Your reaction to ElektroLumens ELX-6 FlameThrower

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Your reaction to ElektroLumens ELX-6 FlameThro

The lights Wayne does are always interesting - pushing the concepts a little further each time.

I would only caution to make sure that the battery pack can actually drive that many Luxeons reasonably well. It is way too easy to get the desired current ahead of the actual available current.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
believe Wayne J. is planning on doing some beam shots soon. He's been known to do beam shots of his neighborhood street. Real world shots would be good. I'm not familiar with Bike Magazine bike light review beam shots. I'll bet they are telling.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was ready to pop for a light several months ago but not knowing how they compared moved me to other interests.

"Bike magazine" should have been more generic. Various bycycle mags demonstrate a very good method that is not time consuming.
The camera and lights are in fixed positions with fixed settings for the camera.
The picture is wide enough to show past both sides of the widest light.
It usually shows a road or path with a fence and a fixed object at some distance.

You can clearly see how many "fence posts" are lit and how well and see side spill, etc.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

My favorite method for bike light pics that could be used for flashlights as well is the following. A British MTB publication uses a straight dark dirt road and sets up white vertical cards (8 1/2" x11" or 10"x10")every 10 meters at the side. With this setup the beams can be aimed at different stated distances on the road and it's impact on the cards and surroundings and be clearly seen. They also use a fairly wide angle so the whole lit area can be seen. This method can be easily duplicated anywhere. Ideally these pics are done with no clouds or moon in the sky to keep everything consistent.
I plan on using this method for my own bike lights and flashlights.

Regarding the ELX 6 itself I am planning to get a bike light version once it is a little more refined. I am also interested in the handheld. The start of this year has been financially tight which will work to my advantage since Wayne's lights just keep getting better. I own several of his lights and have always been pleased with the products I received and the customer service and support.

Regarding the price I think it is very resonable for what you get if this light delivers on your priorities for a purchase.

The EDC Ultimate 60 GT is $245 for a single cell 60 lumen tiny light, guaranteed tint, lots of features.
The Gladius seems like it will be around $250, Night-ops way beyond "tactical".
The Surefire Beast is $2,900. Not as bright as cheaper spotlights, expensive to run. It is a functioning work of art with great collectable value.

Different lights different priorities different prices.