Your needs for a flashlight

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I 1st logged to CPF my tagline is: I'll build flashlights.

Its time to begin asking a few questions to the specialized CPF public:

I'm planning on building a technical NOT TACTICAL light, what do you think it should have?

It will:
- be powered by 3v, so it could use CR123 2xAA or any other source for 3v
- be small, around the size/wide of an arc4 and a VIP. So it could be used as EDC
- be microcontrolled and regulated.
- use a 1w or 3w not so tight beam.
- it will be HA3

comments are very welcome!

thanks

Pablo

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The diameter should be as small as possible.

It should use a reflector.

It should have a glass lens.

A clickie switch is a plus.

I wish you good luck!!!

albert

Enlightened
The length should be as short as possible and diameter as small as possible.

It should come with a tripod mount.

It should come with a belt clip tab.

It should come in HA3-Black, HA3-Nat and HA3-Titanium.

It should have a 2xAA or 3x123 powerpack as upgrade.

It should come with UCL as standard.

A clickie is definately a must.

At least a 4-stage brightness control.

It should come with 1W as standard & 3W as upgrade.

It should be focusable, from flood beam to throw beam.

I wish you the very best of luck!!!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
All the above, plus an application for a bank loan to pay for the light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of these have been said before but here would be my requirements.

-At least 3 stage of brightness
-A metal reflector
-Focusable beam
-A "low" mode thats somewhere in the range of an arc aaa
-CLICKIE
-I would love to see a 2 figure price tag but thats not realistic. Lets keep it under $200 shall we?

***Accssories
-A 2aa powerpack
-A 2 123 powerpack (extended run times)
-Something like the BBH to focus the beam to a tight spot
-A nice lanyard
-A belt clip

I think that either a 1 or 3 watt would work depending on what you want. Maybe have 2 different ones. 1 a floodlight and 1 a thrower, or just take a 3 watt and make it Focusable.....

I wish you luck as you will need all of it that you can get.

Ill be waiting to see what comes out.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
ACK to the posted suggestions

What actual focusing method do you prefer, I mean which light cover best your focusing needs?

What kind of clickie you like the most?

Thanks

Pablo

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I prefer fixed focus. My favorite reflector for luxeons is the PR. It has a nice hot spot with plenty of spill.

I prefer Surefire clickies to the Kroll, but there aren't a lot of choices.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
It should have an "X" bin LuxIII emitter

It should have infinitely variable output & focus

It should run at full brightness for 2 weeks on one battery

It should be smaller than a 123 cell and still accomodate 2x AA cells

Oh, and if you can keep the price under US $49.95, I might be in for a few /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Life would be a dream... if only I could afford...

Oh he77, what am I saying.

I want something that is pretty simple really. Run option 1x123. A PR or SO17X reflector at optimum fixed focus. A 3W WHITE!!!! LS driven to decent brightness. It can have a twist head like ARC AAA or AA or Infinity.

I would imagine something like that already exists, and I can't afford it anyhow.

Nevermind.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
ACK to the second wave of suggestions, all will be considered.

My comments: since I like to call this light technical instead of tactical, I don't see the need for a long throw, super premium bins or highly focused beam. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think of strobo lights, signaling, alerting, intensity levels, etc.

If no one have more suggestions I'll try to remain silent regarding this development for about 3 months.

Obviously more suggestions are welcome!

Pablo

Artful

Newly Enlightened
Well - my thought is that I like a long throw available as there are times when I need to reach out and I like a flood available for times I need to see all around me - so I'm mod'ing SL TL2 and have ordered a kroll clicker for the end (master on/off). This does have a somewhat focasable reflectore but it could be better. This Kroll switch will let you not have to cycle thru 0ff/led's/Off/blub/Off - I'd like to mod so only 1 led then 3 led's then Xenon - failing that I might just change to Xenery (3led's, 6 led's, Xenon/Off) and put the kroll in the back of that - See where that one's already been mod'd to replace Xenon w/ high watt led.

What am I missing on my mod - belt/pocket clip & lanyard attachment point & anti roll device, better lanyard, better water resistance, color filter (Single color led?), Smaller size, 360 deg area lighting (electric candle like my Mini Mag.

Just my .02

Artful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

leadfoot

Newly Enlightened
Hello Peu

If this is to be the do everything light then I don't see how it can be as small as a FireFly.

That jumps us up to the ARC4 and VIP size.

3W Very White. Possibly side emitting???
Upgradeable with sandwich of current dimentions
Metal reflector, focusable
Kroll switch for off and on with guard
Full circumfrence 3 position switch for high, med and low, just behind the head for non-indexing ease of use.
HA3
provision for belt clip on both ends (bezel up or down)(removable)
lanyard attachment designed to hang the light in verticle position. Requires 2 attachment points. Removeable from under kroll guard.
No more than 1 inch diameter

The reason I like my CNC123 is it allows me to change and upgrade as advances in design come on the market.

With an upgradable body with a switching power pack that allows for changes of reflectors, optics, sandwiches, 123, AA and other options I know I'd want one....or two.

Good luck and keep us posted

Leadfoot

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need one that is bright as poop at least Luxeon III, and has a Bottle opener and fits nicely on my keychain. I really don't liek carrying a seperate bottle opener, but lately I have been using one every day over and over~!

nattuggla

Newly Enlightened
If I were you, I'd think about 2 x CR123 side by side. Optics in front of one, switch and electronics in front of the other.

A really low power/long battery life "find me" setting could be useful sometimes.

In summer there's not much need for a light (around here) and in winter I prefer them to be plastic instead of metal. I know you've decided on material, but maybe you could make the design friendly to wrapping with cord (a bit neater than this: http://www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/outdoor/e1-kl1.jpg )?

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
leadfoot: I no fan at all of vaporware, so I wont promise you that this is gonna be a super dupper light and at this moment is wise to tell that this is still on paper.

What I can tell you is its going to be 1w or 3w white, using a cr123, 2xAA and may be some accsesory to use other combination.
Focusable in a small light adds lenght, so it will probably be fixed focus.

It will be user programmable using a one-wire interfase (dallas like) with a PC, it will allow to be programmed for diferent tasks, for example strobo /sos signalling/dim levels, etc.

I'm thinking of a light API (application program interfase) so you can define with simple commands what do you want from your light.

I can disclose all of the items I want because I dont want to patent the light, mainly because all these concepts are known, but yet not implemented (to my knowledge).

And my knowledge of patents tell me that if someone wants to copy your work he will, so I'll put the light for sale and if someone later wants to patent the same idea, my work will serve as previous art, thus invalidating the claims of originality.

And, most important, I'm still discusing with the programmer about the details, so I will not tell you release dates.

Pablo

kenny

Newly Enlightened
Pablo,
This does sound interesting. I agree with you that the fixed focus would probably keep the light a little shorter, it might be advisable to make it a stsandard size in the front that would allow the swapping of various lenses. That way the long throw folks can get theres and the flood folks can get what they are looking for.

Me, I'm not that bigg on long throw because it isn't that usefull -- I would rather light up the trail etc (15 deg seems like a good compromise).

I like the user programability -- especially for low, med, and high settings as well as a distress flash. It would also be nice if you made the module availible seperately so we could upgrade older lights as well as modding existing light. AND, for use DIY guys -- how about making it availible as a kit -- my wife doesn't care about me putzing around, but see does notice the cash going out!

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kenny: making the top of the light standard size is not a bad idea at all, so it will be considered.

regarding DIY, there is one part that I want to try to keep secret, the circuit part, not that is rocket science, but I prefer this way, I obviously going to disclose what regulator/pic it uses but only that far.

A module is not a bad idea at all! (I did not thought about it)

BUT. There is a saying in Argentina: "Quien mucho abarca poco aprieta", which roughly translates as: who tries to do a lot, does less

So, I think is best to have a working product and then diversify into variations.

Pablo