Your first car?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie, jeffb, thanks for the education /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif yeah I can imagine the huge long shifters that go all the way to the floor, I've seen them in some commercial vehicles. This thread is showing my age too, or lack thereof.. (not old enough to remember the REAL old days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

By the time I started driving, we'd already gone to the small gear lever in between the seats, in front of the handbrake.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
First Car 1972 Ford Pinto, bought it from my sister for $100. It was BRIGHT yellow. Drove it through every weather you get in upstate NY until the salt ate the body up too badly. As far as I know that cast iron 4 cyl engine is still powering a piece of equipment (big, home made, wood splitter)on my parents farm.

Second car was a cherry '80 Trans-AM. I'm still amazed that I didn't kill myself with that car!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The first car I could truly call my own was a 1970 Ford Maverick. Baby poop brown in color, right rear quarterpanel was rusted out, and it went through about a quart of "earl" a week, but it had 120 horses under the hood, and I put a JVC RC-M70JW ghetto blaster in the front passenger seat (the most powerful portable stereo made in the 1980s), so it would *go* when I stepped on the gas and it was rather loud when I put a cassette in that stereo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It reminds me of the Anthrax song "Metal Thrashing Mad".

"Racing down the road
In a street machine of steel
Gears are jammed in full
I'm the madman at the wheel

Got my foot pinned to the floor
You can feel the engine roar
I got thunder in my hands
I'm metal thrashing mad, yeah
Metal thrashing mad, yeah
"

The car was stolen in 1987 though, and I haven't had another one since. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
3 on the tree - haven't heard that one before, is that an automatic? I'm guessing so since overdrive was mentioned in the same sentence.

Man I'm having a hard time imagining how you drive a 2-speed auto... those were before my time, but it sounds bad enough that given that choice, a 4/5-speed manual almost seems like a no-brainer.

[/ QUOTE ]

As Raggie said, 3 on the tree refers to a 3 speed manual transmission. The gear shift lever was mounted on the right side of the steering collumn. You used it the same way you'd use a floor mounted 4 speed, but the pattern was different.

1st gear. Pull towards you and down.
2nd gear Pull towards you and up
3rd gear Push away and down.
Reverse Push away, then a little further away, then up.
Overdrive. Pull the little knob on the dash board.
Neutral Lever in the center and can push front or back.

So driving was find neutral; clutch; pull and down; release clutch; clutch; pull while moving up; release clutch. At this point I was going 10 MPH.

The fun one was from 2nd to third. That required pulling the lever while moving it down halfway, then pushing it forward, but not enough to go to the area for reverse, then pushing it down. Once you add up all the loose (worn) linkages, you can imagine why we called it 'rowing through the gears'. The gear shift lever moved around a foot in all directions.

Three on the tree was fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The old 2 speed autos were not bad. Start with a big engine and lots of torque, add tall gearing and recognize that almost no-one really drove at 85 MPH for very long. Real freeways were not that common before the mid 60's.

If I recall correctly, the 3rd speed in many older cars was very tall, close to an overdrive.

Daniel

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:
The old 2 speed autos were not bad. Start with a big engine and lots of torque, add tall gearing and recognize that almost no-one really drove at 85 MPH for very long. Real freeways were not that common before the mid 60's.

If I recall correctly, the 3rd speed in many older cars was very tall, close to an overdrive.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif '77 Honda Civic first generation with 600cc? (or 1 liter) engine with two speed "Slow and Slower" AT.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Glad things have not stayed that way in the years that have passed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will take you through the cars of my friends since mine are boring and most of this took place before I even had a license:

A VW bug with the only working brake a parking brake -- driving around town was a two person job since you needed two hands to get the thing to slow down and to hold your sides to keep from laughing. (Yes, young and very stupid)

A Ford Cortina wagon (British). 1600cc 4 cyl. Driving down the highway and hear this loud noise. Shouldn't we start (BANG!!) slowing down? The engine got real loud and the shifter comes right off, and we look in the mirror to see the drive shaft rolling away.

Any number of Plymouth GTX's -- one from evey year. Air Grabber hood. 440/383 but no hemi. Egads! The gas consumption was bad but the tire consumption was worse. No wonder there was so much rubber on the ground at every intersection.

Mazda rotary engines can be rebuilt in a basement, weigh about 200 lbs., and have very few parts. The apex seals could be upgraded. And buying several large jars of vaseline to hold the seals in place got you very weird looks at the drug store. They made good rally cars but since they had no guts at low end, did not climb icy hills worth a snot. But since they were light they could be pushed uphill (and I am still trying to catch my breath). Redline? What redline? They ran out of power before they would hurt themselves. 10,000 rpm out of a rebuilt 12A.

BTW, never give up on a rotary. Ex-boyfriend of my sister had an RX4 that had the oil light come on (very bad thing to see with a semi in the mirrors -- big semi -- as the somewhat dirty old greeting card said, I can't give you a Ferrari but I've got a Peterbilt for you). He pulled off as the engine "seized." Sold it to a high school kid and for $125 and was laughing. Until... Dad and kid came to pick up the car. Dad poured kerosene into the spark plug holes (two per rotor) and tows the car. Kid dumps the clutch. Vrooom! No mosquitoes for days after that, but everyday the kid drove past the boyfriends house for about two years.

Volvos can go fast. Especially 242's. The 6's were stones, but a 4 with the right heads and tranny were fun. They almost never rolled, but would almost roll a lot. Didn't you know Volvo made two wheelers? It's just that the other two wheels were not on the ground! Yes, I like roll cages and racing belts that are properly installed. And don't hit the ditch -- fly over it.

How about a Fiat 850 convertible with four people in it? With the top up.

My sister had a BMW 1600. Lent it to a friend. "Well, the engine temp light came on but I just kept driving and it finally went out." After dropping in a fresh 2 liter motor on the same tranny, we had a neat little rocket. Great gearing. Went real fast. Right up 'til she wreaked it.

Same Bimmer was originally bought with a jerry rigged intake system. Had a few hoses missing and a few more plugged with corks and hose clamps. Push starting was what little brothers were made for. Unfortunately, I was the little brother. Got it up to speed and by the third time of politely asking her to dump the &%$*ing gawdamned clutch, BOOM! Nice backfire! And two or three bits of tubing and hose clamps on the ground. Ran much better after that.

Same Bimmer had the turn signals on the right side of the column. More to come on that.

Dads '66 Polara wagon. 383 auto. -- big enough that you could lay a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood flat in the back... and that was between the wheel wells, not on them. Torque? (Bad pun alert) Torque is cheap! Would out drag most wannabes in Mousetangs and Fireturds (this was the 60's -- always buy the biggest and most powerful. Never buy the V6 or the baby V8).

So, back to the Bimmer. It's in the garage (sounds familiar even today, right?) so Sis takes the wagon. I hear a thump on the floor as her left foot goes for the clutch that ain't there. I grab her hand as she signals for the left turn. Remember the BMW? The one with the turn signals on the right side of the column? Hmmmm, it's an American car with an automatic and not the BMW with the turn signals on the RIGHT side of the column, and she's making a LEFT turn at about 35 mph. That would have left a mark...

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
I'm 20 and my first car was older than me. It was a 1982 BMW 3 series coupe. It had no power steering, no power breaks, no power anything now that I recall. The interior lights were lit up by one single orange bulb which dissipated quickly so that only the top digits would show. It had a 3 speed automatic that sounded like it was going to blow up anywhere above 75. Also at around 80, the steering wheel portrayed significant headshake. BUT...In spite of all these flaws, the car was built like a battle tank! I was doin 60 down a long hill one day and decided to put it into neutral and cruise, but i went too far and dropped it into reverse. the car grinded and then clicked to a hault and shut itself off. It took about 5 minutes to start back up but once it did, it was perfectly fine!!! Not a sound from that point on! I pushed the car to its limits when I took it out in the canyon during the winter. It was a rear wheel drive so you could get some good drifts with it in the mud despite the 80 horsepower 4 banger under the hood. One day after it cleared up a bit I took my Beamer out in the canyon around the normal 8 mile (or so) trail and about half way through, I came over a bump and BAM!!! punctured the gas tank on a jagged rock sticking out of the ground. So I had to call my parents to come get me and a tow truck to get my car out of the canyon...they were furious. Eventually that car started pissing me off and I bought a 1990 candy apple toyota 4x4 pickup. That car was in such perfect shape BEAUTIFUL truck..chrome and bright brand new painted red. Bought it for 6,000 w/105,000 miles on it, turned around and sold it for 8,500 w/124,000 miles on it. Miss that truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Got my first car in 1965 when I got out of college, was a 1959 MG A 1500cc! The MGA in the picture is not mine but mind looked just like it with the exception that mine has a luggage rack on the trunk (boot)! Loved that car!!!

