WTB not sure where to start

mindzipper

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, i'm new to this whole realm.

I'm trying to replace all my lights in my home with LED lights.

the problem is I have a work room that requires very fine detail views. So i have been using 300w incandescent bulbs. Now I already realize my chance of finding 300w equivalent in led with a medium base are next to nothing. But maybe someone knows where I could find something that can replace a 200w bulb?

Sorry if this isn't the right area, i looked and this seemed to be the most related forum

frank70

Newly Enlightened
Well, maybe screw three of these http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...t-Lamp-Holder-Adapter-R52-00128-00W/100356967 together and put in four 800 (or more) lumen LED bulbs of your desired color temperature (3000K might match your incandescent bulb.) It may look a little weird but will give you 3200 (or more) lumens without trying to find an expensive high output bulb that probably won't last due to excess heat. Or you could use one Y adapter with two 1600 lumen bulbs, but the selection is more limited and reliability likely lower.

800 lumens is the sweet-spot, so I use a Y adapter in my table lamps to get 1600 (100W equivalent).

ranty

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

mindzipper

Newly Enlightened
Well, maybe screw three of these http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...t-Lamp-Holder-Adapter-R52-00128-00W/100356967 together and put in four 800 (or more) lumen LED bulbs of your desired color temperature (3000K might match your incandescent bulb.) It may look a little weird but will give you 3200 (or more) lumens without trying to find an expensive high output bulb that probably won't last due to excess heat. Or you could use one Y adapter with two 1600 lumen bulbs, but the selection is more limited and reliability likely lower.

800 lumens is the sweet-spot, so I use a Y adapter in my table lamps to get 1600 (100W equivalent).

Interesting, i never thought about that. this could work

mindzipper

Newly Enlightened
I bought some of these 300w med base equiv's on closeout for $20. Kinda blue color tho.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Meridian...ulb-13187/205705147?keyword=meridian+300w+led

This one is 5000K & $40. (med base)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Ele...-C4000-5K-LED/206677057?keyword=feit+300w+led

Fantastic. thank you! i found the same ones on Amazon for $28 + free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FGCF7S6/?tag=cpf0b6-20

i'm going to buy 4 so i don't have to do this again :)

excellent. thank you!

frank70

Newly Enlightened
Chances are you're NOT going to like the 6000K color temperature for an indoor work space, especially as a replacement for incandescent. It's going to be blue as blue can be.

mindzipper

Newly Enlightened
yeah i saw that. i know it's daylight.. well crap at 6k it's like moonlight.

but it's for a work area that I need as bright as possible. So i'll get used to it.

Thanks though, I do appreciate it.

ranty

Newly Enlightened

I'm a huge fan of ganging 800 lumen bulbs also. I scavenge lamp parts, and have a collection of franken lamps made from 3, 4, or 5 socketed ceiling fixtures. Also google 6-way floor lamps. They can be found at thrift stores for cheap. And if you must use 100W equiv bulbs, this one is my fave... Big heatsink. GE lighting 13909 They dim nicely down to 0%. Sams has them for $14, I think. Walmart or target...

I wish I lived closer to a Menards, I'd pick up 15 of these. Prob last forever due to the heat dissipating design. (Closeout special for $2). They will mail, but Fedex pricy shipping.
https://www.menards.com/main/electr...4431704922-c-7482.htm?tid=3416482339456054553
Click on the blue "Check another store for availability" icon and you have option to email & arrange shipping

Last edited:

mindzipper

Newly Enlightened
By the way, not that anyone is sitting on the edge of their seats waiting for my review, but it should be here Friday and if so I'll follow up.

one thing that GREATLY concerned me after purchase. there is no warranty on this other than it will arrive in working condition. Now, granted I have a return period from Amazon but it's only 30 days. I dind't even think of looking at warranty, but honestly for under $30.00 i suppose it's not crucial

ranty

Newly Enlightened
there is no warranty on this other than it will arrive in working condition. Now, granted I have a return period from Amazon but it's only 30 days. I dind't even think of looking at warranty, but honestly for under $30.00 i suppose it's not crucial

Yea, that's why I linked to the Home Deep. I figured your local store would have them at the $20 closeout price also. Dunno, maybe it is local only. HD is 90 days return.

A GOOD THING... Meridian warranty says 3 yrs, when used as directed, with no mention of hours involved
It says don"t return if defective to store, mail to Meridian @ Maryland Hts MO

So far I like them. I'd prefer they were dimmable, for that is MY way of keeping things cool & extending power supply & led's lives. They are BLUE, but I mix 'em with other warmer led's.

Last edited:

JoakimFlorence

Newly Enlightened
yeah i saw that. i know it's daylight.. well crap at 6k it's like moonlight.
Actually real moonlight is more on the order of 4200K. It only seems kind of bluish because the light level is so low at night (i.e. the Purkinje effect).

but it's for a work area that I need as bright as possible. So i'll get used to it.
I'm not sure that you will. 5000K is already a cool white, and a 5000K bulb can appear to cast a very bluish color of light during the night.

To further complicate things, some people report having just a tiny bit of difficulty concentrating on fine detail under LED lighting; the eye doesn't focus it as well. (This only applies to white LEDs, not the multi-colored stage spotlights) The difference isn't huge though.

mindzipper

Newly Enlightened
Alright, let me get down to the nitty-gritty. I got my light today. Frankly, I like the color for right now, but I have a question. I do not believe this is a 300w equivalent and here's why. I found a 200w equivalent on eBay for about half the price. This is what I'm referring to

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351788653194

it's warm, 2700k. but the interesting thing is, it's only 2w less than my supposed 300w and the lumens don't really come out right. The linked light is 3200lm while mine is 3300lm

IN fact, if you look, this same company has a 300w equivalent that's 50w and 5000lm

So, since I'm a newbie at all of this can someone 1. help me understand the items I mention and 2. tell me if there's a reason I shouldn't buy a corn cob? Oh, one other bit. the expected life of the meridian is I believe 25000 hours, while the eBay sale items claim 50k. They have a 3-year warranty so someone mentioned above the meridian does also. honestly? for 30 bucks I'm way ok replacing it 3 years from now.

I'm not being sarcastic, I just don't know the answer. I can return this meridian, but I think if I did wouldn't I be smarter to buy two of the corn cob 30w versions? that should provide 6400 lumens for about the same price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371684344138

I will admit, I do like the polished look of the meridian, but how often am I going to look at the bulb.

Finally, I can't visit home depot to review the meridian, as there is none here in the small town I live in.

thanks!

ranty

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't believe half of ebayers claims. Lifespan may be crap, or you might even get a different product than described.

I have a work room that requires very fine detail views.

Are your current lights at ceiling level, or table lamp/floor lamp level? Large lampshade to diffuse?

Why not use some warmer "directed light" down on your work surface using BR lamps? Your 300W equiv could be for general lighting, and use some warmer directed light onto your work surface. I wouldn't try to solve all lighting needs with a single bulb or a single type of bulb.

High CRI BR reflector type:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=cri+led+br
BR's are nice & soft with their diffused front cover, so less glare & hot-spots.

Also...
I have hacked cheap-o lamps & turned them into sorta nice overhead spotlights...
hack_zpsuyyfruxj.jpg

photo by CPF user EngrPaul

Last edited:

mindzipper

Newly Enlightened
Not sure how image posting works here, think this will work.

I received the new lights from eBay today. While I will admit, the meridian is more finished, it is nowhere near as bright as ONE of these new versions and they are half the price. The only thing I can figure is the meridian is diffused a lot from the covers. The problem is the new ones are listed as 200w equivalent at 30W - 3200lm and the meridian claims 300w equivalent at 32w - 3300lm

The other nice thing is they're 2700k. I don't mind the 6000k but after all the negatives I've seen here and elsewhere, I think it was a bad idea.

I'm returning the meridian to Amazon today
nCfIaqQ.jpg

what I would like to point out is I'm very grateful for the responses here and the guidance. thank you very much

Last edited: