Need help from professionals to modify the ultimate pocket flood light :)

floscherl

Newly Enlightened
I want to buy a flashlight (Surefire L4 or Nuwai TM-301-X-5 or maybe a Likki Lite SL-13) and then modify it into the ultimate pocket rocket flood light ;)

Nuwai
TM-301-X-5 $65
WXOS Star $46
FluPIC $26<-the FluPIC is NOT Lux V compatible :( are there other modules?
Glass Lens $10
Shipping $10
------------------
Total $157

Surefire L4 $144
Shipping $ 5
-----------------
Total $149

Pro Nuwai:
+i think more output with WXOS
+could use rechargeables?
+i hope longer runtime on high, because the unmodded Nuwai runs 1h 50min on flashlightreviews and the Surefire 1h 21min, but that could be the lower output from the Nuwai :(

Pro Surefire:
+cheaper
+HIII and not only HII finish
+more output unmodded
+high quality lens :)
+oh...and it´s a Surefire ;)

So i think, modify a QIII with FluPic and glass lens (Total $70 or $94 with TWOH bin :D) would be much more wise than mod a X-5 :)

Is there another flashlight in this price category (HDS ?) with such a flood output?

Did anyone modify a Likki Lite SL-13?

BTW, what bin is inside the L4 and did somebody replace the original one?

:thanks: for help!

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option if you want a longer running flood, is a forum member modded an Inova X5T with 5 Nichia CS LEDs and a DB500 convertor board... should be screaming bright and should run much longer than two hours.

Also, the Q3 will have pretty wide flood even with a Lux III. I had a Q3 modded with a TW0J and ran it with an R123 cell... very impressive for the size. It came with a 2 stage tailcap clickie and I think I only gave $45 or $50 for it. Just another option. You could do the same thing but with a U bin Lux III for more output but there aren't many J and K Vf Lux III U-bins to be found so it might take some searching.

floscherl

Newly Enlightened
THX cratz2 and greenLED :)

Very interesting ideas. I think a QIII with R123 and UX1K would be VERY nice. I also ordered a FluPIC board from goldserve for the QIII, so no 2-stage clickie but tons of optiosn :D

270winchester wrote:
Get a Lux V star and drop it in, the stock circuit will work with it as long as you use a 3.7 Li-Ion 123, the out put is a pure flood. the stock reflector is a very nice chooice for a luxV flood light, the IMS20 and McR20 makes the beam too donut hole like.

Hmm interesting, could anyone confirm this :confused:
I also take a look at the Inova X5T Nichia CS LED and Infinity Ultra MM+ board+Lux mod.

BTW, the 19-LED Quake II from Advancemart (thx Paul for the tip ;)) is also a good flood deal I think, but no mod there :D

It´s time to mod, so dismissed your :paypal: and :takeit: buttons for a while and get on with it ;)

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say go for a Gerber infinity with a Nichia CS and polished reflector mod to tide you over till you can evaluate Endeavours CR2 Ion (or just wait for the Ion!). The Ion uses a Cree Xlamp LED which is Born to Flood and runs on a CR2. Price at release is 145.00 and it should put out around 60 lumens. Although some of the combos you mentioned might be a little bit brighter, the 2 stage Ion is MUCH smaller and expected runtime of 1.5 hr on high is in the ballpark of the 2 cell lights you mentioned. The Ion is also fully regulated (not resistored!) in both stages so you'll benefit from constant light output. With flupic mods you will experience some dimming and are stuck with li-ion. The Ion is limited to using CR2 primary cells though.

Endeavour is expecting to begin shipping sometime in January so unless you are living in a cave the wait shouldn't be too bad.

OR

My current EDC is a UX1K/Flupic/Mcr18/Li-ion modded Fenix L1P. The form factor of the Fenix blows away all you've mentioned (IMO) and it puts out a great flood light. The U bin was a waste of money though. Nice tint but the difference between say 50 lumens all the way up to like 120 lumens really isn't that dramatic, at least when compared in the same reflector. Stick with a T bin if you go this route and it's likely that a T**H would be brighter with a Flupic/DD setup (some overdriving at this vf I believe) than a k vf U bin. I really like this as an EDC but it does have limits, namely being stuck with li-ion. My only other complaint after owning an Arc4, hds u60, lionheart v1 and v2 and now flupic fenix is that I'm getting pretty sick of all the button pushing and interface adjusting. I'm looking forward to the simple "turn some for low, turn a little bit more for high" of the Ion.

Just my 2 cents:nana:

Last edited:

floscherl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks xochi but i live in a cave :(

It is cold, it is wet and no internet, i morse the messages with an old flashlight
AZ247921_100.jpg
and a nice guy out there would write everything in this forum for me :D

Internet connection is bad here in Austria, but not sooooo bad ;)

I totally forgot the CR2 Ion, nice light. Hope there would be some beamshots soon, that i could get some before they will have sold out :)
The only BIG fail is the CR2 only option :( If I could use RCR2, the light would be awesome :)

I know that full regulated is much better than resistor "regulated".

Hmmm a
UX1K/Flupic/Mcr18/Li-ion modded Fenix L1P :)

My Fenix is shipped, my FluPIC also and i think a TWOH is also somewhere ;) Is the Mcr18 reflector for sale anywhere? And then i need a 3,6V AA battery right? Or is there a rechargeable one?

Oh, thanks for your 2 cents, some more and i could buy a resistor for clickie mods ;)

Last edited: