Crazy time travel question....

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Lets say that time travel was possible, and you woke up one morning feeling particularly evil...

you decide to go back in time to the day before Edison invents the light bulb, you can take *one* flashlight with you, and nothing else (aside from the clothes you are wearing) and you will return to the present 48 hours later

what flashlight do you bring? it must be a flashlight you actually *own*, not one you wish you owned

final question, how do you think that flashlight will change the course of illumination technology...

i'd have a hard time deciding wheter to take my Inova X0 or my SureFire 6P, with the 6P, Edison would at least be familiar with the basic technology (filament incandescent bulb), but he'd probably be floored by the performance

an LED based light would be tougher to explain (heck, *I* don't even know how they work, probably a tiny demon inside the bulb that gets angry when an electric current is applied to his feet.... ;) ) and probably more impressive, in that a large amount of light is being produced from a tiny "bulb" that draws almost no power and runs for a long time....

so what flashlight would you take to "blow Edison's mind"

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Would not take any light that you couldn't hide in my pockets. Remember that one man's technology is another man's magic! They burned witches.

My answer to these kind of time travel questions is that nothing that you do in the past will change the future. You are the sum of everything that has happened in your past.

Arkayne

Enlightened
oh party pooper Roy :p j/k

I'd take my only light, A2. This light impressed me the first time I saw it. I'm pretty sure I'll be burned at the stake for showing it.

How would it change history? Hmmm, maybe the ordinary disrupter ray/keychain would be banned in California by now. But not in Texas. lol

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread MacTech!

I would take a handcrank light. That way you could show Edison solid state circuitry, energy generation and storage tech, and plastic!

kelmo

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the crank one, that way incase batteries havent been invented, your covered.

Truthfully, many people have invented the same thing, its the person who makes it to the patent office to make it legal, secures funding to get it brought to market.

THey had light long before the light or led. They use candles, fire, gas, fuel lamps and maybe a few others i have omitted.