Two stage with lockout?

NFW

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a 2xAA or smaller (2x123 is OK) LED light with two stage output, and a twist lockout. Throw isn't too important, anything 1W or more will probably be sufficient. This light will live in a bag of tools, so I need low enough light for close-up use, and bright enough light for finding dropped nuts and bolts. And I want to be able to turn it off and put it back in the bag without any worry that it will turn back on while I'm moving things around.

I already have a Nuwai 301X-3 in this role, and it would be perfect if it had lockout.... http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm301x3.htm I just worry that one day I'm going to turn it on while shuffling things around in my trunk. Murphy's Law, you know...

The only two-stage-with-lockout LED light I know if is the Aleph but I'm hoping to find something cheaper. (I'm having enough trouble justifying the Aleph I already bought, I can't get a second!)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The Aleph tailcaps do not lockout, you'd need to "lockout" the head for this. :caution:

HD45 fits your description, but isn't cheap either.

bernie

GWC3

Newly Enlightened
you might do what I do, which is put the light in a pouch/holster in my car gear bag. highly unlikely it will accidently turn on if you have the right pouch fit.

NFW

Newly Enlightened
Tail vs. head lockout doesn't really matter to me, as long as there's some way to lock it out.

I thought about using a pouch or holster, but would prefer to solve the problem with a better switch if possible. That's still plan B though. :)

Thanks!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yepp. SF A2 and L2 as well as L1 fit the bill, but the L1 would be a bit on the dim side I guess.
The others are a bit cheaper than the Aleph though :D

The SF U2 is a 6-stage with a lockout-clicky, but $$$$$ :sick2:

bernie

wwglen

Enlightened
Fenix L1P or L2P with the 2-Stage switch mod.

After the mod the switch determins the brightness level and the lockout function of either the head OR tail becoms the on/off switch.

wwglen

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Slightly O.T. but I had to hold "school" for the lockout function for 16 non-flashaholic recipiants of L1ps at work last week. :D

Larry

NFW

Newly Enlightened
I realize there are a few lights for over $100 that have what I'm looking for. :)

But given that light with lockout can be had for $35 (Inova X5) and a light with a two-stage switch can be had for $45 (Nuwai 301X-3), I was hoping that a light with both can be had for under a hundred bucks. The L2 costs $165 - twice as much as the other two combined. The A2 costs even more.

I'll look into the Fenix mod...

Kiessling

Flashaholic
You can get those lights significantly cheaper on B/S/T here!

And it would also depend on output ... the Inove X5T is a great light, but does not offer regulation and isn't all that bright and does not offer 2-stage output ... and of course it can be cheaper then.
Maybe defining your brightness needs could lower the price significantly!

bernie

EDIT: one great and seldom mentioned advantage of the A2 is that it offers a "variable beam" ... the LEDs for close-up are flood and the incan has a throwing spot (and is regulated, which is pretty cool!). The more I use my A2, the more I value this feature.

Last edited: