Would you use a modern flashlight in a reasonably rough job or not? CONCRETE BELOW!!!

jomox

Newly Enlightened
I abuse lights like crazy, not purposely it just happens.

I use to have a mag lite years ago was great, but then I went years using cheapo lights from ebay, none branded ones falsely advertised. Every single one of them broke in one way or another, and most had multiple things go wrong with them. They could not handle being used most nights throughout the whole year. No decent warranty meant I had to repair them my self, sometimes fighting a lost cause. Being in the UK when its mostly wet / cold obviously exposed these cheaper lights more, they never could handle it.

In the end I had enough and found this place. Now I am buying quality branded lights, however I am not going to be nice to the light just because I paid more money for it and it's much better quality. Now that I am spending more money I expect these lights to be able to take some abuse and heavy usage,. Any lights that can't withstand the heavy use will obviously be taken to warranty and that brand will go further down my list and I'll stick with the most durable brand with the best warranty / support (If anything does go wrong)

On the first days of having my D25A2 it already had gathered a number of scratches, and taken some abuse, needless to say it takes it without any hassle and that's what I'll expect from now one, with these well built manufacturer lights.

I am not a collector, I use the light for a purpose and it needs to withstand that.

PS:

I really don't like the big font and bolded stuff either, it looks very childish.

SeanHatfield

Newly Enlightened
Actually i thought a drop on concrete is worse for incandescent flashlights than for LED ones, because the filament does easily brake when white-hot and accelerated from a drop on concrete.
LED flashlights don't have that problem. So if a drop kills your new LED flashlight, an incan one would most probably have died, too.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at this Elzetta torture test video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ozstdsnHNs

It ain't afraid of no silly little drop.

That is some flashlight alright.

It gets roughly the same abuse that the Olight M20 receives in the Torture Test video that I talked about in one of my posts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6WSPKuunCI

How do you think my Fenix TK75 would be after after any of those tests?

I know already what you might say.

It just wouldn't.

I started this thread to get some comments to find out just why they bought their lights and what they intended to do with their purchases if put to an actual use rather than just be "shelf queens" and also whether those chosen flashlights lived up to their expectations.

There are some lights that are especially made to take such abuse but usually the buyer has to be prepared to pay a higher price for this kind of quality workmanship and materials.

CHEERS

langham

Enlightened
Other than the ridiculous discussions on format, this is pretty interesting. I always wondered how people could spend so much on a flashlight and still be ok with actually using it, I guess the answer is that not all people are ok with using them. My most expensive light is the TN31 and the reasons that I will not be using it a whole heck of a lot is due to the fact that it is huge not that it is fragile. I have a lot of cheap budget lights that I use frequently and have used for several years. I was stationed on a submarine for 4 years and everything on a submarine is some form of steel, I dropped my lights several times from great distances almost always ending up in standing water/oil. That is just how it goes I guess, the only time I worried was when the light used a bulb. My EDC is a Eastward YJ body with an XM-L T6 mounted on copper and 8xAMC7135(3.04A)(selectable) Mode Driver from illumination supply. It has large chunks missing from it as well as wear from just taking it out of its holster and placing it back in, but over all it has performed very well and looks great. I have no doubt that a shotgun blast would kill it, but I wouldn't do that. I think we are getting away from the point of being a flashaholic if we are afraid to use out favorite lights, because the price was too high, if you are that worried about it just get one with a warranty.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually i thought a drop on concrete is worse for incandescent flashlights than for LED ones, because the filament does easily brake when white-hot and accelerated from a drop on concrete.
LED flashlights don't have that problem. So if a drop kills your new LED flashlight, an incan one would most probably have died, too.

You are right in saying that incandescent lights have that weakness.

You can buy incandescent light bulbs that are designed to be used in a harsher environment than a standard light bulb.

They usually have a heavier duty filament that is usually doubled coiled and supported better than a standard bulb design.

The heavy duty design is only meant to improve the lifetime of the bulb when used in an area where it has to be able to work with in an environment where heavy vibrations would normally rattle the filament to the point it where it would fail well before the stated lifetime of a standard bulb.

