• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTS: Selfbuilt's new MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Offer - *** ALL SOLD ***

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: WTS: Selfbuilt's new MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Offer - $90 USD

Selfbuilt, I'll admit after I have a package en route... but do you have any beginning resources for an 18650 newb? Recommended batteries, chargers, resources to read on it? Getting confused with unprotected vs protected etc; have access via esk8 projects to lots of unprotected LG 18650 but not sure if that's a recipe for disaster because I'm not going to want to learn too much re: chemistry and all that; happy to adhere to generally recognized best practices.
For the lights I'm selling, that's easy - only buy quality protected batteries, standard Li ion. You don't need super high capacity, special chemistries, etc. Button top is preferable, for maximum compatibility. Avoid all unprotected, and cheap brands (like ultrafire, trustfire, etc).

As for chargers, I've always found the higher end Xtar ones (with read out displays) to be good value for money. Nitecores are ok.

Sorry, I haven't been following recent trends, so don't know what a good general resource would be. But the above is good advice to get you started. Generally, you get what you pay for - don't skimp on quality.

Grinchstolelights

Newly Enlightened

For the lights I'm selling, that's easy - only buy quality protected batteries, standard Li ion. You don't need super high capacity, special chemistries, etc. Button top is preferable, for maximum compatibility. Avoid all unprotected, and cheap brands (like ultrafire, trustfire, etc).

As for chargers, I've always found the higher end Xtar ones (with read out displays) to be good value for money. Nitecores are ok.

Sorry, I haven't been following recent trends, so don't know what a good general resource would be. But the above is good advice to get you started. Generally, you get what you pay for - don't skimp on quality.
Thank you! Frankly, you have a proven reputation that pretty much I would only pay attention to maybe 10 others here with the same level of trust in terms of advice. Not interested in going down rabbit holes on info; and don't need latest, greatest advice- reliable, time-proven advice was exactly what I was seeking. Really only was trying to figure out if I needed 3000 mAh 18650s, or unprotected for special modes/performance, etc etc. I was just trying to get enough info to price out being a noob and just ordering surefire self charging batteries or going to the trouble of the entire charging unit, battery comparison stuff. I had an imalent that had in light charging that I think complicated things enough it died; so just searching for the least effort/best advice ratio from someone. I didn't find a sticky, so thought I'd ask. Thank you so much for this again!

MX421

Enlightened

Thank you! Frankly, you have a proven reputation that pretty much I would only pay attention to maybe 10 others here with the same level of trust in terms of advice.

I think there is a counterpart that has a similar reputation over in the battery section for his review on chargers...HKJ i think. Not a reviewer myself of course, but i would second the recommendation for XTar chargers. I have the Dragon, VC4, VC2 and SV2 that are excellent chargers. The SV2 hasn't stood up well to carrying around though, but i liked its 2.0V charging thus leading to the Dragon purchase. Note that these chargers also charge NiMH and some other chemistries.

To get back on track,while i think i'll pass on this round (still playing with the lights i got in the last box and i'm on a budget) it good to see these boxes go so quickly. Free bump to the top for you selfbuilt!

Grinchstolelights

Newly Enlightened

I think there is a counterpart that has a similar reputation over in the battery section for his review on chargers...HKJ i think. Not a reviewer myself of course, but i would second the recommendation for XTar chargers. I have the Dragon, VC4, VC2 and SV2 that are excellent chargers. The SV2 hasn't stood up well to carrying around though, but i liked its 2.0V charging thus leading to the Dragon purchase. Note that these chargers also charge NiMH and some other chemistries.

To get back on track,while i think i'll pass on this round (still playing with the lights i got in the last box and i'm on a budget) it good to see these boxes go so quickly. Free bump to the top for you selfbuilt!
Excellent and thank you. My thought is to limit this habit, get a bunch of different lights for different needs, get the batteries, and be done for years and don't obsess/spend too much sanity on this. I have way too little sanity left tbh. Super happy about a grab bag of different, yet quality lights, trusted, not latest and greatest but solid, and can keep me from going down this rabbit hole again.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did you get everything you need from me? I didn't get tracking yet...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Did you get everything you need from me? I didn't get tracking yet...
That's weird, it shipped on Saturday - will re-forward tracking info.

FYI, for those who didn't get a PM/e-mail from me, check your paypal accounts - most of the orders have tracking directly linked through the paypal order.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just got a pm from you but this is the first. And I thought only blf was having site issues. There was nothing on PayPal either

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's coming tomorrow. Now I won't have to keep refreshing the status all week like a lunatic. Now to brush up on my photo posting skills

DMS1970

Enlightened

Sorry - I got my 2nd round medium quality mystery box the other day, but have been busy. It contained:
Xtar S1 - large triple 18650 - triple XML thrower with rotary control
Fenix LD 12 - AA light
Imalent EU06 - single 18650, this is the one with the LCD screen that shows battery and mode with separate spot/flood and red LED
Olight - H1 Nova headlamp/kit
Niwalker 600N1 - single 18650 with tail switch and infinitely variable control ring

Pics to follow!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Just a reminder for all, please feel free to post the pics is the current unboxing thread, as this one will come to an end once the last of the boxes are sold.

Still 2 boxes left, BTW .... :whistle:

MX421

Enlightened

Sorry - I got my 2nd round medium quality mystery box the other day, but have been busy. It contained:
Xtar S1 - large triple 18650 - triple XML thrower with rotary control
Fenix LD 12 - AA light
Imalent EU06 - single 18650, this is the one with the LCD screen that shows battery and mode with separate spot/flood and red LED
Olight - H1 Nova headlamp/kit
Niwalker 600N1 - single 18650 with tail switch and infinitely variable control ring

Pics to follow!

Wow, if i had know headlights were also included, i'd have gambled on another box!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

I will take one . Paypal being sent
Paypal received, thanks. That makes one left .... :whistle:

Wow, if i had know headlights were also included, i'd have gambled on another box!
I threw in a few special items into this second batch - there were 2-3 headlamps, half a dozen rechargeable lights (with batteries included) and two throwers with aspheric heads. Can't guarantee every box got something special, but I tried to stretch them out as best I could.

MX421

Enlightened

Alright, i gave anyone who hadn't got a box a chance, i'll take the last one. It was nice to try different interfaces (as well as some i already knew) in the last batch of boxes and this one will allow me to look at some other brands i would not have considered. Looking forward to trding out with other box recipients to try other interfaces as well if that works out.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Alright, i gave anyone who hadn't got a box a chance, i'll take the last one. It was nice to try different interfaces (as well as some i already knew) in the last batch of boxes and this one will allow me to look at some other brands i would not have considered. Looking forward to trding out with other box recipients to try other interfaces as well if that works out.
Payment received, all boxes sold!

Thanks everyone. :wave:

Grinchstolelights

Newly Enlightened

Supposedly box arrives tonight. America's hat doesn't have good tracking after it leaves the hat; no updates since. Hope to inform people here and figure out if we want to swap lights. Very excited; ordered batteries and a charger and more batteries that haven't arrived yet in anticipation.

busseguy

Enlightened

Supposedly box arrives tonight. America's hat doesn't have good tracking after it leaves the hat; no updates since. Hope to inform people here and figure out if we want to swap lights. Very excited; ordered batteries and a charger and more batteries that haven't arrived yet in anticipation.

Im having the same issues with the tracking. It was estimated to be here today but wasn't.

Do you know if it is actually going to be delivered by the US postal service or someone like Fed EX?