Zebralight is going to come out with flashlights! part 2

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey man, what happen to the prototype S5200? They took it off from their website. I was looking forward to that too!

I noticed that too - I'm assuming all the final production of the new headlamp models took too much of their time so they decided to halt r&d.

Flashlike

Enlightened
I ordered a Zebralight SC50 on Feb. 24th. It had the "memory bug" so I contacted ZL and they agreed to send out a replacement. For the replacement I requested an SC50w (warm white) so they sent one out. The replacement arrived and had a perfect tint (nice neutral white) but still had the "memory bug" (would "remember" the low level or sub-level of the low level only but not either of the medium levels).

So I requested another replacement. When that replacement arrived it had a very yellowish tint rather than the nice neutral tint of the first replacement they sent. However, the memory didn't work correctly on it either. So I told them and they agreed to send another replacement. Of course I've had to package up and return the defective flashlight to them each time.

Yesterday the most recent replacement arrived. Believe it or not the memory function does not work as their instructions say it should on this one, either.
Their instructions state:
"Double click at any level to toggle and select between the two sub-levels for that mode. Medium and Low sub-level selections are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes. Strobe selection is not memorized."

I'm beginning to wonder if the memory is only supposed to work on the low level or sub-level of the low level only? Does anyone have either an SC50 or SC50w that will memorize the middle level or it's sub-level?

Anyway, on the most recent replacement the tint is fantastic--a nice "neutral white" but not yellow. The only thing is that this replacement has a bright "pre-flash" whenever you turn it on in the lower modes and none of the others they sent had this pre-flash. The pre-flash only lasts for a split second but it is super bright and about drives me crazy. Does anyone else have the pre-flash problem?

Zebralight will probably cast me off if I complain again (about the memory bug and now the pre-flash) but I'm not very happy about it.

hotlight

Enlightened
I ordered a Zebralight SC50 on Feb. 24th. It had the "memory bug" so I contacted ZL and they agreed to send out a replacement. For the replacement I requested an SC50w (warm white) so they sent one out. The replacement arrived and had a perfect tint (nice neutral white) but still had the "memory bug" (would "remember" the low level or sub-level of the low level only but not either of the medium levels).

So I requested another replacement. When that replacement arrived it had a very yellowish tint rather than the nice neutral tint of the first replacement they sent. However, the memory didn't work correctly on it either. So I told them and they agreed to send another replacement. Of course I've had to package up and return the defective flashlight to them each time.

Yesterday the most recent replacement arrived. Believe it or not the memory function does not work as their instructions say it should on this one, either.
Their instructions state:
"Double click at any level to toggle and select between the two sub-levels for that mode. Medium and Low sub-level selections are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes. Strobe selection is not memorized."

I'm beginning to wonder if the memory is only supposed to work on the low level or sub-level of the low level only? Does anyone have either an SC50 or SC50w that will memorize the middle level or it's sub-level?

Anyway, on the most recent replacement the tint is fantastic--a nice "neutral white" but not yellow. The only thing is that this replacement has a bright "pre-flash" whenever you turn it on in the lower modes and none of the others they sent had this pre-flash. The pre-flash only lasts for a split second but it is super bright and about drives me crazy. Does anyone else have the pre-flash problem?

Zebralight will probably cast me off if I complain again (about the memory bug and now the pre-flash) but I'm not very happy about it.

not sure exactly how the memory is supposed to work. mine only saves the secondary level on ONE mode.(saves low low, but not the lower mode on medium.... saves the lower mode on medium, but then low low is not saved anymore-one or the other, never tried to save "strobe")

I wish I could save low low, and lower medium at the same time, but am sticking with my sc50w(especially after reading about your situation)

no preflash on mine, at least I can't see it right now.

if you send it back again, tell them to make sure everything works. like physically open the package and test the light for correct memory and pre flash.

pae77

Enlightened
not sure exactly how the memory is supposed to work. mine only saves the secondary level on ONE mode.(saves low low, but not the lower mode on medium.... saves the lower mode on medium, but then low low is not saved anymore-one or the other, never tried to save "strobe")

I wish I could save low low, and lower medium at the same time, but am sticking with my sc50w(especially after reading about your situation)

no preflash on mine, at least I can't see it right now.

. . . .
Mine works the same as indicated in the above quote. I'm ok with it and still like the light a lot.

Last edited:

Flashlike

Enlightened
...If you send it back again, tell them to make sure everything works. like physically open the package and test the light for correct memory and pre flash.

hotlight--Yes, I asked them on the last two replacements to test the flashlight before sending it out but apparently they didn't.

Check this out, SC50 Special Pack. They're clearancing the bad UI lights at a discount price plus with some extra goodies. Maybe they just realized that their entire in-house stock is also the bad UI.:oops:

was.lost.but.now.found--I wonder if they just pulled my "replacement" out of the clearance batch?!!

I really like the form factor and UI of this flashlight, and I can get along with the memory saving only the lower setting and it's sub-level but this pre-flash is terrible. It's apparent that ZL is having some quality control issues if they are offering these "clearance packages".

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check this out, SC50 Special Pack. They're clearancing the bad UI lights at a discount price plus with some extra goodies. Maybe they just realized that their entire in-house stock is also the bad UI.:oops:

They only took off $10 for a "memory function not working properly". That's pretty weak even if they do give you an extra clip and silicon holders. I rather spent the $10 and get the fully functional one.

Last edited:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I just pulled the trigger on one of these Special Packs. A cool one. I already have one of the warm versions, (with the faulty memory function) and I don't feel it's that much of a detriment. It will memorize one of the two outputs in either of the two lower modes and that's just fine with me. I can easily get to the other if needed w/ just a couple of clicks. :shrug:

I'm liking my warm ver one the more I use it. I think I'm warming up to it. I wasn't so sure at first. Now I'm curious to find out which one I'll like better when the new cool one arrives.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I just pulled the trigger on one of these Special Packs. A cool one. I already have one of the warm versions, (with the faulty memory function) and I don't feel it's that much of a detriment. It will memorize one of the two outputs in either of the two lower modes and that's just fine with me. I can easily get to the other if needed w/ just a couple of clicks. :shrug:

I'm liking my warm ver one the more I use it. I think I'm warming up to it. I wasn't so sure at first. Now I'm curious to find out which one I'll like better when the new cool one arrives.

I thought they would at least drop $20. Like 4sevens fire-sale.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
You get a lot more than the 4Sevens fire sale - known emitter type, everything normally found in the box plus extras, and most of all a warranty.

But 4sevens lights are not faulty, just blemish (in some case no blemish at all, I recalled seeing a post regarding that matter). Altho they stated "as is", but I think you still can get manufacturer warranty.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
My cool ver Special Pack arrived today. It's about what I expected tint wise as I have two Zebra HL's in cool ver also. The modes work the same as my org warm one, cept the switch clicks easier. After messing with em, I think I prefer the easier feel of the new one. The cool one is noticeably brighter. I like that about it. Also, the lower modes are more neutral white looking. The two lower modes on the warm ver are very yellow in tint. Too yellow for my liking. I'll see how they compare outdoors after dark, but right now, I think I'm gonna like the cool one better overall.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
My cool ver Special Pack arrived today. It's about what I expected tint wise as I have two Zebra HL's in cool ver also. The modes work the same as my org warm one, cept the switch clicks easier. After messing with em, I think I prefer the easier feel of the new one. The cool one is noticeably brighter. I like that about it. Also, the lower modes are more neutral white looking. The two lower modes on the warm ver are very yellow in tint. Too yellow for my liking. I'll see how they compare outdoors after dark, but right now, I think I'm gonna like the cool one better overall.

:thumbsup:

So you are a "cool" guy eh?