ZebraLight H51w or SC51w for EDC?

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I have a H51 and an SC51 (and H51F, H501x2, SC30, SC60), so I can use either.

I found I couldn't get comfortable walking along with the H51 in my hand. It was fine as a headlamp (excellent in fact if you want some throw), but not as a hand held light. When I grab a light to use to shine around and see what is out there I always seem to grab the SC51 in preference to the H51.

I don't think the location of the switch makes much difference, both seem to turn themselves on if I carry them in my pocket without unscrewing the tailcap. In fact if I carried the H51 in a vertical position (switch up) it would be more likely to turn on (that's why I stopped EDCing my LF2XT).

My suggestion is to buy both, then sell the one you like least on CPFMP. Honestly, you are the only one who can say which one you prefer, and until you give both a decent try out you won't know which one suits you best.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks davidt1 for the interesting, informative pics, and for everyone else's perspective.

haha... I don't know if you guys are making it easier, or harder for me to make up my mind. But please keep torturing me. :thinking:

I'm torn between the H51w and SC51w especially since I know I would like them both.

SC51w: I like the form factor for normal flashlight use, however to be honest having to lockout the tailcap to prevent accidental activations is a real turn off. I will be carrying it as my EDC light in my left front pocket, and I don't want to be having to twist the tailcap before activating the light every time I need to use it. Sometimes I only have one hand available.

H51w: I must admit that the versatility is very appealing to me, and I am drawn to this light for its different uses. I really like that you can clip it anywhere, and have the light aim outwards. I originally began looking at the H51w specifically so I wouldn't have to lock out the tailcap, and worry about accidental activation, because the button points down with this model. Is this true H51w owners if clipped to your front pocket?

Bottom line, the only reservation I really have with the H51w is... I'm not sure how I will like holding it for flashlight use. I wish I could handle both of them and use them some, but no stores here carry them. I will hardly ever use it with the headband, but I can see myself clipping it to my shirt, belt, necklace, etc. at times for hands free use.

I'd love to hear more from H51w owners about using it in-hand as a flashlight, how it feels using it that way, and from anyone else who owns the H51w and SC51w comparing them for conventional flashlight use.

Thanks

The responses you get from other H51 owners are from those who use the giant stock headband or from those who don't. Those who use the bulky stock headband won't be able to carry it in their pocket and thus won't be able to EDC it. Those who don't use the factory headband or a homemade one miss out on the point of owning a ZL angled light. Either way both camps don't use the light nearly to its potential. That is unfortunate because, with a simple mod, you can EDC this light in your pocket and use it as a headlamp as well as flashlight.

The best way to use this light as a shirt/pocket light is in the horizontal configuration, not the vertical clip that some people here use it. The reason is we need to adjust the beam up or down during use, not sideways. And the only way to use this light horizontally is through a lanyard attachment like mine. If you don't intend to do this simple mod, then you won't use your angled ZL lights to its full potential. If that's the case, then don't get the H51. Might as well get the SC51 or any hand-held flashlight.

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for everyones responses, they are greatly appreciated.

I just purchased the Maha MH-C9000 and (3) 4 packs of the newest version 1500 AA Eneloops.

So very soon I will be pulling the trigger on either the H51w or SC51w. I will say that unless something, or someone changes my mind, most likely I will be going with the H51w.:thinking:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say SC60 or w for EDC. a single AA eneloop doesn't hold very much juice. gone in 45mins or less. I used to EDC a fenix LD10, kept running out of ammo at the most inopportune times. you just can't depend on it

the SC60 with the 18650 lithium ion holds the equivalent of four AA eneloops. and it's safe to top up anytime (nimh miss termination if you charge a slightly depleted cell) so you know you got enough ammo for any situation

srfreddy

Enlightened
Op wants an aa torch. 18650's are much more dangerous, and larger too. The zebralight puts out plenty of light on h2, where it lasts plenty long (not sure how much, check selfbuilt). Charging a lithium ion is much riskier than charging nimh- I left a li-ion charger unattended for a few minutes, came back, touched the cell, and got burned. You should never leave li-ion unattended while charging, and I feel safer with nimh cells.

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the ZebraLight H51w today.

I hope I like the neutral tint... since this will be the first time I haven't gone with a cool white tint.

I usually go for the higher lumens, but I wanted to see why many here on CPF are so enamored with neutral white, warm tints. I guess I will see if it's worth the trade off.

Thanks for everyone's help. :)

tuelleric

Enlightened
Very useful thread, I just ordered a Zebralight, too. A H31Fw, which should meet exactly my needs. It's my first Zebralight, I'm really curious how I'll like it.

low

Enlightened
Starchaser, please give us a reveiw when you get it. I to am torn between the SC51w and the H51w. Kinda leaning towards the H51W due to the fact that it should be more multipurpose.

Low

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered the ZebraLight H51w today.

I hope I like the neutral tint... since this will be the first time I haven't gone with a cool white tint.

I usually go for the higher lumens, but I wanted to see why many here on CPF are so enamored with neutral white, warm tints. I guess I will see if it's worth the trade off.

Thanks for everyone's help. :)
Good choice! Just refrain from doing too much white wall comparing with the warm against a cool LED light. You'll likely think the new warm is too yellow. When actually, I think its the cool that is excessively blue. Just start using it on its own and you should soon start loving it. ;)

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
Good choice! Just refrain from doing too much white wall comparing with the warm against a cool LED light. You'll likely think the new warm is too yellow. When actually, I think its the cool that is excessively blue. Just start using it on its own and you should soon start loving it. ;)

lol... Thanks Lite, I'll keep that in mind, although I must confess it may happen. ;)

From what I have seen in pictures posted comparing tints, the neutral/warm tints seem to be more appealing to my eyes. It's too bad you have to sacrifice lumens and brightness though.

I'm anxious to see the comparison in person now.

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Congrats on what I believe to be an astute purchase. However, I must warn you; when I received my first neutral light I was extremely disappointed - in all my other lights!

Welcome to neutrality - where everything else seems extreme.

- Jas.

monju123

Newly Enlightened
I know that this puts me in a distinct minority on this site, but if I had it to do over again, I would order my SC51W without the W. The warm light is different, but I prefer the output and tint of my H31 to the SC51W. I realise this make me a social misfit and a drooler, both of which are true, but that's my take on this.

HIDblue

Enlightened
I know that this puts me in a distinct minority on this site, but if I had it to do over again, I would order my SC51W without the W. The warm light is different, but I prefer the output and tint of my H31 to the SC51W. I realise this make me a social misfit and a drooler, both of which are true, but that's my take on this.

You're not alone monju...for my needs, I much prefer the regular 'ol cool tinted lights. I enjoy neutral lights as well, but warm tinted lights just don't do it for me.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think being a drooling social misfit is required for all flashaholics. That makes all our opinions correct.

Geoff

sale

Newly Enlightened
I got my SC51w from illuminationgear. It was some US$8 more expensive (shipping to Europe) than ordered directly from ZL, but I was told this way I'd got the light (even months?) faster.

Even before getting this one, I planned to order H51Fw for my "wife". This frost model may be better in a garage rummage. And stand and side light ability is handy in H-models. I'm not planning to, sorry, I think my wife won't use it in a headband at all. And I like so much the neutral warm tint (although the tint looks a little greenish in a white wall), so I won't go back to the cool.

I prefer a wrist strap (selfmade), so I took off the the pocket clip and lost right away the another screw. The size does not look too general... Now I don't know, what an old device should be dismantled to find a similar screw :mad:

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
Got my new ZebraLight H51w and all I can say is wow!

A few surprises came with this purchase:

1. I think I love neutral tints.
2. ZebraLights UI is simply amazing.
3. It's so small for AA light format.

I also worried about some of the earlier QC issues I had read about; however my example is almost flawless.

The fit and finish... the machining, and quality of workmanship is excellent… it has a very nice solid feel to it for such a small light.

The LED is perfectly centered with a very nice beam, good balance between throw and flood. The neutral tint is really nice, very pleasing to my eye, not too cold or too warm. Anodizing is perfectly finished and color matches perfectly. The heat sinking is smooth with no sharp edges with the added benefit of giving a nice secure grip when holding the light.

It did take me some time to become accustomed to using it as a flashlight, but now that I've have played with it a couple of days, muscle memory has taken over. I like the versatility the H51w offers as either a headlight or flashlight.

There is one fault I have found since I EDC it clipped to my front pocket... and that is the clip. The clip has a nice deep carry and is very nice, but fails in ease of use. It has a design flaw which makes it very difficult to clip to my pocket or anything else for that matter. Hard to explain without pics, but I'll try.

The end of the clip needs to be ½ an inch longer so it sits on the head of the light on the smooth part between the heat sinking, or the end of the clip needs to curve up more in order to catch your pocket so you can clip it, rather than sliding over your pocket and not catching. As it is now, the head of the light is raised higher where it meets the slightly curved end of the clip... negating the small curve on the end of the clip needed to hook whatever your trying to clip it to.

I'm surprised I haven't read anything regarding this issue previously, although I realize this is a new redesigned clip for the H51 series, which otherwise would have been great with either of the two changes I mentioned above.

Bottom line, it's almost impossible to clip to my pocket without having to lift the heavy tension clip one handed away from the body of the light, so I can get it to catch and clip to my pocket. Anyone else having a problem with this, or find a fix?

Aside from that "ONE" nitpick... this is an awesome EDC light, and ZebraLight exceeded my expectations.

Overall I love this light! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

sethistruckin

Newly Enlightened
Got my new ZebraLight H51w and all I can say is wow!

A few surprises came with this purchase:

1. I think I love neutral tints.
2. ZebraLights UI is simply amazing.
3. It's so small for AA light format.

I also worried about some of the earlier QC issues I had read about; however my example is almost flawless.

The fit and finish... the machining, and quality of workmanship is excellent… it has a very nice solid feel to it for such a small light.

The LED is perfectly centered with a very nice beam, good balance between throw and flood. The neutral tint is really nice, very pleasing to my eye, not too cold or too warm. Anodizing is perfectly finished and color matches perfectly. The heat sinking is smooth with no sharp edges with the added benefit of giving a nice secure grip when holding the light.

It did take me some time to become accustomed to using it as a flashlight, but now that I've have played with it a couple of days, muscle memory has taken over. I like the versatility the H51w offers as either a headlight or flashlight.

There is one fault I have found since I EDC it clipped to my front pocket... and that is the clip. The clip has a nice deep carry and is very nice, but fails in ease of use. It has a design flaw which makes it very difficult to clip to my pocket or anything else for that matter. Hard to explain without pics, but I'll try.

The end of the clip needs to be ½ an inch longer so it sits on the head of the light on the smooth part between the heat sinking, or the end of the clip needs to curve up more in order to catch your pocket so you can clip it, rather than sliding over your pocket and not catching. As it is now, the head of the light is raised higher where it meets the slightly curved end of the clip... negating the small curve on the end of the clip needed to hook whatever your trying to clip it to.

I'm surprised I haven't read anything regarding this issue previously, although I realize this is a new redesigned clip for the H51 series, which otherwise would have been great with either of the two changes I mentioned above.

Bottom line, it's almost impossible to clip to my pocket without having to lift the heavy tension clip one handed away from the body of the light, so I can get it to catch and clip to my pocket. Anyone else having a problem with this, or find a fix?

Aside from that "ONE" nitpick... this is an awesome EDC light, and ZebraLight exceeded my expectations.

Overall I love this light! :thumbsup:

I just purchased an H51w also and it is my first ZL. At first, the UI did not agree with me. However I am getting more used to it now (accept for reprogramming the 2nd brightness on high). I also noticed how incredibly small it is. I can see your point regarding the clip, but it does not bother me in my use of the light. I keep it clipped into my front pocket, and maybe take it out once or twice per day. If you are more inclined to be taking it out of your pocket multiple times daily then the clip may become a problem. You almost have to use your fingers to slightly open the clip before you can slide a belt or fabric under the clip.

The tint is a great balance between cool and warm to my eyes. My Mini 123 Warm is much warmer, and also my favorite tint... But the ZL neutral is also very pleasing to my eyes (as long as I am not comparing it to the much warmer Mini 123).

I do not use the light as a headlamp, as I hate strapping things to my head. I clip it to my shirt, just above a button on a button down shirt and angle it down when I need to and it works well. I love that versatility in this light.

coachclass

Newly Enlightened
Regarding the clip on the H51W, is it reversable?

The pictures I see on the ZL website seem to have the clip in an inconvenient position for me. I'd like to clip it so the head sticks out of the pocket with the light body inside the pocket and the clip on the outside of the pocket...if that makes sense?

Someone mentioned that although you can reverse the clip, the fit isn't as good because ZL didn't intend for the clip to be attached that way? Can anyone else expand on that?

Thanks.

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
Regarding the clip on the H51W, is it reversable?

Yes, you can reverse the clip so it is facing in the opposite direction. However it would be awkward because 85% of the light would be sticking outside of your pocket, since the clip is secured very near the bottom of the light.

Its just doesn't look like it's meant to reverse. But I wouldn't want to reverse it anyway. I wouldn't want the switch sticking up making it possible to accidentally activate it every time I put my hand in and out of my pocket.

One of the reasons I decided to go with the H51w was because it doesn't seem to have the problem of accidental activations like the SC51 series does. I don't want to have to take an extra step and lock the tailcap out.

So far I've been carrying my H51w clipped to my front pocket, and I haven't had it turn on once. :party:

Last edited:

sale

Newly Enlightened
I ordered H51Fw directly from Zebralight in Apr.16 and I got it in May 2 (and in this range were also the Easter and May Day). So at this case the shipping didn't last for months.

I just love the H51Fw tint rather than a SC51w. The latter has a slightly greenish tint when projected onto a white wall, while the Fw is white (but not cold). At first I was wondering if I received the neutral white at all. Now I should go to woods at night to clarify what is the nature of flood beam outside.

I also was surprised by the amount of light at close distances, I waited for far less bright flashlight. H-model has the great advantage, the light can be directed better than SC, when the light is standing or lying. This is going to be a gift to my wife. I think I or my wife is not going to use it as a headlamp at all.

Below is a picture of our dark storage room. Distance from the wall is 3 meters, in the middle a white Quadrangle measures 83 x 59 cm (camera f2.8, 1/15 sec, ISO 400, Daylight).

Every light with fresh AA 2400 Imedions (A3: Imedion AAA 950) at max lumens.
Upper row from left: Zebralight SC51w, Zebralight H51Fw
Lower row from left: Xeno E03v2, ITP EOS A3 R5
3-5-2011_x4bc.jpg

Last edited: