people in soccer loving nations that don't care for it. Of course they probably would not admit that in public... :naughty:

My nephew played soccer and loved it. He doesn't play it now, and I'm not sure if he watches it. He's never liked baseball. The game is growing and catching on here in the U.S., especially among the younger generation. This country needs to win the World Cup or get very competive, that will accelerate things. A few more Brandy Chastain moments, if you will.

I service a lot of soccer bars here, and they pack the house to fire code capacity for many matches. There are no parking spaces to be found during some contests.

Again this is just my opinion, one that was asked about in the original post in this thread. No disrespect or hard feelings intended!

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because you grow playing futbol with your friends in the street, because even a stone a can or whatever can act as a ball and let you play, because at school in the free time you can make a ball out of a piece of paper and play, because its an excuse of not doing your homework.

And when you grow, because you talk with your friends, because on monday if you team won you are happy and can share the happyness with other friends of the same team also have a little fun on your friends from other teams that losed. Because even with a belly bigger than the futbol ball you can play it at the club or at the beach.

And because all this every 4 years you have an anxiety feeling that grows inverselly proportional to the days left for the 1st game, the 2nd game and on and on.

Almost an entire nation feels like this, and Im sure is the same in Brazil, Uruguay, Italy, Spain or many many other countries

I guess americans have the same feeling, but for different sports like football, baseball or basketball.

VAAAAMOS ARGENTINA CARAJOOOOOOO!

Pablo

k-2

Newly Enlightened
Nighthawk,

Fantastic thread start! I'm sure you started your thread with "does anyone care" knowing that most Americans don't, and the rest of the world does.

I personally don't. Soccer is the world's most popular game for one simple reason, and that is because it is so simple. dbedit does not need any enlightenment. He already completely understands the game. I am purposely calling soccer a game because it does not deserve to be called a sport. A sport to me signifies elevated athletic skill involved. Don't get me wrong. I've seen clips on ESPN on Renaldinho. Yes, he's an athlete. But take any good coordinated athlete and put them on a soccer field with the best in the world, and they will not look like a fool. Put them on a football field, baseball field, or basketball court with the best in the world (NFL, MLB, NBA), and they'll look like idiots.

I was going to say something about post-game Capri Sun and orange slices, but I'll leave that out. (Or did I?)

Just my 2 cents- not worth much, but trying to stir things up a bit.
evilgrin07.gif
rant.gif
touche.gif
lolsign.gif
nana.gif

k-2

Status
Not open for further replies.