Zebralight SC62 (XM-L2, 1x18650) review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

markr6

Flashaholic
How is the tint on the sc62w? Is it a lottery or consistently good?

I've had 3 SC62w now. Tint was all over the place! The one I currently use is pretty good, but not great like my SC52w or SC600w. Of couse, model numbers mean NOTHING. NOTHING at all. It's purely a lottery.

Time doesn't even matter. I know we like to think "I'll wait until the second batch comes for ZL to fix the tint issue." It's been YEARS and my H51w still has one of the nicest tints. So does my SC52w which is fairly new. As far as ZL is concerned, there is no "tint issue". They sell, <1% of the customers complain. Life is good.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tint on all 3 Zebralights I've purchased this year has been good with the SC5w being the best of them and even better than a Nichia 219 IMO. My SC62w is great as well!

recDNA

Flashaholic
I may wait until the 63 comes out to see if the 62 is sold at clearance prices.

markr6

Flashaholic
Tint on all 3 Zebralights I've purchased this year has been good with the SC5w being the best of them and even better than a Nichia 219 IMO. My SC62w is great as well!

Mine have all been horrible :( The SC5 would have been nice, but the purple center dot thing ruined it.

peartree_423

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys what do you think of Zebralight's durability? I want a light that will stand up pretty well to falls from a few feet (like, out of my pocket or something) cause I am planning on possibly using the H32 as my EDC. I am trying to decide if i should go with an Armytek light or a Zebralight light. I like Zebralight's UI, output levels, and runtimes more than Armytek's, but I believe that Armytek has much better durability and warranty. I would rather go with the Zebralight, but I want to make sure it at least has respectable durability. Any thoughts?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
ArmyTek or ZebraLight; the light may fail. Just because the first one looks and feels more durable, if you prefer the user interface of the other... And 10 year warranty claims could be little more than words; kind of like 'Canadian manufacturer'.
ZL has certainly had problems but I've read about their reasonable warranty and $15 repair policy. I say get either one that strikes your fancy, or join the Parade of Lumenadors here, and buy both.

snurblet

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I was thinking of trying the SC62 because my recent SC62w is decent on H1, but becomes overly yellow on other modes (the ones I'd use the most). From your beamshots, it looks like the 62 is on par with the PD35, which is the cool I'm trying to move away from.

Of course, model numbers mean NOTHING. NOTHING at all. It's purely a lottery.

So I'm gathering from reading the forums. Maybe I could get lucky and end up with an overly warm SC62. :)

Life was simpler when all I wanted to do was find things in the dark.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys what do you think of Zebralight's durability? I want a light that will stand up pretty well to falls from a few feet (like, out of my pocket or something) cause I am planning on possibly using the H32 as my EDC. I am trying to decide if i should go with an Armytek light or a Zebralight light. I like Zebralight's UI, output levels, and runtimes more than Armytek's, but I believe that Armytek has much better durability and warranty. I would rather go with the Zebralight, but I want to make sure it at least has respectable durability. Any thoughts?

Their newest lights are potted now which in theory should provide extra durability. My dad just put the SC5w I gave him for an early Fathers Day present on his key ring. So far so good, he drops his keys and stuff a lot so it'll definitely get tested. Anodizing doesn't even have a scratch yet after almost 2 weeks on his keychain.

thburns

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the great review! It's one of the ones that really convinced me to grab an SC62w, especially with how much I already love my SC52w.

This is my first Li-ion light, and I have it on the way alongside a Nitecore MH-20 so I ended up getting a Nitecore D2 charger bundle that came with two Nitecore NL-189 batteries. Someone mentioned in a thread I posted on another forum that the NL-189 batteries might not fit in the SC62w without stripping the label off (which I'm sure I won't be comfortable doing). In a panic and just to ensure I have the best starting experience, I just ordered a couple of ZebraLight 18650 batteries for the SC62w.

My question for all the SC62w owners out there is what batteries do you use in it? My also question, which I think I've already confirmed by seeing an answer in numerous other threads is, should I go get myself a multimeter right away since these are my first Li-ion lights?

Thanks again for the review!

override666666

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the great review! It's one of the ones that really convinced me to grab an SC62w, especially with how much I already love my SC52w.

This is my first Li-ion light, and I have it on the way alongside a Nitecore MH-20 so I ended up getting a Nitecore D2 charger bundle that came with two Nitecore NL-189 batteries. Someone mentioned in a thread I posted on another forum that the NL-189 batteries might not fit in the SC62w without stripping the label off (which I'm sure I won't be comfortable doing). In a panic and just to ensure I have the best starting experience, I just ordered a couple of ZebraLight 18650 batteries for the SC62w.

My question for all the SC62w owners out there is what batteries do you use in it? My also question, which I think I've already confirmed by seeing an answer in numerous other threads is, should I go get myself a multimeter right away since these are my first Li-ion lights?

Thanks again for the review!
c0e835483f62a9302151993efee99485.jpg

Im using keeppower 3200 mah, olight 3400 will fit but its a tad bit longer than the keeppower. Dont worry, new batches has bigger battery tube than the old one's. Pic above is sc600w mk2 l2 and sc62w, both with keeppwer 3200mah.

markr6

Flashaholic
I use NCR18650B and they fit just fine.

That's a good choice. No need for protection, especially in this light. I don't use protected in any light anymore. Crushing springs annoys the hell out of me, even if it doesn't hurt anything.

thburns

Newly Enlightened
Interesting! Sounds like there's a wide array that people use. I've heard KeepPowers, EagleTacs, and NCR18650Bs now :D I guess if the actual ZL batteries don't fit (or the Nitecore NL189s that I have), then I have a solid lineup of other options to try.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Do flat top protected AW fit and work or do I need button top? How about AW IMR 18650? Thanks.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Do flat top protected AW fit and work or do I need button top? How about AW IMR 18650? Thanks.
IMR cells should never be a fit issue in any light, as as they are shorter (due to the lack of protection circuitry), and typically thinner too. My AW protected 3100mAh (flat-tops) fit comfortably and work well in my PD62.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Thanks. AW is the only brand I trust. Unprotected ICR scare the hell out of me but I've had quality brand protected battery vent once too so I guess it is a crap shoot.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. AW is the only brand I trust. Unprotected ICR scare the hell out of me but I've had quality brand protected battery vent once too so I guess it is a crap shoot.

Doesn't this light already have low-voltage protection built-in? What is using a protected battery getting you? The light isn't going to short the cell, or drive it harder than allowed, or run the voltage too low. Isn't that all that battery protection is giving you?

I suppose a protected battery also gives you protection from a charger that goes crazy, but I wouldn't leave lithium-ion chargers unattended whether charging protected or unprotected batteries.

So, can't you just use a regular flat-top unprotected Panasonic 18650? That's what AW uses as the cell, isn't it?

markr6

Flashaholic
It's up to the user, but I am totally over protected cells. Period. Especially in Zebralights. I still like naked button tops because the slight increase in length plus the clear wrapper makes it a bit thicker so there is ZERO battery rattle, even when setting it down to tapping it against something. All without over-stressing the spring with the extra length of a protected cell. Perfect.