59mga.jpg

Brock

Flashaholic
brock-car.jpg

1976 Pontiac Catalina, the longest standard production car coming in at just over 21 feet and just over 5000lbs if my memory is correct. Of course even back then I added some extra lights and batteries to power them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Each 100w ACL was wired with #8 from the batteries though a relay that was feed from the "normal" bights line or they could be turned on manually one at a time or lastly I had a sequencer to bounce them from left to right, back and fourth in one second intervals.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man you guys got some nice rides for your first car.

Mine was a beat up '87 Pontiac Sunbird ($1500 in '92) which I crashed shortly after during a Super Soaker water gun fight after high school graduation (Yep I was a stupid teenager back then).

greenLED

Flashaholic
'87 Toyota Camry. I think you can picture its state /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif if I told you its nickname was "The Limo-"

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine was a 86 Ford Tempo that was a pass-down. We called the silver bullet because it has no rear left brake so I tried to avoid braking as much as possible, and the fact that it was so slow I had to plan a pass a mile ahead of the time at any speed over 60.

It's in a better place now. Hopefully. RIP silver bullet

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
B@rt said:
Rags, the 2cv only weighs about 450 kg (~1000 lbs) so it wasn't that bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
2cv5ky.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks like a Volkswagon on tiptoes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

leadfoot

Newly Enlightened
1929 Ford Model A two door sedan, four cylinder, 3sp manual floor shift like a pickup truck. No heater, manual winshield wiper, 21inch wheels with tires about 4inches wide. The local Sherrif and Game Department would tell dad about the strange places that they would find my obvious tracks. Because of the narrow tires and with snow chains that sucker would go through about 16inches of snow like a 4x4. I now understand why in the old west they had buffalo robe blankets in the wagon. Imagine having too wrap up in a blanket to take the 4mile drive to hi-school because its 30 below and no heater. Great make out rig thou. Chick magnet.

Leadfoot

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roy,

Nice Ride /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brock,

A friend of mine in 1965-1968 had a 1963 Pontiac Catalina
Convertible.........navy blue with a "baby" blue convertible top and interior; it also was 3 "on the tree"........never saw another like it!!

jeffb

*Bryan*

Enlightened
I had a 79 monte carlo....Car was free, I just had to build the tranny for it..
Had that for 6 monhs until I bought my first pick up truck. a 87 f150. I have owned a truck ever since...

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 2 speed powerglide worked great in my 64 skylark.
a 3 speed would have been nice.
I drove it for 6 years.
283 cubic inch v8 aluminum block and heads - single exaust and 2 barrel carb - stock 185 hp(I think)
I bought it in 1983 from an older woman who barely spoke english.
a year later I added a four barel carb and dual exaust and a new radiator - 220 - 230 hp or so.

it was a very responsive fast car.

every thing worked great(even the clock)when I bought it.
It had a realy nice interior.

every thing worked when I sold it.
I had a 74 ford courier pickup for a while
I liked the truck better because of the extreemly
good looking girlfriend who on the weekends went to the beach with me in it.

2.0 litre ohc 4 cylinder

104 mph top speed with hop up parts from jc whitney.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first car was an 86 Nissan Maxima. It had 175k miles on it when i got it and boy was it a total piece of S***. I still dont know what my parents were thinking knowing what they spent on the car initially and then what they spent to get it running.

Shane

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
simbad said:
I would like to see that Citroen climbing a street in San Francisco with four people in...first gear at 5mph. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
This car makes like a hundred miles with a gallon of gas.

[/ QUOTE ]and gets passed on the same hill by mopeds!