Z48 or Z58?

Preben

Newly Enlightened
I'm getting a new switch for my SF C2. I'd welcome any thoughts and experiences. Also, if someone has pictures of the C2 with either of these tailcaps, I'd be very grateful if you could post a pic. Aesthetics isn't my primary concern but... hey, we're all flashoholics here and he or she of us who can say they - (honestly!) - don't want their flashlight to look cool may throw the first.... crenellated bezel ;-)

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends. If you are going to use your C2 in a real tactical situation with a firearm, the Z48 does provide additional protection against accidental activation. Most of us are not using them that way.

The C2 looks and works fine with either, although the Z48 is considered by some to add that additional cool factor.

The Z48 does add some additional length and bulk if that is a consideration for you.

Pick the one that looks best to you. The Z48 for whatever reason, is $1 cheaper from SF.

Mark

cfromc

Enlightened
The Z58 has the best "feel" IMO but I am 2 for 2 for having them fail in short order (one was dropped and failed, the other died on its own within 5-10 clicks) so I personally would not use one until I hear good reviews about the new design. I used a Z48/Z49 style for a while and never had a problem although it was not comfortable on my C3 due to the extra length and rubber shroud. On a C2 it might work good because it is shorter than the C3. For reliability, I would stick with the Z48.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Z48 on my M3. I personally do not like the Z58 for reliability issues, but I believe SF has changed the internals according to Size15s. But if you prefer the cigar grip or SF/Rogers grip with your C2, you might want to choose the Z58. The Z48 is a better tailcap though.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
My personal favourite is the Z48, followed by the SW02, then the standard Z41 and the Z58 last... The Z48 and SW02 operates near identical in feel and usage... the Z41 IS the most reliable being a tactical twisty. The Z58 is the worst in feel and reliability IMO.

Personally, I'd go with the Z48 because I reckon its the best value/performance/feel for money of the 3 tail caps here. CPF member brightspot IS THE MAN to get Surefire parts from, he ships fast and offers great prices to CPF members, just let him know Fusion_m8 sent you...haha:D

M2 head, C2 body & Z58 tail
CIMG3975.jpg

M2 head, C2 body & Z48 tail
CIMG3976.jpg

M2 head, C2 body & SW02 tail
CIMG3977.jpg

Preben

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot for your thoughts on this subject, guys. And your pictures were just what the doctor ordered, Fusion_m08 - much appreciated!
I still haven't made my mind up though. I don't use my C2 with a handgun but still find myself using the cigar grip a lot. The C2 simply lends itself well for it.
I prefer the looks of the Z58, but I too had a brand new Z59 fail after five clicks. A drop of oil later it was fine and has been so for several thousand clicks since, and I rather like the feel of it. But... apparently it does have a design flaw and you'll always have that nagging doubt.
So what I'm trying to do now, is to stare at Fusion_m08's pictures and fall in love with looks of the Z48. Neurotic to the bone, eh ;-)

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the Z48 and Z58 and also the SW01 and SW02. SW02 and Z48 both have the rubber shroud where it helps with tail standing and also accidental operation. IMO between the Z48 and Z58, depending on how you intend to use a holster etc, Z48 have the added advantage for having that extra grip (rubber shroud), of course the Z58 is much shorter and neater in appearance.
I wouldn't worry about failed switches as SF have excellent warranty and it goes with the product not the owner. If you purchased a dead clicky, SF shall have it GTG albeit some waiting time....

jugg2

Enlightened
I bought a Z48/49 for my SF lego, because of the rumors of Z58/59 failure. I like it because it keeps the light from being accidentally switched on.