Here's a neat thought for the Fenix. (Optic)

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 19.7mm NX05 or Fraen optic a little doctored with a dremel tool would drop right in the Fenix L1P. How cool would that be? A nice tight narrow beam out of such a little package! I can't wait to get my optics from Photonfanatic. I'll keep everyone posted as to how it turns out, unless someone beats me to it.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fraen might be interesting as a throw monster, but I don't think the NX-05 will yield much of a difference over the reflector.

IMHO it's hard to beat a decent reflector, and I don't much care for optics since the reflectors have come on the scene in the recent past. I can remember being so excited when the IMS reflectors first came out. With those, and the high quality "McR" reflectors from McGizmo, I think the optics have been eclipsed...

Peter

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are reflectors more effecient? My thought is to get more throw out of such a little guy. Otherwise it requires a reflector that is much too deep for the Fenix.

LitFuse said:
The Fraen might be interesting as a throw monster, but I don't think the NX-05 will yield much of a difference over the reflector.

IMHO it's hard to beat a decent reflector, and I don't much care for optics since the reflectors have come on the scene in the recent past. I can remember being so excited when the IMS reflectors first came out. With those, and the high quality "McR" reflectors from McGizmo, I think the optics have been eclipsed...

Peter

Last edited:

MrBadger

Newly Enlightened
I like the beam of the Fenix in it's stock form. It has just about the perfect amount of throw vs spill vs flood.

My $0.02

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
MrBadger said:
I like the beam of the Fenix in it's stock form. It has just about the perfect amount of throw vs spill vs flood.

My $0.02

I just want more throw, I think it really depends on what you want out of your EDC. The stock Fenix doesn't cut the night at a distance how I would like it too.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the fraen would be tighter. Maybe. The Fenix throws pretty good for what size it has, and does so with such a smooth artifact free beam and great spot/spill.

You won't have any side-spill with the fraen optic btw.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
Maybe the fraen would be tighter. Maybe. The Fenix throws pretty good for what size it has, and does so with such a smooth artifact free beam and great spot/spill.

You won't have any side-spill with the fraen optic btw.

I know. Have to see how it pans out. I may hate it, don't know.