Anyone have experance with a LED Lenser V2?

Navck

Enlightened
Yes, its a horrid light, I know. But its quite bright for an AAA light and actually can outshine an Luxeon 1 sometimes.. Anyways, one of the LEDs (2) will flicker. This only happens when my NIMHs are enough (Not 1.0 volt mark). Anyways, one of the LEDs will flicker at an highly annoying frequency, slowing down as the battery depletes, and go dead. Then the next LED starts flickering at a 3x a second rate. When I drain the batterys to some point, all the flickering stops and the LEDs are fine... When I recharge and replace... Flickering! Anyone know how I can fix this? I have no idea how I can access the head innards..

Kiessling

Flashaholic
As there are about a dozen V2 LedLensers (different versions) you'd want to specify which one exactly you have.
You might talk about the V²-Series which are quite different and use 3xAAA batteries in a holder in some combinations?

V2-Series:
ll_v2_series.jpg

V²-Series:
ll_vquadrat_579.jpg

bernie

swissbianco

Newly Enlightened
funny i have had the same experience!! buy that light last june and use it gently by camping. then back on swiss storage it. then it was winter coming and dark and i want use it again and it start flickering around and it was not that bright anymore, with new quality batteries!

got today an replacement light directly from usa, free but they did wrong custom declaration ad i have to pay $15 custom:ohgeez: as i mentioned that on germany, head of led lenser, i now them for years, no nice comments!

sure that is and was the last led lenser coast cutlery zweibrüder thing i ever buy with all the hassle. and after talking with others im not alone!

on that forum are so many nice strong lights around i sure dont buy chinese junk again. over the years you lern:thinking:

Meduza

Enlightened
Actually i love the design of my V2 Triplex that i am EDCing right now...

it is just so nice, the right size and about the right brightness that is suitable for the close-up works.

if it only used a normal kind of batterys and was water and dust proof then it would be perfect :)

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Digi-Tac I (aka David 15). Nice AA 1.2 watt. Decent hot spot but it is a hot spot only due to the optic design/size. I like the size, about 10mm longer than the Fenix 1LP that I also Like. The Fenix has more flood due to the reflector design. No knocks on either design, different approaches only.

The Digi-Tac started to flicker and not light unless I played with the threads. I'm used to that from the old days with my Mini Mags being carried in a none too clean environment. I gave it a good cleaning with DetoxIT and then a shot of ProGold and it has not flickered in the few days since. Before I scrubbed the threads with a toothbrush and Isopropyl alcohol.

I've got some of the others and except for the underbright Mini-Moon's led they have been fine. My fave is the Recon with the white/red/blue/green selections but the Digi-Tac is coming close.

Some of the odd battery choice lights they sell leave me uninspired. that and I wish they covered the optic with a protective lens as it gets dusty and grimy quickly when used in the "real world".

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Navck said:
Cleaned contacts, no luck
I was fortunate enought to satisfy my desire to own that same light green and white LEDS! I thought it would be my end all EDC light. aside from the fact that it is WOEFULLY underpowered, reliability issues have plagued most of my LED LENSER experiences, I had the switch malfunction. on off green white didnt work etc. The nice folks at qualityitemsonline did exchange it for one that works, but it sits in my drawer as a "queen" a great concept, but not up to expectations.
I would, when I get the confidence to discuss lights with that luminary living legend, "Mr Bulk", and $$$, I would ask for a Lion Cub with green and white LEDS
LUXIII /LuxI combos????:devil:

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
I had that one in black that's in the last photo that Bernie put up. Got rid of it almost immediately. It does look interesting though. . .for its size.

OddOne

Enlightened
I got a preproduction V2 3w 2x123 for review, and thought it was a decent mid-grade light. I thought it was rather well-machined and beam quality was excellent, but also thought that it really needed at least SOME semblance of water-resistance (there are -no- seals on it) and for it to get into the high-end category it needed regulation.

I modded it to solve all but one of what I thought were its shortcomings: I replaced the turned-down optic (which looked to me to be a Fraen narrowbeam) with a IMS reflector, added a sapphire watch crystal to serve as a bezel, and mounted a Downboy 1000 into the light to regulate the LED. The resulting hybrid V2 is my EDC.

My assessment on it is that for a basic easy-to-find (in many areas) light to introduce someone to the world of LED illumination, LED Lenser makes great lights. However, for not much more $ you can get a regulated 3w LED based light with some O-rings in it.

oO

L.E.D.

Enlightened
I have the David 15 as well, though I think it's more similar to the Vee-'squared' series rather than Vee Two. Whiter than my Fenix, just about as bright, double the runtime with flatter output throughout the battery life, nicer positive clickie. Clickie on my Fenix is starting to flicker a bit (cleaned threads and it still didn't clear up) whereas the David clickie is still functioning perfectly, it started to fluctuate a bit (but not flicker) then I cleaned the threads on the tailcap, the tail, the bezel, and the bezel end of the battery case and that cleared it up. Water resistance is questionable, though, unlike the Fenix whose case iss definitely watertight. Yes nicer throw and has a spillbeam, but the David lights up more area with its 'hotspot', depends on the needs of the user. Both great lights for the money, different things to be liked about each one, I like L1P's throw and spill, but I like the David's longer runtime with flatter output and positive clickie.

Last edited: