Questions about a Brinkman i've had for awhile

lordsaryon

Newly Enlightened
I picked this brinkman up about 1.5 years ago, way before I knew about CPF. Has anyone had any interaction with this light? Any "drop-ins" or otherwise available for it? ( I did a search, but did not see any of these lights in any prictures, and don't really know the name of it, so I cannot search on anything other than Brinkman)

692305Lrg.jpg

It's a nice little light, but doesn't seem to have much power. I haven't really dug into it other than taking the plastic lens off, and seeing that it pretty much looks like a super-bright white LED.

Last edited:

h_nu

Enlightened
It's the Rebel. It's available for about $15 at Wal-Mart.

Be careful, the rear switch is fragile. I have no mod skill so I just put Lithium batteries in it and leave it in the kitchen cabinet. It'll be ready for a power outage.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
It has the same internals as the Brinkmann Long Life. It has an increadable runtime.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one of these, but it is MIA. I didn't care for the super round moon type beam so I took the bezel off, removed the little partial convex lens and replaced it with a Mag lens I very crudely cut and sanded down the edges of to fit. Makes a very nice wide beam, much more useable than the stock one in my opinion.

As far as mods, it's been a while since I looked at it, but I think it's soldered in place. I think you could remove the stock LED and replace it with a 35k LED from KevinL. The Nichia CS would be another option but on 2 cells, I prefer the 35k LEDs personally. I think you would need to take care as to the length of the leads to the LED in order to maintain proper focus.

lordsaryon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback guys, I agree, I don't much like the spot it creates, it's got quite a bit of spill, and it's got two lines from the outer most edge of the spot to the inside of the spot. I'm not sure what's causing it, but it's quite annoying. Thanks for the ideas, and I may look to see if I can get a lens for it to replace that horrid plastic lens.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I just ran the light without the lens or bezel in place at all for quite a while. It makes the spill beam even larger as it doesn't block the last .5" or so of the beam. Of course, I wouldn't want to drop it in water without the bezel on...

DigMe

Enlightened
I have one. It's pretty cheap feeling. I've always kind of thought of it as a shite-light but I guess ever light has its uses. This one does indeed have a long runtime but a pretty crappy beam for my uses.

brad cook