Zebralight SC600w Mk III HI - Pocket Thrower

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
I apologize it that explanation sounds confusing. Perhaps some pictures would help?
P1380180_zps8pb2i5cy.jpg

Okay, here you can see from left to right - XHP HI - Mk III cool white - Mk II L2(w) neutral - SC600 Mk I Original cool white. Now let's turn these around and look at the other side...
P1380192_zpsuwzqkegg.jpg

Can you see the difference? These lights are all in the same order, they have just been rotated 180 degrees. The 3 lights on the right, despite their difference in size all maintain virtually the same aspects regarding the positioning of that little nub and its lanyard ring. But not so on the 4th, the one on the left - the Mk III HI. Therein lies the rub! That little nub was moved! And that's why it's feeling different, ergonomically speaking.

On the 3 previous incarnations of the SC600, it was absolutely ergonomic perfection for me and my Pinkie Lanyard. Now, on this HI version, I can only vouch for near perfection - not for absolute perfection, as it was in the past. And, at least, now I can appreciate that there really is a physical reason it feels different and why I have to rotate the light ever so slightly to position my thumb on the switch. It wasn't all in my head, after all!

If you have the High Intensity Mk III and any other SC600 Please compare them and let me know what you find on yours. Is my HI just a fluke? Or are all of the HI's made with this subtle difference regarding that little nub that annoys many and others find useful? I would be curious to hear what you find.

My mk3 hi has the lanyard directly opposite of the zl logo like your other zl's. Very weird. If it bugs you that much, I'm willing to trade. I don't use the lanyard anyways.

Ns0Iq7C.jpg

a3XltwL.jpg

9r3PNXm.jpg

Ok on closer inspection, it is not exactly 180° behind the zl stamp... but close.

Last edited:

mac8175

Newly Enlightened
Ordered mine the other day, will have it this Sunday. I can't wait. It will be my first real flashlight.

PB Wilson

Newly Enlightened
The only place I've found them was on the kid's backpacks.

Do a search for "zipper cord ends" and you'll come up with a zillion places. Isn't the internet great? Aiding and abetting in the demise of our bank accounts...

TheRealSpinner

Newly Enlightened
Trying to decide between this or the MKII. Ugh so hard to decide!

I like the standard III better than the HI. I like the floodier beam, and I can't really make out whatever the light is shining on at full distance with the HI. I'd rather see more of up close.

I don't have any experience with the MK II, though, so can't compare.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Trying to decide between this or the MKII. Ugh so hard to decide!
Get the III or the III HI. Unless you get an amazing deal on the II, the upgrade in output and compactness is totally worth it.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Any kind of outdoor activity begs for the HI. I understand the floodier beam of the standard model is better for hiking, but still, that HI outdoors is a must have (in conjunction with a floodier light or headlamp)

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
For most hiking and outdoor activities I like the HI beam better, I tend to let its hotspot illuminate further down the path, while the spill takes care of my immediate surroundings. I'm able to see more at the same time with the HI than the regular MKIII in that way.

Hiking in the dense forests on the foot of the colorado 14ers is more suited for a floody headlamp, so I'll use that, with the HI as complementary.

I actually didn't mind the warmer tint of the HI as much as I thought I would when using it outside, but it is apparent that it lacks a good bit of deep red, as it has a slight ghastly yellow to it.

Last edited:

Connor

Enlightened
I actually didn't mind the warmer tint of the HI as much as I thought I would when using it outside, but it is apparent that it lacks a good bit of deep red, as it has a slight ghastly yellow to it.

The cold white version lacks even more deep red, though (5 less CRI).

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any kind of outdoor activity begs for the HI. I understand the floodier beam of the standard model is better for hiking, but still, that HI outdoors is a must have (in conjunction with a floodier light or headlamp)
I use the ZebraLight SC600 Mklll XHP35 cool white for my edc, and for distance needs I now have the Manker U21 which is a beefed up version of the subject of this thread. The XHP35Hi on the Manker U21 can put out 124000cd.

The Manker U21 is a larger pocket thrower. :thumbsup:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a head that's nearly 2.4 inches round. :D

The cool white MK3 is actually 10 less CRI than the HI. And honestly, after getting the Jaxman E2 5700k with its 80 R9, I don't think I'll be able to use any other neutral-cool white emitter anymore. If only there was a larger light that had 3 or more of those Nichias in it.

In the meantime I'll wait to see if Vinh doe something with the batch of 5700k 93-95cri XHP-70s he's gotten, or wait for Zebralight's SC600 plus.

There is a fallacy with sunlight mimickers afterall, and that's that even though they might be able to illuminate objects up close very pleasantly, they'll never ever come close to the raw output of the sun when trying to illuminate all of your surroundings outside.

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want that bad, but the UI is an absolute deal breaker for me.
Having more than one flashlight with an electronic switch interface does require more user attention; the electronic switches should have programmable firmware so the end user can dictated what 'long', 'short' or 'double click' results in.

PragmaticMurphyist

Newly Enlightened
It's here and, on first impressions, I'm delighted. Just waiting for night to fall in order to see what it can do. Anodisation perfect, beam great, tint great, love the UI. Compared with my existing EDC Fenix PD22UE it's a smidgen longer, a fair bit thicker but still fine for pocket carry (I habitually wear walking trousers) and twice the lumens on full chat.

Note for UK people ordering from Zebralight - The tracking stopped when it left China and, even now it's been delivered, the Royal Mail have still never heard of it! It took a couple of weeks from shipping to delivery.

Trancersteve

Newly Enlightened
It's here and, on first impressions, I'm delighted. Just waiting for night to fall in order to see what it can do. Anodisation perfect, beam great, tint great, love the UI. Compared with my existing EDC Fenix PD22UE it's a smidgen longer, a fair bit thicker but still fine for pocket carry (I habitually wear walking trousers) and twice the lumens on full chat.

Note for UK people ordering from Zebralight - The tracking stopped when it left China and, even now it's been delivered, the Royal Mail have still never heard of it! It took a couple of weeks from shipping to delivery.

After ordering and cancelling last month, I decided last night to reorder. I was having a hard time accepting that protected cells can't be used. But, I'm ok now. ;)

Am also in the UK. Did you choose the standard delivery? I've gone for EMS delivery, kinda wished I opted for DHL now. I just hope it arrives before next Friday for a trip. It has already shipped... Fingers crossed.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Got mine yesterday. Really like the tint. The beam has great balance of throw and spill. Plenty of both for my use. The Malkoff clip fits great with an Oveready copper spring washer between the battery and tailcap.