Zebralights ui

Strintguy

Enlightened
After a short learning time, the ZL UI makes me wish my other lights had access to ML and High so easily from off

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
As an EDC I like the UI of my Olight S1 better

I don't know if I like it better than ZebraLight's UI, but I certainly like the Olight S1 interface just as much.

Olight was wise to take Moonlight mode off the main sequence. The S1 interface gives you shortcuts from off for Moonlight and High modes. Once on, you can also press-and-hold to cycle through Low, Medium, and High modes.

Here is a link the table I made describing the interface of the Olight S1 Baton.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ZebraLight user interface is actually quite straightforward. I must confess, however, I have seem some pretty confusing explanations of it.

Here is my streamlined description, taken from a previous post.

From off:

1 click = hi
2 clicks = med
3 clicks = strobe/beacon
4 clicks = battery check
Press & hold (momentarily) = low
Press & hold (longer) = cycle: low, med, hi, repeat

Once on:

1 click = off
2 clicks = switch to an alternate for the mode you are in (low, med, hi, strobe)
Press & hold = cycle: low, med, hi, repeat

The alternate modes you select when the flashlight is on will be memorized. If you select an alternate low mode, for instance, the next time you go to low, your alternate will be used. Ditto for med, hi, and strobe.

Programming the alternate modes:

In any of the constant brightness modes (low, med, hi), double-click 6 times (i.e., click 12 times fast). After that, double-click some more to cycle through the available alternates. When you see one that you like, click once to select it. This will also turn off the flashlight.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if I like it better than ZebraLight's UI, but I certainly like the Olight S1 interface just as much.

Olight was wise to take Moonlight mode off the main sequence. The S1 interface gives you shortcuts from off for Moonlight and High modes. Once on, you can also press-and-hold to cycle through Low, Medium, and High modes.

Here is a link the table I made describing the interface of the Olight S1 Baton.

The S1 interface works better for me but UI is always subjective to the individual.I basically use the S1 as a 3 mode light from off using moonlight,medium and high,all modes I can access from off reliably.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ZebraLight user interface is actually quite straightforward. I must confess, however, I have seem some pretty confusing explanations of it.

Here is my streamlined description, taken from a previous post.

From off:

1 click = hi
2 clicks = med
3 clicks = strobe/beacon
4 clicks = battery check
Press & hold (momentarily) = low
Press & hold (longer) = cycle: low, med, hi, repeat

Once on:

1 click = off
2 clicks = switch to an alternate for the mode you are in (low, med, hi, strobe)
Press & hold = cycle: low, med, hi, repeat

The alternate modes you select when the flashlight is on will be memorized. If you select an alternate low mode, for instance, the next time you go to low, your alternate will be used. Ditto for med, hi, and strobe.

Programming the alternate modes:

In any of the constant brightness modes (low, med, hi), double-click 6 times (i.e., click 12 times fast). After that, double-click some more to cycle through the available alternates. When you see one that you like, click once to select it. This will also turn off the flashlight.

Hope this helps.

Nice explanation! The press and hold momentarily for low is what doesn't work well for me.I probably need to look into the alternate modes but I always suspect these lights will go back to default at some point in time.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The press and hold momentarily for low is what doesn't work well for me.

This is one place where ZebraLight could take a cue from Olight. Most ZL owners would probably like the UI better if press-and-hold from off—no matter how long—took you to Low mode. That's how the S1 works.

After the ZebraLight is on, press-and-hold should cycle through the modes of the main sequence: Low, Medium, and High. From off, however, only Low mode should be reachable with a press-and-hold. Again, that is exactly how the S1 behaves.

LATE CORRECTION: In the Olight S1, a press-and-hold from off takes you to Moonlight mode. It does not take you to Low. When the S1 is on, its Moonlight mode is inaccessible. Press-and-hold cycles through the main sequence: Low, Medium, and High. Moonlight mode is not on the main sequence.