The environment I am talking about is usually to be found where incandescent lights are mounted on machinery, vehicles or production lines that produce heavy vibrations when running.

You would still not be able to drop it or hit it with much force as the glass envelope surrounding the filament would shatter very easily just the same as with the standard bulb.

What I am more concerned with in this thread is finding out what outcome there would be to the other parts of the light apart from the LED if any of these torture tests were done on an LED flashlight similar to a fairly expensive and larger sized flashlight like my TK75 just as an example.

An LED can handle a lot harsher treatment than an incandescent lamp ever could by the sheer nature of what it is constructed of.

I am not picking on any brand or light in particular.

I just had that thought when I returned back home after I had been using my TK75 for a walk around the block late at night recently.

CHEERS

TEEJ

Flashaholic
As someone who does use lights as a tool, and who does (accidentally) drop/dunk them from time to time...I can say that the ones that I use for work are in fact tough enough to do the jobs they have.

I sometimes THROW my Klarus XT11 onto the ground (Concrete, pavement, whatever) to make a point when asked about durability, but, that's about the only one I abuse on purpose.

I do have different expectations based upon the size of the lights as well:

An ant can survive a fall that might kill a wolf, but that doesn't make an ant tougher than a wolf per se...its just physics.

A larger, heavier light will simply hit harder when it lands...and a larger diameter tube will be weaker, for a given wall thickness, against getting dented in, and the longer tube will bend more easily for the same wall thickness, and so forth.

A P60 sized light will simply be ABLE to withstand more abuse than a TK75 sized light unless its wall thicknesses and thread overlap areas, and other reinforcements are made, GREATLY increasing a light's weight, and cost.

Now, SOME P60 sized lights simply have thin walls, poorly anchored or protected electronics, poor switch quality, etc....and CAN'T take abuse.

Some I tried as weapon lights literally fly into pieces when cycled with a pump gun's recoil...they are just not tough enough. Some have insufficient spring tension/damping, and the recoil turns the cell inside into a reciprocating jack hammer that whacks the crap out of the light's guts, etc.

Some lights fall on the ground and never light again...things get torqued inside, and its all over.

So, for any given size, a smaller light can be tougher than a larger light with the same construction...but the stuff that separates the men from the toys are the way stuff is attached, wall thicknesses, thread overlaps, cell chamber design, bezel/head design, switch quality, etc.

The larger the light, the LESS abuse I expect it to be ABLE to sustain, given the physics involved.

LED lights, again due to physics, tend to be able to take more than their incan brethren.

I've dropped mags, enough to use up the spare bulbs they typically had stored in the tails.

:D

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
My surefire l1 sure has gone through many abuse without fail :)

Once you have passed through that first ding/scratch/drop, its all good :)

You have a flashlight that does not warrant any real concerns when using it as you picked a very good and well established brand to begin with.

I have one of those as well and it really does look like it can take a real beating.

Many of the smaller Surefire flashlights are nearly as expensive as the much bigger lights similar to my TK75 such as the Fenix TK70, Olight SR95, Thrunite TN31 and my Lambda Varapower lights.

You really do get what you pay for with Surefire lights just as you would in buying Malkoff and HDS flashlights.

They are well proven from many years of research, design upgrades and just plain listening to their customer's feedback.

CHEERS

Last edited:

naiter

Newly Enlightened
nice to see most of us abuse out lights. for some reason i thought it'd be other way around. just goes to show that flashaholics are "do-ers" i remember when i first got my SOG trident i had to try to excessively use and get it to a nice 'worn' look as fast as possible.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
im pissed at you twl... no i have to get another light. seriously?? i thought i was done.

I am in the same boat as naiter on this one.

I don't know how this light escaped my attention.

It is a fairly expensive flashlight but you can see where the money goes in buying this flashlight as can be seen in the torture test video.

I wonder how many manufacturers would do this level of testing on a video for all of their lights.

Not many I would guess.

I might have to buy this light now and actually use it just like I have done with my Olight M20 that is in the link that I posted in this thread.

