Wow, why in the world do you carry a flashlight with you?

drfiehlgood

Newly Enlightened
Re: Why do you EDC a light?

The day I forget to carry my light or my knife is the day I need it. So now I carry them everywhere all the time.

jere

Newly Enlightened

I bought a cheap but tiny 10 lumen energizer button key chain light just on a whim. Its been a few years and I have upgraded to a 18650 generic Cree XML that was like $6. The amount of things to use the light for keeps growing ever day. The light is bright enough to use as a laser pointer, and works as a back up for spotting addresses in the taxi if the big light needs a recharge. The big light 3 Cree xml 6 d mag is also good for controlling the wackos that pop up on a nightly basis. Its great for handyman tikerer shady tree mechanic stuff that I am always into also.

And then a trick when you are trying to find something small or something in a cluttered room, kill the room lights and search with just the square of the pocket light to concentrate your focus.

Last edited:

darktort

Banned

I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it,so get ready

SwissJim

Newly Enlightened

Don't truly feel addicted, but my reasons feel more philosophical. I have always been fascinated by light and darkness. Light equates to reason and intelligence. I fight the Dark Ages with my light, and that includes a few big ones. They make me smile in the backyard and give me peace knowing they are there. I guess I just like them. (Lasers too, I must admit!) Jim in Vermont

LGT

Enlightened

Don't truly feel addicted, but my reasons feel more philosophical. I have always been fascinated by light and darkness. Light equates to reason and intelligence. I fight the Dark Ages with my light, and that includes a few big ones. They make me smile in the backyard and give me peace knowing they are there. I guess I just like them. (Lasers too, I must admit!) Jim in Vermont
This could very well be the most obscure post I've ever read.

SwissJim

Newly Enlightened

Why obscure. I'm not a cop, and I don't drive a taxi. I use my lights once or twice a year. Not very exciting I guess. But I still own them, even though opposed to materialism and shopaholics. I think many suffer from "affluenza." Yet I love my lights and they bring me joy. Thus, my reason for EDC. Clearer???

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cash. All the bars in NYC were cash-only that night and I had none. I now keep $100 bill tucked somewhere in my wallet at all times.

I really liked that blackout. i wasn't in the city but in the suburbs. it was nice, people were just out bbqin' whatever in their fridge. felt cozy, like a neighborhood camping party. no distractions of technology.
I can imagine the city being one huge party during the time.

EDIT:
to stay on topic,
because it's attached to my keychain. actually i quite like the look of my edc light. the same reason i wear a mechanical watch, it's sort of emotional.

Last edited:

BloodLust

Enlightened

I've always liked playing with lights since I was a kid.
To read in the dark, play in the garden. Look for things that roll under tables and beds.

What really pushed me to EDC a good light was when I was caught in a blackout in a level 3 basement parking. Cell phones back then had only the green lit lcds and no flashlight function and I only had a Maglite Solitaire which really didn't do much then.

After that, I invested in my first "high power" light, a Surefire G2, then move to LED with a Fenix P1D-CE.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

I really liked that blackout. i wasn't in the city but in the suburbs. it was nice, people were just out bbqin' whatever in their fridge. felt cozy, like a neighborhood camping party. no distractions of technology.
I can imagine the city being one huge party during the time.

Wikipedia's account:

.....While some commuters were able to find alternate sleeping arrangements, many were left stranded in New York and slept in parks and on the steps of public buildings. While practically all businesses and retail establishments closed down, many bars and pubs reported a brisk business as many New Yorkers took the opportunity to spend the evening "enjoying" the blackout. Since most perishable items were going to spoil anyway, many restaurants and citizens simply prepared what they could and served it to anyone who wanted it, leading to vast block parties in many New York City neighborhoods. Any ice cream in frozen storage also had to be quickly served to any and all passers by....

It was kind of fun in the city at the time, course it would have been a whole different story had the Blackout continued for a few more days. I started packing rollerblades in my office after that one. 30 miles home, no biggy if you can get out early enough.

funkychateau

Enlightened

My near vision has gotten bad enough (I'll be 60 in 2 months) that I need a little bit of light to read some menus in dark restaurants. Likewise score sheets for my billiard leagues when we play in dark bars. Plus, I'm always losing something underneath the seat of my car, etc. And sometimes I park in back and don't want to step on an ant hill (or dog turd) walking around the house. Once you carry the light for necessity, you find lots of reasons why it's handy. I'm never without my Fenix LD01 stainless.

fridgemagnet

Newly Enlightened

I live in the countryside, where there are no streetlights. My nearest neighbour is half a mile away, and I walk everywhere.
Also my flashlight helps me find things I have dropped, peer into the workings of my laptop, lights up the barn...it's generally useful, and if I don't carry it, I end up wishing that I had carried it.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast

I live in the countryside, where there are no streetlights. My nearest neighbour is half a mile away, and I walk everywhere.
Also my flashlight helps me find things I have dropped, peer into the workings of my laptop, lights up the barn...it's generally useful, and if I don't carry it, I end up wishing that I had carried it.

Do you also carry a gun with you?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Why do I carry an EDC flashlight? Cause it is fun, and I like to give my lights a workout, and switch around different lights, sometimes carrying three lights. It is one of my hobbies. :naughty:

Bill

callmaster

Enlightened

Why do I carry an EDC flashlight? Cause it is fun, and I like to give my lights a workout, and switch around different lights, sometimes carrying three lights. It is one of my hobbies. :naughty:

Bill

Only sometimes Bill?

fishsticks

Newly Enlightened

I'm a maintenance man at a hospital, most of the patient rooms that I have to work in are dark.

CPF21

Newly Enlightened

Because nutnfancy said so...:duh2:

I use it mostly for checking tire pressure at night, that's why my edc preference is light and small.

billgood

Newly Enlightened

I work the night shift so on my days off it tends to be dark most of the time when I'm up so a flashlight is a must. I have a maratac on my Keychain and I can't live withough one now.

PTN

Newly Enlightened

i work third shift inspecting highway work. need my xt11 all the time.

LanWolf

Newly Enlightened

As sysadmin sometimes you have to enter the dark dungeons when the power goes out... to shut down systems before ups does it all at once....
(No light there connected to the ups :) )
And when craving under desks to get by the power outlet or find the end of the cable, have a look for something fallen on the dark floor, stir my martini, find the screw in the case, etc.
;)