None of this, however, changes my main point. ZebraLight should consider changing the way press-and-hold behaves when a flashlight is off.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is one place where ZebraLight could take a cue from Olight. Most ZL owners would probably like the UI better if press-and-hold from off—no matter how long—took you to Low mode. That's how the S1 works.

After the ZebraLight is on, press-and-hold should cycle through the modes of the main sequence: Low, Medium, and High. From off, however, only Low mode should be reachable with a press-and-hold. Again, that is exactly how the S1 behaves.

Couldn't agree more !

kkay

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a edc. Really looking for a cr123 simply because I can get them free at work and they are common. The 18650s are not common. Looking at the sc32 zebralight

I like the fact it is so feature packed but the UI seems clunky. How is it in everyday use? Also how is this brands reliability/customer service
I have the SC32w, and love it. I use it everyday. I have not had to contact customer service, so I can't tell you about that. At first I thought the light was a bit small, but I got used to it. Now I prefer it. It easily fits into my pocket. I wouldn't mind having another one just like it!

markr6

Flashaholic
My god I HATE THAT STUPID OLIGHT UI! I have an S1 and I never use it. Constantly standing there waiting for the thing to cycle thru modes. SLOW as hell. If ZL ever does that, I'm done for sure.

Is it just me or is holding and starting a ZL in low the easiest thing ever? Maybe I just have amazing timing/reaction skills and should have been a drag car racer?

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The secret to the Olight interface is to use the shortcuts. When you activate High mode that way, it is not placed in mode memory. Therefore, you can set either Low or Medium mode, and use mode memory to get to that mode from off. Moonlight and High modes can be reached from off, respectively, by a long press or a double-click.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it just me or is holding and starting a ZL in low the easiest thing ever? Maybe I just have amazing timing/reaction skills and should have been a drag car racer?

No UI is perfect but ZL comes closest for me.

Reliable
6 Useful modes (all are used regularly)
easily (reasonably quickly) accessible.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thoughtful UI and I understand why folks love it, but I'm not a fan. I prefer a light that is simpler to get to low, than it is to get to high, and it is one of the slowest to execute my most often used mode switching sequence (Low>Max>Low). One of my 2 ZLs UIs has become possessed after light use (first/only real flashlight failure for me) and I've just had bad overall experiences with most of my electronic clicky lights. HDS the exception (fabulous light/UI) but I still always grab a Chinese mechanical clicky when lighting really counts.

tops2

Enlightened
SC600 mkiii would be my EDC if I were feeling ok about carrying a $100 light every day... favorite UI for sure. As it is i carry either a R16vn if I will be out in the dark, or one of a couple of smaller things for a normal work day (indoor, closer-up needs).

:nana:
The last time I traveled, I debated whether I wanted to bring my Zebralight along. I would miss it if I didn't bring it along. But I didn't want to take the chance of it being lost (misplaced, stolen, confiscated at the airport).

About the Olight S1 interface, I like it too and think its close enough to the Zebralight. I like how moonlight isn't in the main mode, and like how moonlight and turbo isn't memorized. I kind of use it like a "simplified" 3 mode light:
From off:
Single click to M (memorized level)
Long press for moonlight
Double click for turbo

I used to blast myself from time to time trying to activate L on my Zebralight. But not sure what they can do about that without messing up the current UI. A long press from off to go into and stay in L is nice when you want to get to L. But to prevent the "preflash" going into M, I do the long press and let go when it goes to M instead of double clicking from off. I'll miss this ability if the long press from off only goes to L.

Blasting myself with strobe only happens occasionally now when I don't have the patience to deliberately select the modes I want to. lol..

But after getting used to the Zebralight UI (which I love), it makes going to most other lights I own a hassle to use. Especially on lights with more than 3 modes and no shortcut to any modes. And on my lights with 5 modes..boy I get tired of cycling though the modes. And on one of my lights with 5 levels, 2 of the levels look so similar that I always forget what level I'm on..so when I want to return to a lower level, sometimes I'll overshoot and have to scroll again.

Last edited:

Latest posts