ulteon iLUMiBEAM XL-1 flashlight

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
has anyone seen this single CR123 LED light?
ulteon iLUMiBEAM XL-1 flashlight
I got one on ebay for about $35 shipped. It's claimed to outpower the QIII, it does, it also blows away my newly beloved Dorcy CR123 (at twice the price it should:sssh: ) It has replaced my cherished FENIX 1LP on my keychain.
I'd like to know how the ulteon iLUMiBEAM XL-1 flashlight matches up against the "AMILITE" or "Peak CPF special". Thanks again to everyone here for the heads up on the $19.95 Dorcy sale at Sears:rock:
f0_1.JPG

you can get one here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8743371942&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT

Last edited:

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TF1 head looks a lot like a SureFire E series head. Ive never heard of Ulteon before. Is it a new manufacturer or distributor?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Since the Ulteon XL-1 uses a Luxeon Star I (1watt) and the Nuwai uses a 3 watt, you can expect the Ulteon XL-1 to shine longer and brighter.

a LuxI shining longer and brighter than a LuxIII?
:huh2: :confused: :thinking:

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, I wouldnt expect it to have neer the output of amilite or peak.

-David

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of these on ebay a few weeks ago, and did a thread comparing it to the exact two lights you asked about, the AmiLite and the Peak CPF Special. While the Ami and the Peak did out-shine and out-throw it, the iLUMiBEAM did VERY respectfully! The Peak CPF Special was CLEARLY the winner out of the three, bit the iLUMiBEAM did VERY well against the AmiLite! The AmiLite out-threw it by a HAIR...and I mean a HAIR; it was THAT close! The Ami had a slightly brighter spill, again, not by much. In the run-time category it wasn't even close...the iLUMiBEAM blew the AmiLite away. I was up to 1:45 on the iLUMiBEAM's 123 cell, and noticed no dimming (...to my naked eye, anyway). The only thing I didn't like about the iLUMiBEAM is that it's beam was just a tad bit too bluish for my liking when compared to the other two. Another plus for the iLUMiBEAM was that I took a chance and tried running it on RCR123's (the same ones that came with the CPF Special), and with them it out-shined (brighter) and out-threw the AmiLite, by a NOTICABLE margin! I ran it on the RCR123's for about ten minutes straight, and during that time it did get warm, but not as warm as the AmiLite or the Peak CPF Special. If you decide to run yours off of RCR123's, do so at your own risk...mine did fine, but it doesn't mean that they all will. IMHO, the iLUMiBEAM is a VERY good bang for the buck light, and well worth a little attention! YMMV...

PJD

...one more thing; I don't think the iLUMiBEAM uses a genuine Lumileds lux I. I took the head of mine apart and looked athe back of the star and there were NO bin numbers of any kind, which leads me to believe that it's a clone of some sort. On another note, the light is VERY WELL put together, and appears to be heat sunk VERY well! It has a very nice thermal path from the star, to the bezel, right to the body of the light.

EDIT: I had the TF-1, NOT the XL-1...

Last edited:

colubrid

Enlightened
I am interested in getting one of these but would like to see a real life pic (not an advertisment pic) first. Can anyone post a pic of theirs?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one as well from the GB. I am very pleased with it. Very powerful throw with some decent spill as well. Great buy for $22.

As far as size goes, it is a little shorter than the L1P, but feels much shorter because of its larger diameter (if that makes any sense).

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
....I also got one of the XL-1s for $20 plus $2.55 shipping in the group buy. It is a handsome light and seems to be well made. Especially considering the price. In comparing it to my Amilite and Peak CPF Special I see the same results as PJD does. With a primary cell it's output is slightly behind the Amilite and way behind the Peak CPF with it's rechargeable lithium ion battery. I put a rechargeable lithium ion into the XL-1 and it is still not quite as bright as the Peak CPF Special but has lots more throw than the Amilite with it's 123 primary cell. Where the XL-1 really falls behind these two great lights is that it has less of a spillbeam and it does have some artifacts in the spillbeam, whereas the Amilite and Peak CPF Special have really clean spillbeams. The other drawback I see with this light is that it is very fat and heavy for a single 123 light. Too big around for comfortable pocket carry. For the price the XL-1 is very impressive. BTW, one other light I compare to these is my Nuwai Q3 running on a rechargeable battery. With the extra voltage of the rechargeable battery the Q3 has throw almost as good as these other lights and it has a really nice beautiful spillbeam. All four of these lights deliver lots of light and quality at their respective price points.
jc

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul_in_Maryland said:
How did you attach it? The photos show no apparent attachment points.
Hello Paul
there is one small hole on the side of the endcap
I made several attempts using fishing line almost lost the light. then I got ome stiff wire at the hardware store and all's well
how bout those Terps??

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
adirondackdestroyer said:
I bought one as well from the GB. I am very pleased with it. Very powerful throw with some decent spill as well. Great buy for $22. .
WTG on that deal $22 I paid $37 shipped 2 months ago