Wow, why in the world do you carry a flashlight with you?

The Bossman

Newly Enlightened
I've gotten so OCD that I only buy pants that have a side leg pocket for my light and knife. I am constantly on the hunt for carpenter jeans/work pants that have these pockets.
the unprepared masses will never understand.

The Bossman

jfwalker

Newly Enlightened
I spend a lot of time in Central America, and power is iffy at times. The first time the power went out, I pulled out my light and lit up the living room while others were stumbling around searching for candles and flashlights without dead batteries. When they saw that I had a light, they said, "Why do you have a flashlight?" I was speechless.

C.M.S

Newly Enlightened
Always carried a knife , just recently I now carry a flashlight :thumbsup:
Soon I will have battery powered lanterns for the home . To many times I've needed light when light was needed ..

wjv

Enlightened
Live in an eartquake zone.

Can see an active volcano from my bedroom window (Mt St Helen)

During the winter in the Pacific NW, it's dark from 5pm-8am. Plus it's usually very cloudy.

I prefer the dark, and hate running a 1,000 watts of interior lighting when a 10 lumen light works just as well.

I live in a semi-rural area so flashlights are a must when walking the dog or checking the property.

My barn does not have any electricity so at night it's BYOL (Bring Your Own Lighting)

I use my lights 10-20 times per day.

herman30

Newly Enlightened
... others were stumbling around searching for candles and flashlights without dead batteries. When they saw that I had a light, they said, "Why do you have a flashlight?"
You should´ve just turned off your light, let them keep on stumbling in the dark and said: "that´s why."

Wildernesstech

Newly Enlightened
While living in the US Virgin Islands, where the electricity goes out on a regular basis, we were at a dinner with live entertainment when the lights went out! No one missed a beat... The band kept playing, and the many of us that lived there all reached into pockets, purses, and backpacks for our everyday carry lights and proceeded to illuminate the woman singing. It was one of those moments that the locals all came together, and one that is a special memory of our years in the Islands. Another great reason to always carry a light... or two... or three!

arcticscythe

Newly Enlightened
I work in IT, but working for a small company means doing way more than riding a desk. I spend alot of my time in server rooms, under computer desks, and with my head buried in workstations. Since I was about 10 I always carried a leather man multi-tool with a mini-mag attached to the side of the case. Living in SoCal we get the occasional earthquake and I have always been more comfortable knowing that I was prepared. As I grew up I started carrying my tools and bigger lights in backpacks and carrying a surefire in my front left pocket. When I walk out the door in the morning I check my left pocket for my light and my right pocket for my knife.

I do not leave home without a light in my front left pocket.

J

CaptainPicard

Newly Enlightened
Use it everyday when someone drops something under a bus seat or somewhere they can't see it. People have learned to respect it after I let them fumble around for a while.

I also got my dad into edcing a light earlier this year. He doesn't see how he managed without it.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

roberts0909

Newly Enlightened
I'm almost never without a flashlight. I carry an OLight i3 on my keychain and have other lights stashed around the house. It's surprising how much you use a light when you have it. :)

Brunberg

Newly Enlightened
During the winter in the Pacific NW, it's dark from 5pm-8am. Plus it's usually very cloudy.

Plenty of light then!

Sunrise 9:29. sunset 15:27. length of daytime 5 h 58 min, southern Finland. At north, the sun does not even come above horizon. I have to use my lamp at morning and afternoon when going to work and back home.

