XP-G in PT apex

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
jjyoung, yes it's stock optic.

psychbeat, a bit funky, but it is possible - you will have to cut some pcb I think.

Taking a look at the pictures, it seems a little nonsense to buy a Petzl Ultra when you can have a PT Apex for a fraction of the cost, with way similar results.

By the way, I've been out of this CPF world for a while, and I had no idea about your incredible website. Thank you very much.

kevinm

Enlightened
Taking a look at the pictures, it seems a little nonsense to buy a Petzl Ultra when you can have a PT Apex for a fraction of the cost, with way similar results.

By the way, I've been out of this CPF world for a while, and I had no idea about your incredible website. Thank you very much.

The Ultra is a totally different beast. It puts out 350 lumens. It's like 3-4 of these together. That does mean no spot, but it's bright!

kevinm

Enlightened
Any problems with the XP-G on high getting hot? I have some lights with K2 TFFC's and poor heatsinking that I would like to change to Xp-G's, but am worried about them being destroyed.

Thanks,
Kevin

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ultra is a totally different beast. It puts out 350 lumens. It's like 3-4 of these together. That does mean no spot, but it's bright!

But at 1 Amp a XP-G R5 can put out 350 lm, and you can get near four hours of it using decent NiMH's.

Is the Apex driving the LED at 1 Amp?

It seems many high end lamps gets prematurely outdated.

Javier

kevinm

Enlightened
But at 1 Amp a XP-G R5 can put out 350 lm, and you can get near four hours of it using decent NiMH's.

Javier

True, they can put out 350 lumens, but can they do it reliably without catching on fire?:rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't know. I meant my question above: given not great heat sinking, how does the XP-G fare at 1A for long periods of time?

The LED's in the Ultra are under-driven and it generates a wall of light, not a spot. The application is different. Also, the 350 of the Ultra is, from looking at it in person, an out the front measurement.

I'm not claiming the Ultra is worth the extra money, but if I could get one for twice the cost of the Apex, I probably would.

Kevin

Last edited:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast

Javier

I think the Apex runs it's led at about 700 mA. Thinking of putting an xp-e in mine (warm white):D

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, they can put out 350 lumens, but can they do it reliably without catching on fire?:rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't know. I meant my question above: given not great heat sinking, how does the XP-G fare at 1A for long periods of time?

The LED's in the Ultra are under-driven and it generates a wall of light, not a spot. The application is different. Also, the 350 of the Ultra is, from looking at it in person, an out the front measurement.

I'm not claiming the Ultra is worth the extra money, but if I could get one for twice the cost of the Apex, I probably would.

Kevin

Well, I haven't seen or tested an APEX, but if it runs at 700 mA as NoFair said, it is putting out 265 lm, according to jtr1962 testings (Thank you). I don't think it is going to catch fire.

Yes, the ultra is a nice lamp, but the lm/US$ relationship is on the APEX.

Javier

Ace12

Enlightened
How much you charge to do the Apex mod with the XP-G? I'm terrible at modding anything.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
xp-e works great with the stock optic as well, tighter beam than a Seoul though. Neutral white and R2 brightness is very nice:D

Sverre

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened
xp-e works great with the stock optic as well, tighter beam than a Seoul though. Neutral white and R2 brightness is very nice:D

Sverre

NoFair, where did you get your XP-G emitters? I'm thinking of re-modding my Apex, upgrading the Seoul to an XP-G with the stock optic.
I am assuming at 700ma the lumens should jump from 150 to 250 or so.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
NoFair, where did you get your XP-G emitters? I'm thinking of re-modding my Apex, upgrading the Seoul to an XP-G with the stock optic.
I am assuming at 700ma the lumens should jump from 150 to 250 or so.

From Cutter:

http://www.cutter.com.au/products.php?cat=Cree+XPE

I have the XPEWHT-L1-4D-R2-0-0 Neutral White (R2 brightness, D4 tint) on Cutter-XPE10SRO (10mm round) pcbs. The pcb has to be turned down (belt sander works:eek:) to 8mm to fit in the slot for the Seoul/Luxeon. The hight is fine so no need to make the 2mm pcb thinner. The beam is tighter and output is higher than even a very good Seoul U-bin.

Sverre

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened
From Cutter:

http://www.cutter.com.au/products.php?cat=Cree+XPE

I have the XPEWHT-L1-4D-R2-0-0 Neutral White (R2 brightness, D4 tint) on Cutter-XPE10SRO (10mm round) pcbs. The pcb has to be turned down (belt sander works:eek:) to 8mm to fit in the slot for the Seoul/Luxeon. The hight is fine so no need to make the 2mm pcb thinner. The beam is tighter and output is higher than even a very good Seoul U-bin.

Sverre

Thanks. I think I'll wait for the XP-G, if I'm going to remove my P4 anyway from my Apex.