Any 3w lights designed for 14500 batteries?

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Customs included.

I recently got an HDS 42XR, and I love it, but it's not "perfect". I carry in my pocket (clipped), and the diameter is a bit fat (although managable). I was thinking that I'd prefer a thinner light, even if it's longer. The knife in my other pocket is usually 5-5.5" closed, so I'm used to having length in my pocket (no dirty jokes, please).

I think the perfect light for myself would be like an HDS or McLux PD, but that uses AA sized 14500 batteries (or something similar). Same voltage, similar (if not more) capacity as an R123, but slimmer. Plus, you'd have the added benifit of being able to use regular AA batteries in a pinch, even if it's at a dimmer output.

Are there any lights that fit this criteria? Something Fenix L1 or Inova X1 sized. A pocket clip, or at least the ability to add one is a must. And at least 2 levels of output. 40+ lumens.

On a side note, is it possible to use the regulation circuitry from a Fenix L2P in an L1P? It wouldn't be "perfect", but it'd be close. I've been thinking of having someone add a clip to my L1P, but if I could regulate it further, that'd be even better.

cy

Flashaholic
not aware of any designed for 14500, but several that runs 14500 with no problems. brightness usually at least doubles along with heat

Arc LS with 1x AA tailpack was the first. TNC AA is another, stoplight with BB or MM sammie. CNC 123 with 1x AA pack, Stainless Fenix L1+, etc

note overdriving is done at your own risks. out of all the lights I've stuck li-ions into. I have only killed one board and two luxeons.

first was running 1x R123 in Arc LSH with TWOH. when VIN exceeds VF, light is running in direct drive. true Hbin will draw over 2amps and can kill emitter. which then kills board.

second luxeon killed with driving 2x 18650's in a Mr Bulk SNII direct drive light. was real bright for a few short minutes.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some folks that have mentioned using the L2P head on the L1P body with a 14500 cell. Brighter than the L2P. I'm not recommending this, but others have tried it and it has worked... nothing died instantly from what I've read.

Also, if you can compromise on the 2 level requirement, one of the cut down Minimags with a Lux III sammie would work. You could even get one bored out to accept a 20mm reflector for a tighter beam and more throw if that's what you're after.

Though I'm sure it's not what you're looking for, but the light I use around the house the most is a Minimag clone with a clickie, using one of the Peak Snow 29 LEDs driven on a 14500 and a dummy cell. I lightly sand the front half of the LED (making it look frosted) and sputter the reflector. The result is about 80% hotspot and 20% spill and it runs pretty much forever on the 14500 cell.

Edit - also, LED_ASAP was doing a Lux III mod using the Inova X1 as the host. I contacted him about making one using the 14500 cell instead of an NiMH and he said as long as I provided him with a couple 14500 cells for testing, he could probably make it work. This was almost a year ago. You might try getting ahold of him. He does great work and personally, I prefer the feel of the X1 to the Fenix.

Last edited:

PaulB

Newly Enlightened
I modded one of these to run on a 14500:
http://store.advancedmart.com/5waposiledke.html

I removed all the original electronics and made it a direct drive TWAK (1A draw initially, then about 750mA), cut-down 17mm reflector, aluminum heatsink AND 1/2" copper pipe fitted perfect inside between the body and 14500, VERY bright. Will NOT work on AA anymore(of course!)

You could use an L or M bin to get less current draw.

Last edited: