• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McLuxIII-T (titanium) **SOLD**

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

I had set a target of posting these before Christmas but this is pretty silly! :) :shrug:

I had 50 sets of McLuxIII-T's machined and will likely sell around 30 or 35 of them. At present, it seems I have about 24 left to offer here on CPF. :eek: Some have already gone to friends and family and I am holding on to a few for host to future LED's and ideas. These were real expensive and the raw material is continuing to go up in price. :green: I am glad I got them machined when I did and if I don't sell any of these, I will at least have my own quiver of Ti lights to play with!! :D

LightEngine.jpg

I bought some TY0H LED's specifically for these lights and that is what I am offering in them as turn key builds. I have a handfull complete and ready to ship out and I have the balance of the heat sinks with TY0H LED's already mounted and it is just a matter of time and more converter boards for me to finish building the rest. I am not offering any custom builds with these and I want to be clear about what the specs for the lights being sold are.

The good news is that this design uses a removable aluminum heat sink and one unscrews the clamping screw that holds the converter and heat sink clamped on either side of an internal bulkhead ring and unsolders the LED leads and the light is completely stripped down. I have a good number of extra heat sinks and will send a spare or two along with the light if one so requests. The TY0H LED's are jokers and the McR-20 reflectors in these lights have a focal point above the image of the LED. What this means is that the beam is slightly out of focus and a bit more divergent. There is also more light in the corona than a beam comparison with a McR-20 and non joker LED. I personally prefer this beam but it is at the expense of Lux readings and ultimate throw. I have new McR-20-J reflectors coming in at the end of Jan and these will be available from the Shoppe in Feb sometime. If someone wants, they can pick up a McR-20 for their McLuxIII-T and go for a tighter beam. If I still have some of these left then, I will possibly offer the choice of reflector then. There is a strong possibility that I will get some new heat sinks made later on that will host the K2 in this geometry used here and one could do an exchange with a K2. I don't expect the K2 to be a brighter LED at least initially but its greater capacity in terms of elevated temperatures and thermal resiliance makes it a good candidate for a titanium light me thinks.

I have placed some additional information on a web page HERE and included is a thermal study which leads me to believe that the McLuxIII-T will be just fine in most applications and it is only in extreme ambient heat where I would be concerned.

The McLuxIII-T is not a PD and it only has the twisty control of low and high levels of output. It does not have momentary access to the two levels. With the two seals and points of entry in this light protected as they are and with the sapphire window, I expect that the McLuxIII-T can take a fair amount of abuse and should fair well in a submerged or presurized atmosphere. Obviously the head to battery tube O-ring and sealing surfaces need to be cleaned and maintained to insure a good seal. If my personal EDC is any indication, the Ti threads and such will require a fair amount of breaking in to get as smooth or should I say easy to turn as one might like. The threads are smooth from the start but you do need to torque the components. You can drop down a size or two in O-ring if you prefer but understand that you are moving away from a great seal to one that may be only rain or shallow water proof.

Line-Up.jpg

Above, you can see the McLuxIII-T next to its PD kin. You can see the lack of piston in the tail.

Since taking the picture of the line up, I have sourced some Ti button head screws so the T will have titanimu fasteners holding the Ti clip on the battery tube. I am using Arctic Ceramic grease for bedding the heat sink into its Ti seat and I am using Krytox grease/lube for the head/ tube O-ring. These lights have the Wiz2x2 rev8 converter in them and this latest revision of driver has some flea spec resistors for setting the current levels. I am getting these boards from Wayne already set to run at 20 mA low and 525 mA high as target levels. After doing a thermal study at both 400 mA as well as 550 mA and with a less efficient LED (higher Vf) I decided that the TY0H LED's can be driven at the 525 and with the 20 mm reflector, this is a real sweet spot for beam density based on flux, IMHO.

The McLuxIII-T is a pretty simple and straight forward light with a price that will be un reconcilable for most of you. On the other hand, it is likely that some of you are like me when it comes to Ti and are willing to pay the price. :) The way I look at it, I could spend more on a fine writting pen than this light goes for but my hand writing would not improve one bit and it will be just as illegible had I used a $5 pen. At least this light will provide better illumination than a $5 flashlight! :nana: If you have any reservations at all regarding one of these lights, just let them pass and hang on to your bucks!

The McLuxIII-T is selling for $380 and the price includes Priority mail or Global Priority Mail as well as PP fees. There are no custom or add on options being offered and please don't ask. I will provide additional heat sinks at $15 ea. if you want the option of changing out a LED down the road without destroying the one that comes with the light. (I am heavily engaged in some contract work for a few other flashlight manufacturers between now and when I will disappear to Maui in the end of Feb so I am not open to any custom requests at present. I want to continue to be able to turn around PD orders in a timely fashion and there are some 27LT's that I am hoping to be able to build in the next couple months.)

If you want one of these, feel free to state so here for backup but I will process your order if and when I receive an E-mail from you with your stated request for one of the McLuxIII-T's along with your mailing address. I request paypal payment from you after you receive notification of postage on your light and not before! The CM who makes the converters has been real busy and I am getting small trickles of units in. I have converters for about half of these at present.

Well thanks for looking and happy holidays to all of you!!! :D If you have any questions, please ask them here and not in PM's if possible. :eek:

angled-leather.jpg

Last edited:

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: McLuxIII-T (titanium) Limited Sale

Beautiful light! Form and function! :drool:

You've done an incredible job. These should go fast.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast

E-mail sent.

mut

I forgot to ask. Will the regular PD bodies work with the Ti head and vice versa?

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Mut,
Good question and thanks for bringing it up! I tweaked the seams and overlap on the McLuxIII-T with little regard for compatability and as a result, there is only partial compatibility. The PD's head will not digest far enough in the T's body to come on. The titanium head though will work in the PD body. I basically designed the T as a stand alone and refined some aspects from the PD. I have left the modularity to the Aleph system. :)

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don,

Is the led easy to center on the heat sink if I decide to just swap out the led on the existing heatsink instead of buying another one?

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Don...

Email sent for a McLux III-T, plus an additional heat sink.

Thanks!

:)

CLHC

Flashaholic

That is a REALLY nice piece of work there Don! I got to play with it some at the Bay Area get together. I really like it as much as I like the Chromed McLux.III.PD that I'm glad to have. It'll make a nice complement for it, I feel. . .

Enjoy!

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi guys,
I will attempt to get those ordered and with mailing address provided in the postal drop box before I retire for the eve or I guess now it's Christmas Day! :D Merry Christmas!

Billson, You can cook the existing LED off the heat sink and it is milled in such a manner that centering is very easy.

alauda

Enlightened

PM sent for

1x McLuxIII-T
3x additional heat sinks.

It's a xmas present to myself !!

Happy Xmas to you all.

The E-mail for an order was sent.

Thank you.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am dying to get one of these Don but, it is just impossible for me with all my other commitments, try as I might! Great light and enjoy the Holidays!

Karl

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*

Kiessling said:
Order sent ! :D Finally !!!

Sponsored by :santa: ...

bernie

Very nice choice Bernie ;) I'll tell you as soon as mine arrived in France....Because you've got yours generally some times later ;)

Don, it's another well made flashlight in my McGizmo collection, I hope it will not the last one from you :)

Have all, guys, an enlightened merry christmas :santa:

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Pascal ... forget it! :nana:
Mine will be here earlier this time! Justice demands it! :)
bernie