Wow, why in the world do you carry a flashlight with you?

neonnoun

Newly Enlightened
I guess I'm the only one that doesn't (carry a flashlight). I don't carry a knife or a pen or a watch. Heck, most hours I don't even carry a phone or my wallet. But I do love flashlights...particularly when biking.

BTW, I'm an Oregonian (where the chance of rain exceeds the chance of darkness most days) and I don't even have an umbrella. All the Oregonians who carry umbrellas are transplants. The rest of us have Gore-Tex or are used to getting wet. :D

bazguitarman

Newly Enlightened
I never leave the house without my Olight T10, a good knife and cell phone in my pockets. Never.

When asked why I always carry a light or knife, I reply that I prefer to be one of the few who is prepared. Rather than one of the many who are not, and then are forced to rely on those few who are prepared.

Then I ask the person how they feel about themselves, knowing they will always have to rely on others to take care of them and their loved ones. That usually stops the conversation cold.

luceat lux vestra

Enlightened
Why do I carry a flashlight? Because a candle and matches:candle: are a pain in the butt!:whoopin:

Last edited:

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't remember why I stumbled into CPF, but it was the start. At first I was amazed at the model numbers/letters discussed by everyone. That led to me to my first light, the TK41, then a C9000/LSD cells for it. More CPF. Then I bought these 2 lights (SC600/XT11), and, of course, the Pila IBC for the two 18650 lights. Some more CPF. Then someone was selling a brand-new TK70 at a good price, so I got it too, but alas, no charger for the D cells that power the 70, so I got an iCharger/LSD for it. I had an extra AA cell, so a cousin bought me an LD12. All the time these things are kept in a special case for them not to get scratched!

Then one day we went to a mountain lodge and I have to use the restroom because of a bum stomach. Although it was daytime the restroom has no window,and there was no power! I can't even see my own hand in front of my face! All these bright lights/chargers/cell combinations and no light when I need it most? This is crazier than craziest!!!!

That started my EDC story...

Last edited:

Southpaw1925

Newly Enlightened
As I said in my introduction, I work nights in a facility housing minors. A lot of them are troubled, thus sometimes spend their night running around the facility or even leaving the facility without permission. Having a flashlight is a must bc they have to be monitored at times and their whereabouts is number one due to safety issues.

One of the many occasions, I was taking a break in an area of the facility where there are tables. All of a sudden I hear a noise behind me and just to my peripheral vision, I see a minor running towards a fence I was assuming he was going to climb and escape. By the time I noticed him, he was a good 100 yards. I quickly shined my flashlight directly towards him and boom! He quickly turns around with this deer on headlights look to him and froze. I quickly stood up and ran towards him as he was still frozen he was caught. Long story short, the next day I see him, I asked why he froze (as a lot of them ignore and AWOL anyway). He said he thought it was the cops bc the light was so bright, and he was afraid of cops. Lol!!

Love my flashlight!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
As I said in my introduction, I work nights in a facility housing minors. A lot of them are troubled, thus sometimes spend their night running around the facility or even leaving the facility without permission. Having a flashlight is a must bc they have to be monitored at times and their whereabouts is number one due to safety issues.

One of the many occasions, I was taking a break in an area of the facility where there are tables. All of a sudden I hear a noise behind me and just to my peripheral vision, I see a minor running towards a fence I was assuming he was going to climb and escape. By the time I noticed him, he was a good 100 yards. I quickly shined my flashlight directly towards him and boom! He quickly turns around with this deer on headlights look to him and froze. I quickly stood up and ran towards him as he was still frozen he was caught. Long story short, the next day I see him, I asked why he froze (as a lot of them ignore and AWOL anyway). He said he thought it was the cops bc the light was so bright, and he was afraid of cops. Lol!!

Love my flashlight!

Yeah, I see that too. A bright light does make perps "feel caught". I think its that sense of vulnerability one gets when you know you can't see them, but they can see you....it makes them pause if not freeze when they can't see, as they don't know what YOUR intentions are/what would happen if they tried to run, etc.

ColdZero

Newly Enlightened
The OP is a very good question,
i usually carry a little hand held because a lot of the guys I know are to dumb to
bring there own ...
the last BBQ I was at a fella got out his minimag to find hid dropped keys .... I switch on my zebra and he jumps up with a .... WTF ... I had to laugh !

luceat lux vestra

Enlightened
The OP is a very good question,
i usually carry a little hand held because a lot of the guys I know are to dumb to
bring there own ...
the last BBQ I was at a fella got out his minimag to find hid dropped keys .... I switch on my zebra and he jumps up with a .... WTF ... I had to laugh !

I do that all the time at a knife store, "what model did you want to see arg"......

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
For when I NYC EDC my Klarus XT11 I say: "It's a tool for seeing, for deterrenc."

2ujthd0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do I carry a flashlight?
Because it comes in handy!

Seriously, even on a bright day there are dark corners that I sometimes need to see into - most commonly under a desk and inside a computer can be very dark. Are those capacitors bulging up, is that heatsink totally clogged with dust, is that fan spinning? All these questions can be answered by looking while shining a light in the right place.

You know how a cat is able to see in almost total darkness?
Well I don't have that ability!

Why do I carry a light?
For the same reason that I carry this SAK & this Multi-Tool - sometimes I have a need of these useful tools!

bluemax_1

Enlightened
It always amazes me how unprepared some folks are. It also amazes me that anyone would actually ASK that question IN a situation where the answer is obvious, like asking why you carry a flashlight when you pull one out in the darkness. I can understand a, "You carry a flashlight with you? Well isn't that convenient under the circumstances?", but questioning someone else's preparedness when the proof of its utility is evident just seems stupid.

I've had a watch on my wrist constantly since I was ~5-6 (I'm one of those that wears one almost 24/7 except in the shower. Yes, I'm one of those folks who sleeps with a watch on). Been carrying a SAK (Swiss Army Knife) of one size or another since I was about 10 (been EDC'ing a Swiss Champ XLT since that debuted, Swiss Champ for years before that, and smaller models before the SwissChamp). First started EDC'ing a light when the Solitaire debuted. Moved to a Photon button-cell LED when those came out, then to a Surefire 1xCR123 incan (this was before LEDs with decent output were available).

Just replaced my Fenix L2D R100 head on 1xAA body with a Quark QPA-G2 running a 14500 as my EDC light. I EDC it and use a flashlight every single day, even in the daytime, because sometimes you have to look at something indoors where the regular lighting doesn't reach too well.

I must be around different types of folks though, because I rarely ever (can't recall the last time) have someone ask me WHY I carry something when I pull it out to use it. I do occasionally get the, "Wow, you carry a flashlight on you?", as well as the, "Wow, that little thing is bright!", or "Dang, that's a big Swiss Army knife! Bet it's got just about everything doesn't it?", but not a, "Why do you carry XXXX?" when I'm obviously using it.

The flashlight has been invaluable numerous times with power outages, blown bulbs or just needing to light up something that is poorly lit (yep, like the back of a computer under a desk). The knife always comes in handy, and yes, for me, the XLT has benefits aside from impressing folks with its size. I've used the multiple bit driver on it numerous times, including on equipment needing Torx bits, which NO ONE usually has handy. Don't EDC a pen because I don't need to write much that often, but if I do, the SAK has a pen. Don't tend to EDC a 2nd light these days because I always have my phone on me and the LED lights on those are at least as good as (actually better than) a button-cell keychain light.

The most common comment I get from folks who know me, when I pull out any of my EDC items is, "Of course, you would have that with you".

Semper Peratus is better than numquam peratus.

Max

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
It always amazes me how unprepared some folks are. It also amazes me that anyone would actually ASK that question IN a situation where the answer is obvious, like asking why you carry a flashlight when you pull one out in the darkness. I can understand a, "You carry a flashlight with you? Well isn't that convenient under the circumstances?", but questioning someone else's preparedness when the proof of its utility is evident just seems stupid.
I suspect this kind of reaction can be many things and is not quite what it seems on the surface. There is the surprise of finding oneself in such a situation unexpectedly. There can be an aspect of alienation that someone else thought to have some planned means of dealing with it or a defensive reaction to their lack of preparedness. It could also be jealousy that the other is prepared and they are not - perhaps a role reversal for them.

If you really want to see how people react to individual preparedness to the unexpected, look at the reaction that concealed handgun license holders can get...

bluemax_1

Enlightened
I suspect this kind of reaction can be many things and is not quite what it seems on the surface. There is the surprise of finding oneself in such a situation unexpectedly. There can be an aspect of alienation that someone else thought to have some planned means of dealing with it or a defensive reaction to their lack of preparedness. It could also be jealousy that the other is prepared and they are not - perhaps a role reversal for them.

If you really want to see how people react to individual preparedness to the unexpected, look at the reaction that concealed handgun license holders can get...
Good points.

As for the CCW's, like I said, I must travel in different circles, because a lot of folks I know either have one, or are planning to get one. The only times I see negative reactions, are from anti firearm types, so it's not just that someone has one on/with them, it's the fact that they have a firearm at all AND have one in the anti-firearm advocate's presence. I don't really know anyone who has firearms BUT is against concealed carry. The ones to worry about are the ones who are carrying concealed WITHOUT permits.

Max

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful. NYPD officers tend to shoot innocent people for thinking someone may have a firearm. Based on the most recent killing yesterday, I could see some NYPD officer shoot you for having a flashlight. No kidding.

For when I NYC EDC my Klarus XT11 I say: "It's a tool for seeing, for deterrence."

2ujthd0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sikreto

Newly Enlightened
Question: "Wow, why in the world do you carry a flashlight with you?"
Answer: "What are you talking about? Did I lose two flashlights?"

LOL

Question: "Wow, why in the world do you carry a flashlight with you?"
Answer: "So that when I say, "Let there be light!", there will actually be a light."