UV Led light

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, this might seem pretty basic to some, but here goes. UV light is used to show bodily fluids from what I understand, does this work with animals also? We just moved into a new house, new to us, and the previous owner had a dog, and I swear I smell dog urine somewhere in part of the house, but cannot track it down. I have cleaned all the carpets, but still smell it from somewhere. Would a UV light show this? If so how do you use them, do you need special goggles aslo or is it visible to the naked eye when using the UV light.

Thanks in advance.

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
under UV lighting, animal "accidents" glow whitish-yellow....

we have a mutt that's getting on in years, sadly, she's developed a small "leaking" problem, it was depressing looking at the carpet in the TV room even after it had been "professionally" cleaned, there were still faint yellow "accident" spots visible

and free advice, whatever you do, *do not* use a black light in a bathroom, unless you have a strong stomach....

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
MacTech said:
and free advice, whatever you do, *do not* use a black light in a bathroom, unless you have a strong stomach....

Or a clean bathroom... our bathroom generally looks very respectable but many bathrooms in homes occupied only by single men... uh... yeah... just don't try it!

To the original question, I can't personally make claims about dog urine, but cat urine shows up under UV but kind of like MacTech said... you might be in for a very rude awakening if looking for 'traces' with a UV or blacklight. You might find out that those little traces you have are actually on about 10% or more of your carpet!

xenopus

Newly Enlightened
Lee1959 said:
Ok, this might seem pretty basic to some, but here goes. UV light is used to show bodily fluids from what I understand, does this work with animals also? We just moved into a new house, new to us, and the previous owner had a dog, and I swear I smell dog urine somewhere in part of the house, but cannot track it down. I have cleaned all the carpets, but still smell it from somewhere. Would a UV light show this? If so how do you use them, do you need special goggles aslo or is it visible to the naked eye when using the UV light.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you'll be able to find it with UV -- as others have mentioned, even after a cleaning, dog urine stains can show up. Usually this gets the individual who just paid for the cleaning rather upset, in my experience :)

Piers