• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

WTS: BC30vn - Bicycle Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

85coke

Newly Enlightened
Re: Best Bicycle Light - Coming Soon :)

For mountain biking I like 2 lights

Light 1 - Helmet mounted so it shines where I'm looking. Narrow beam with decent throw. Neutral tint. Also needs a low mode when doing things like working on a bike or looking in a pack. I don't mind carrying the battery in a camelback.

Light 2 - Bar mounted with a very floody beam. Neutral tint. Battery could be mounted on frame.

Both need 3 hour run time on high or medium. Something to let me know how much battery life is left is also a nice feature.

A domed and dedomed version of the same light might be a solution for me.

Bigblue

Newly Enlightened

For mountain biking (singletracks, not super technical), I use HC90vn headlamp and keep two lights on the handlebar (one will be on low and aimed to the side and serves as backup).

Rotate the following:

- PD35
- Lumina 700
- Magicshine (forgot model)
- solarstorm

click here

Newly Enlightened

i'm using hose clamps to attach the minivn to my bike. Do your worst!

idleprocess

Flashaholic

I have yet to indulge in one of these mods, but I confess that the testimonials have me intrigued as I await news that my usual retailer has the Fenix BC30 in stock so I will have to wait to see what happens here.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened

OMG OMG OMG If this thing is capable of sustaining 2K lumens over four hours, with a good beam profile, Im in already! So long as it can be mounted to a helmet or bars very sercurly and will stand up to downhill offroad abuse that is! Big ask, big task but if anyone can do it, its you Vihn, please let this be a dream light!

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened

Im happy to spend up to £200 for the right systerm, so Ill start saveing now ahaha! Ooohoo I cant wait, not been this excited over a VN light for a while, please give us some clues!

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened

OMG - TELL US ALREADY!!! LOL...

Can you tell I am inpatient?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mod it to be Peddle Powered like the old light that my dad put on my bike as a kid. It had the generator that pressed against the tire. The faster you went, the brighter she got! Memories.

spankone

Enlightened

So I've only just caught on to vin's work and I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Peace Train

Enlightened

Mod it to be Peddle Powered like the old light that my dad put on my bike as a kid. It had the generator that pressed against the tire. The faster you went, the brighter she got! Memories.

Depending on functionality, most generators serving that purpose are called Dynamo's. And there are currently an abundance of lights available that come dynamo ready. They're just begging for one of Vinh's mods! :grin2:

But having something simple like ThePlug III Dynamo USB Charger, would eliminate a dynamo specific light entirely, and be a great source to plug in all your devices while sipping your latte and listening to Pandora from your phone. :thumbsup:

LeukTech

Newly Enlightened

Interesting, a notable feature for a super bright bike light is the ability to quickly/instantly ramp down the brightness as to not blind drivers. Kind of like driving down a empty road at night with your brights on, it's common courtesy to drop them down when you see other drivers oncoming or in front of you. So a one-handed quick level-drop would be quite useful, as well as the ability to easily go back into turbo/high mode the instant the vehicle passes.

Although one might think that having a crazy bright light improves drivers seeing you, but man when I rode my motorcycle with it's brights on, it really pissed others drivers off. I got flashed more times than a rich dude throwing hundred dollar bills out in a strip-club.

Last edited:

Peace Train

Enlightened

Although one might think that having a crazy bright light improves drivers seeing you, but man when I rode my motorcycle with it's brights on, it really pissed others drivers off. I got flashed more times than a rich dude throwing hundred dollar bills out in a strip-club.

You get more than flashed for the indoor activity, but I think I get your analogy all the same.

a199578

Enlightened

How much brighter from stock? Was run time increased?

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the winter I ride 2-3 night rides a week & have been for years with lots of different set ups.

I usually only use "turbo" or max on technical downhill sections for a few minutes at a time.
There is lots of airflow & it's cooler obviously outside at night than playing with a light indoors :)
I've found the M2500 drop in dedomed for warmer tint to be a great bar light (would be nice on the helmet too in a custom remote host)
2 18350s don't provide much runtime on high but are ok for a run or two & can get u thru the night on low.

A single XML2 is ok in a pinch but for anything technical I'd at least want one on the helmet & one on the bars.

Neutral or warm a must !

I think the dedomed MTG2 is the best overall for where I ride so I'd be stoked to see a remote powered one from Vinh :)

My 2cents.

PS
I find the blue-ish magicshine lights to be unreliable (tons of riders here have them)

Last edited:

a199578

Enlightened
I'll take it! #1 Sign me up for the first one please. There are rattlesnakes in the mountains where I ride and need to be able to spot them at night with enough time to avoid them.

Status
Not open for further replies.