LumiLEDs is the Sales Spin Leader for the LED market

*Retired*
LumiLEDs latest press release reports 23 lm/$.

http://www.lumileds.com/newsandevents/releases/PR45.pdf

I just ordered and received on the 10th of January LXHL-PW09 Bin SX1J.

At 3.45 each.

A S brightness bin is 51.7 to 67.2 lumens according to AB21, Luxeon Product Binning and Labeling .

This works out to 14.99 lumens per dollar on the low side, to 19.5 Lumens per dollar on the high side.

Neither of which meet their advertized 23lm/$.

"A white LUXEON ® III Emitter, for example, is now priced at $3.45 for quantities less than 10,000 units; this delivers an incredible 23 lumens per
dollar."

Is LumiLEDs becomming a sale spin company now?

Why are they forced to take such shady measures?

Competition, market forces, lost sales?

From the press release:
"LUXEON® LEDs are the Value Leader"

Maybe we should rephrase that:
"LUXEON® LEDs is the Sales Spin Leader"

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, but they didn't say which flux bin they were using for their calculations.

If you use the T bin for your calculations, then the figures range from 19 to 25 lumens per dollar.

There's always a way to wiggle. :D

Last edited:

DCFluX

Newly Enlightened
What is the brightest Luxeon III or V Parts avalible at the moment? Someone said it was 45 lumens per watt, but that doesn't make sense as the III data sheet says it is in the 80 lumen range, shouldn't it be 135?

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
U binned Lux IIIs are available, although at a premium price mind you, and their output ranges from 87 to 113 lumems. There have been reported sightings of a V binned Lux IIIs, but those are not available, at least not to mere mortals.

W binned Lux Vs are available also and their ouput is 147 to 192 lumens.

Brlux

Enlightened
So NewBie do you have issues with the Luxeon LED? I think I have seen several less than positive posts about Lumileds products from you. I hope that this is not read wrong. It's not that I am mocking you or anything. If there is someting about them that you think does not hold up to the hype I would be intertained to hear it.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
They base their claim on a "typical" III with 80 Lm.
This puts them in the T bin range.
It may be hype or it may be that the volume buyers are getting product that centers around the T bin and the small volume buyer gets whats left over.

*Retired*
Brlux said:
So NewBie do you have issues with the Luxeon LED? I think I have seen several less than positive posts about Lumileds products from you. I hope that this is not read wrong. It's not that I am mocking you or anything. If there is someting about them that you think does not hold up to the hype I would be intertained to hear it.

First off, you should notice I purchased them, so issues? No. In fact I've purchased quite a few, many times.

Maybe you just don't understand the hype in their press release.

Lets put it in a simpler mind frame for you.

Lets make 1 Lumen = 10 Horsepower (It isn't, it is for the sake of example.)

I advertise our cars get 230 Horsepower.

So lets substitute:

"A white LUXEON ® III Sportser, for example, is now priced at $3.45 for quantities less than 10,000 units; this delivers an incredible 230 horsepower per dollar."

Now I hand you the cash and you sell me a car. It gets 149 horsepower. So I take it back. We go thru all the cars at the dealership and find one that can do 195 horsepower. None that can attain 230 horsepower. The sales guy says, you have to accept the 145 horsepower car (no you cannot trade it), as this is what we have in stock. But I can assure you that other dealerships have cars that can get 230 horsepower.

So, would you be happy with your car that has 149 horsepower, even though it is advertized as 230 horsepower? If you got really pissed and moaned groaned and you hired a lawyer, and got the best car on the lot that had 195 horsepower, would you be pleased?

How would you feel about the advertizing that stated 230 horsepower?

So, if LumiLEDs claims 23 lumens per dollar in their advertizing and on their Luxeon pages, and they ship parts that are 14.99 to 19.5 lumens per dollar to you, can you see the parallel?

If the dealer sold you the car, and it was missing 35% of it's claimed performance, where would that put you, as far as customer satisfaction?
Would you be any happier if it was missing 15% of it's claimed performance?

Now lets take real world numbers, just so folks can see what really happens:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
What if I told you that the core of the engine block had to be held below 25 degrees Celcius, in order to attain even the 149 horsepower? Then I showed you on a chart, that in typical usage, the engine would reach 80 degrees C, and you'd loose a further 20% of your horsepower?

So now, once your car warms up, you are missing 55% of the claimed horsepower?

For reference, I will further refer you to page 10, the first graph, follow the line for white, to 80 degrees Celcius.
http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/DS45.PDF

But wait you say, it doesn't reach 80 degrees C. Yes it does.

The top of Page 7 shows you the Thermal Resistance from die to slug. It is 13C/W. Let see, we have a 3 Watt Luxeon, so the temperature will rise by 13 C/W * 3 Watts = 39 degrees Celcius rise.

So, a fella thinks so what...

Ah, lets look at the significance of this 39C rise in the die temperature a little deeper. The ambient temperature is 25 degrees Celcius. The die will rise by 39 degrees C. So 25C + 39C = 64 Degrees C.

So, there you say, the die didn't rise to 80C.

Ah, but wait...any practical heatsink you have will rise in temperature. If you have ever held a Luxeon LED flashlight in your hand, you will notice how it's gets pretty warm with a little use. Lets just say it gets a little warm and rises by 16 degrees C (which is probably an underestimate).

Well now, we have a heatsink that has risen in temperature by 16C. So we take the ambient temp of 25C, and add the 16C, and you get a flashlight body temperature of 41C (pretty low, we have seen lights that reach 70C...).

So, then a fella thinks, so what.

Well take the Flashlight temperature of 41C, which means the slug of the Luxeon will be no less than 41C (probably hotter in reality), then we add the 39C rise from the Luxeon slug to the die in the Luxeon.

Bingo, there is your 80 degree C rise, and you loose an additional 20% of the output, as shown by the chart on Page 10.

So, now your advertised car that did 230 horsepower, now gets 126.5 horsepower.

(btw, notice how lumens are measured at 25C Tj, which is the LED die junction temperature- Refer to page 4, http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/DS45.PDF)

Remember, the beef on the whole deal was only about the shipment of parts that didn't meet their advertising claims. Not about the lumen depreciation due to temperature, that I just talked about.

For those too new to understand what a SX1J emitter is, I will refer you to Page 3, Table 4. This will show you the actual Lumen output of the S bin.
http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/AB21.PDF

Divide that by the 3W input power that the part is binned at, and you arrive at the lm/W. For the S bin, this works out to 51.7 to 67.2 lumens.

Price was 3.45 ea. So if we take 51.7 lumens, and divide by 3.45, you arrive at 14.985 lumens per dollar. And if we take the top end of the S bin, 67.2 lumens and divide that by 3.45, you arrive at 19.478 lumens per dollar.

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
OK, so what is the lumens/$ of those much anticipated K2's and when do we see them? :nana:

DCFluX

Newly Enlightened
We have some K2 samples but practically had to beg to one of Lumileds biggest distributors to get them. I am not that impressed, then again I was looking at them almost completely unfocused at approx 120 degrees.

There are issues with the lens being non-solid so it practically requires a glass or plastic optic to protect it. Of course this may change in the final model, but so far the samples we have gotten are "gooey".

They added an extra 2 leads to the package, which would of been a good idea to connect them so more current could get from the board into the device but they are left N/C.

They also seem to have a thermal run-away problem. Example: In a over driving experement we started with a current of 700mA on the LED and after 5 seconds the LED exponetially started to draw more current, we stoped the supply at 1400mA for fear of damaging the hard to come by chips. We were told by the distributor that these would handle 1000mA and just keep grining, Then again we were running a constant voltage bench top supply and not a current source.

There are much better designed 1W parts by other companies from a thermal and optical stand point IMO.

*Retired*
DCFluX said:
What is the brightest Luxeon III or V Parts avalible at the moment? Someone said it was 45 lumens per watt, but that doesn't make sense as the III data sheet says it is in the 80 lumen range, shouldn't it be 135?

I think folks got their numbers all mixed up.

45 lumens a watt is LumiLEDs claim for their Luxeon I. And remember you have to hold the die down at 25C, not the slug, to attain that number. Thus you will have to essentially freeze the slug in order to keep the die down at 25C.
http://www.lumileds.com/newsandevents/releases/PR37.pdf

Their efficiencies don't get that high in a Luxeon III. If you look at the datasheet, they will put out 65 lumens with three watts in, typically. This works out to about 25.8 lm/w with a T flux bin. And with those, to get that, you have to cool the slug below freezing. Otherwise, subtract about another 20% in lumen output for typical well done heatsinking.
http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/DS45.PDF
http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/AB21.PDF

Brlux

Enlightened
Good post NewBie. Thanks for taking the time to share and putting it into the parable of the misadvertised horsepower.

Thats what I like about this place, many different opinions from Lots of people with incredeible insight on different topics.

Thanks
Brlux

L.E.D.

Enlightened
(LumiLEDs F'in owns) Yeah, but all that aside, Luxeons rule as they're some of the best LED's available and are the standard for use in "high performance" L.E.D. flashlights at the current moment. Point me to an LED type that is comparable to Luxeon, Newbie. I think you mentioned Cree X Lamps or something before, but then I read another post mentioning poor thermal tollerances and shabby thermal paths. Now about Nichia Jupiters, not sure. I have a River Rock lantern and 2AA light, and they seem to be decent. But hmmm, why does my Inova Radiant with a high dome Lux I run for 6 hours with a starting total output of almost twice that of the RR, while the RR runs for only 3? Both have similar output regulation curves with the RR's being only slightly flatter.

Learjet

Enlightened
It seems laboratory specs and real world specs are never the same. Guess which spec they quote when marketing the thing. Yes sir it definitely is this bright, but forgets to mention only at -300 degrees, in a vacuum, in total darkness, in zero G, 14 light years from the sun. :D