Last edited:

NotSoBrightBob

Newly Enlightened
I don't need a light alot in my line of work but I always have one so at the office or at home when somebody needs some illumination I almost break an arm quickly reaching for my light then hoping I remember the UI of my current EDC so nobody is temporarily blinded with 1000 lumens to look under desk or something :oops:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't need a light alot in my line of work but I always have one so at the office or at home when somebody needs some illumination I almost break an arm quickly reaching for my light then hoping I remember the UI of my current EDC so nobody is temporarily blinded with 1000 lumens to look under desk or something :oops:
I was doing my monthly check of all my lights to make sure everything was ok and charged up. I spent ten minutes trying to remember how to turn on beacon mode in my TM11 before giving up. I remembered latter that the TM11 doesn't have a beacon mode! LOL

Jaegerbomb

Newly Enlightened
Had a friend up at the house at the weekend for a few drinks...
Was showing him my new EDC, the Spark SF3-NW, and of course he has the usual laugh and 'Why would you need a light on you all the time?'....
I tried to explain that I use it to look in the boot of the car, to look in drawers, when I walk the dog in the evening and have to clean up after him, there are a million uses to why I have my light, and 1 reason... to light up things that I need light on...

He works in IT (maintenance and repair work), so I said surely he would have plenty of uses for a light... to which he responded... "but sure I would always have my phone on me and that has a light on it"... /facepalm...

Some people don't seem to get it... but now that I carry a light with me all the time, I wonder why I never did before...

Anybodysguess

Newly Enlightened
I used to be in the "flashlight on my phone" boat. But sometimes I needed it for longer periods of time and you can literally watch the battery percentage tick down, a phone battery was not made to sustain a light. And now that I have a even more accessible convenient edc light, I use it all the time.

warmurf

Enlightened
Don't really need it for work but there would be something that happens at least once every second day where you need some extra light. During winter on getting home- my three kids love flashlights- I have one acre so going around the block at night- spotting animals at night- using it instead of house lights is always fun. The list can go on and on. But yes, you do get funny looks from people, even when your flashlight got them out of trouble! These days I feel naked without carrying at least 1 light. 3 is my preferred load out. To me it's practical and makes great sense. If one of us could successfully market the ideas to the masses, you'd make a fortune.

Anybodysguess

Newly Enlightened
I don't understand the amount of members that say they get funny looks/remarks because they carry a light. Where I live (Florida, but not the beach) I'd say 1 in 10, maybe more, carry a flashlight. Its not uncommon. I've never had anyone even think twice about my carrying a flashlight. Maybe its because of hurricanes/bad thunderstorms that knock power out for extended periods.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I don't understand the amount of members that say they get funny looks/remarks because they carry a light. Where I live (Florida, but not the beach) I'd say 1 in 10, maybe more, carry a flashlight. Its not uncommon. I've never had anyone even think twice about my carrying a flashlight. Maybe its because of hurricanes/bad thunderstorms that knock power out for extended periods.

I live in Manhattan. It's VERY rare to have a power outage of any kind. And even when a situation like Hurricane Sandy occurs people largely have their power back within a day or two, if not hours. Their iPhone lights were "enough." You would be surprised how many people don't even have a working flashlight in their house! It's a false sense of security if I've ever seen one. At a bare minimum I have a 1xAAA light with me, and almost always have my Eagletac D25a with me.

In the 15 years I have been in Manhattan, I only had to use my flashlights once for a power outage, which lasted about a day and a half. And back then they were crappy incandescent lights! That being said, I still usually carry two lights on me, and one is always a common battery type....just in case....

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in Manhattan. It's VERY rare to have a power outage of any kind. And even when a situation like Hurricane Sandy occurs people largely have their power back within a day or two, if not hours. Their iPhone lights were "enough." You would be surprised how many people don't even have a working flashlight in their house! It's a false sense of security if I've ever seen one. At a bare minimum I have a 1xAAA light with me, and almost always have my Eagletac D25a with me.

In the 15 years I have been in Manhattan, I only had to use my flashlights once for a power outage, which lasted about a day and a half. And back then they were crappy incandescent lights! That being said, I still usually carry two lights on me, and one is always a common battery type....just in case....

I lived in Manhattan for 14 years. The philosophy there is it will never happen to me. Yet, a large part of the population travels daily underground in the subways. Not the brightest bulbs.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I use a flashlight for a dozen different reasons every day. In a blackout I rarely use a flashlight at all! I use lanterns.

Latest posts