Link to Olight M20 torture test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6WSPKuunCI

CHEERS

naiter

Newly Enlightened
Nice Video!! I like the Ice/Boiling water, 70ft seawater, shotgun blast, 3 or 4 floor drop! Makes me respect Olight even more!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Four posts have been deleted, the reasons provided are as follows:

Off-topic / Rules discussion

Furthermore, CPF Staff reserves the right to edit and/or delete posts which contain text formatting that is counterproductive to the orderly presentation and discussion of forum topics.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
:)

Last edited:

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
I am a union sheet metal worker (small engine mechanic when out of work) and I weld on the job, I have even used my Solarforce L2' bezel to chip slag lol, you would probably puke if saw what some of my lights go through.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw somewhere on here where a guy did the same things to his Zebra I think?

I also work with tools every day and consider all of my lights as another tool to use as needed,I don't think I want any that I am afraid to use?
I like my HDS lights the best I think and beat the heck out of them since I have gotten them,just the way it works out.
I do have one that is Cerkoted and I am convinced it will look the worst the fastest but it just is what they are designed to do.

I have been using the Fenix the longest ,aside from the Maglites probably and can not seem to keep the clips on them but they have survived without incident anything I have done to them. I recently have been abusing the Zebralights and really find the size and output very handy and they seem well built as well.
Today I got the Predator and I just know this will be with me when camping from now on where it could easily get abused the worst from me!

I guess I don't consider myself a collector except maybe of tools.

Ed

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am under the impression that most of these higher end, production lights that cost between say, $34-$350 are, if anything, stronger and tougher than Maglights. Or at least as strong and tough as Maglights. One thing's for sure, most of them are thicker than Maglights!

I am like you in that I tend to baby most of my lights, and I'd cringe at the thought of dropping most of my lights onto concrete or rocks or whatever, mainly because I dont want dings and scratches on them. But I think I also have this subconscious desire to be overly protective of nice things because I used to abuse most of my belongings when I was 1-24 years old! So I felt bad about abusing stuff when I was younger, so now I take extra special care of many things.

But the one light I do use and occasionally drop is my Jetbeam BC-10. I carry it everyday in my pocket, with my keys up against it, and have been carrying it for about 15 months now. But its the only light that EVER goes in my pocket with my keys for any length of time, and its certainly the only light that I have ever dropped onto concrete! Its been dropped a few times, and I've never had a problem with it. In fact, more than once I have grabbed for my car keys and pulled them out, and the BC-10's lanyard gets stuck in my keys, then I end up flinging the BC-10 up into the air, and then hits the asphalt or concrete hard from over 2 meters up.

Still works, and with only a few little dings on the head(because it always lands on the head every time for some reason!)

Divine_Madcat

Newly Enlightened
I can't speak for others, but i won't buy a flashlight if i feel i can't beat the crap out of it. I won't buy a no waterproof light, and every light i buy gets a water submersion test as soon as it is in my hands. After that, i beat it around, and make sure it can handle daily use and rigors. Lets face it, if it will break, i want to break it BEFORE it is too late, not when i will need it the most.

tam17

Enlightened
I don't keep any shelf queens, but I also try to use my flashlights in a way electronic devices are supposed to be used. Some of them have worn anodizing and visible dents, some have been accidentally dropped on tiles and concrete but none stopped working upon impact.

If I needed a flashlight specifically for a tough job (highly probable drops and other serious bashing), I'd buy something cheaper and torture-tested (e.g. Varta/Rayovac Indestructible).

Cheers

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will change for a little while and see how it goes just for you and others.

CHEERS

Honestly, I dont see why a couple people(just a couple) are getting bent out of shape over font size! That seems more ridiculous to me than the font size! Really, the size of letters makes you angry enough to devote a whole rude post to it? Hmmm... I wouldnt let any of that bother you. Its actually very rare here to be honest, but anyone who has spent any time on any forum will tell you, there are always going to be those people out there just looking for a reason to act up....

Anyway, I would agree with a few of the posters who said that the larger, heavier lights with more LED's will probably be less likely to hold up to being dropped a lot, and more likely to suffer damage. Whereas the smaller lights(EDC sized) are more likely to be able to survive drops and abuse if made well.